C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

amg deck spoiler from jbspeed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
amg deck spoiler from jbspeed

i just purchased anamg rear deck spoiler from jbspeed. it looks great. i just wanted to know if anyone has experience in installing it. looks pretty simple (it comes with double sided tape). is there something i should do to the paint, besides washing it, to allow the spoiler to adhere better? any recommendations would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I have the same decklid spoiler. Great piece. Very strong recommendation for adding a bead of urethane the full length of the spoiler (MB makes a urethane product in a squeeze tube), taping the spoiler down, and keeping it still for several hours...no driving...so there is no flex while it cures. There have been a few reports on even well-applied tape coming loose. The spoiler will be very difficult to remove, if you ever want to do so, but it can be done. Meanwhile, think of the people in the car behind you on the highway.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I have the same decklid spoiler. Great piece. Very strong recommendation for adding a bead of urethane the full length of the spoiler (MB makes a urethane product in a squeeze tube), taping the spoiler down, and keeping it still for several hours...no driving...so there is no flex while it cures. There have been a few reports on even well-applied tape coming loose. The spoiler will be very difficult to remove, if you ever want to do so, but it can be done. Meanwhile, think of the people in the car behind you on the highway.
do not do this... unless u plan on having this on your car forever... the homie took his off and the urethane took off his paint.. just cut more strips of heavy duty double side tape that should do it...
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I have never had a problem with the urethane. I have gone through 3 or 4 spoilers and everything has been good.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:47 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
thanks for all of your replies. should i clean the trunk with any type of special cleaner? i heard of someone cleaning it with alcohol first. any truth to this?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Alcohol is a good way to go. A clean surface helps with the bonding.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by ulovemybenzo
do not do this... unless u plan on having this on your car forever... the homie took his off and the urethane took off his paint.. just cut more strips of heavy duty double side tape that should do it...
Whatever the "homie" did, he did it incorrectly. Urethane is not inherently damaging, just more challenging to remove, and it can be done without damaging paint if someone knows what they are doing. In any event, the lives of someone behind you in traffic trump any concern about a paint repair. The spoiler is just about the right height to penetrate a following windshield. If you're not prepared to understand that, don't put the spoiler on your car.

Trending Topics

Old 10-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Niti24

Whatever the "homie" did, he did it incorrectly. Urethane is not inherently damaging, just more challenging to remove, and it can be done without damaging paint if someone knows what they are doing. In any event, the lives of someone behind you in traffic trump any concern about a paint repair. The spoiler is just about the right height to penetrate a following windshield. If you're not prepared to understand that, don't put the spoiler on your car.
When I first purchased my CF trunk spoiler from JBSpeed, I thought I'll just put it on with the tape they equipped it with. I remember you saying to put urethane but I thought this should be fine. Now it's been about 8 months since I've had it on and I noticed that it started getting loose. Not loose around the corners but towards the middle. It doesn't look like it's holding on good and I probably will be taking it off and putting the urethane which I probably should have done. I don't know why I didn't put it on the first place but I sure will do it now. Can you tell me where I can purchase it?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Niti24
When I first purchased my CF trunk spoiler from JBSpeed, I thought I'll just put it on with the tape they equipped it with. I remember you saying to put urethane but I thought this should be fine. Now it's been about 8 months since I've had it on and I noticed that it started getting loose. Not loose around the corners but towards the middle. It doesn't look like it's holding on good and I probably will be taking it off and putting the urethane which I probably should have done. I don't know why I didn't put it on the first place but I sure will do it now. Can you tell me where I can purchase it?
I wish I could, but I've learned to rely on the experts at MotorWerks in Commerce, Michigan. They taught me about this issue, and showed me the process when they did my car. The urethane they used is a Mercedes Benz product and comes in a squeeze tube, like toothpaste, but black. I think my first stop would either be an auto supply store for comparable products, or go the MB dealer parts department. I don't see this category of products on a MB parts website I just checked.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I learned about the tape being no good the hard way. I tried using tape only on my roof spoiler and it flew off on the highway. Thank goodness it was 1am and nobody was on the road behind me. This will never happen to me again.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
Originally Posted by dynomite05
I learned about the tape being no good the hard way. I tried using tape only on my roof spoiler and it flew off on the highway. Thank goodness it was 1am and nobody was on the road behind me. This will never happen to me again.
that sux!!! but about the paint coming off.. ask normandie he'll tell u
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 Sport LOADED
I think 3M doubleside adhesive tape holds spoiler strong enough. I tried to pull it doesn't even move. Maybe because I have put extra tape on the spoiler. It's all good. I like it. They are great.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Niti24

I wish I could, but I've learned to rely on the experts at MotorWerks in Commerce, Michigan. They taught me about this issue, and showed me the process when they did my car. The urethane they used is a Mercedes Benz product and comes in a squeeze tube, like toothpaste, but black. I think my first stop would either be an auto supply store for comparable products, or go the MB dealer parts department. I don't see this category of products on a MB parts website I just checked.
Yea I'd rather go the extra mile to get than done rather than let $300 fly off my car. Plus I don't want it to hit someone else on their windshield.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The homie.

Man, I wish I wasn't so impatient with my spoiler.

I put it on without any extra tape or adhesive. I just wiped down my trunk lid, and put it on. I even noticed it didn't stick perfectly all the way around (some parts just didn't flex enough to get a true grab on the trunk). I immediately drove it afterward, then noticed when I got to my destination, that the middle part closest to the rear window wasn't sticking. I literally sat on that area (with my arms), and each area of the spoiler aside from it for like 5 minutes, and it was/is nice and stuck on.

It seems to be stuck on well (the spoiler), but I could have taken the extra steps. I even get worried when the car gets wet, as I'm afraid there might be tiny areas where the water can seep through.

Last edited by K-A; 10-15-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
I ordered mine from JBSpeed also, but I had the body shop at the dealership put it on for me. That way if anything happens, it falls back on them.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
dyno what did u use to install your roof spoiler?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by 97W202
dyno what did u use to install your roof spoiler?
I had my shop install it after it flew off. I didn't want to take the chance again. I will try and find out what they used.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:19 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
3M Double Sided Automotive is secure enough as long as you apply it properly. Surface needs to be properly prepped by removing all contaminants and LSP. Clay the surface, then do an IPA wipedown. Same goes for the underside of the spoiler. I apply my own tape as I'm not sure how properly prepped the underside of the spoiler was coming out of the factory. Heat up the adhesive with a hair dryer or heat gun prior to application and make sure the surface of the car is warm/hot to touch. Apply the spoiler taped down from one side to the other to prevent any arches or air pockets. Then tape it down tight and slight downward pressure (books or weights work great) and allow to sit in sun on warm day for a few hours to let the adhesive properly cure. This is the step several shops won't do cause they don't want the car/customer sitting there for a few hours, but is a good step to enforce.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
when my roof spoiler is presented there is about an inch gap between the glass and the spoiler, is this right?