C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

55w DDM HID - Amazing!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by 2010C300newbie
Do you have pics from your install?

I have a 2010 C300 Sport, and want to install the HID's & Eye lids.

I heard that removing the bumper is necessary to install HID's is this true?

Thanks.

There is an awesome tutorial from alexlev (I believe) if you take a moment and search for it he shows an awesome mounting spot for the ballasts.

It is a pretty tight space to work with but it should take about an hour or so.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by clkcadet
Just wanted to double confirm.... No error canceler needed? You just bought the 55w slim ballasts? I am deciding between 35w and 55w but this might make my choice easier as there are no extra cables needed.
Correct, I only bought the 55w slim digital ballasts, no error canceler or harness. But I am not sure if it is because it is 55w, or because it is a digital ballast, for why I haven't gotten the light out message. I have heard that the digital slim ballasts emit the error canceling codes, regardless of the wattage. But I am not positive. If you want to be on the safe side, just get the 55w. If you want to experiment or contact DDM to see if the 35w will work like this also, then feel free as well. Just don't hold me responsible if the 55w package gives you light out messages, maybe I am just lucky,

I installed the LED in my eyelids and the HID in my lowbeams, the bumper does not have to be taken off for either install. I don't have pictures of me actually installing either, but there are pictures on my photobucket (which I believe I posted the link earlier to) of after my install where everything went and such.

The thread you are probably referring to where he took off his front bumper to install HID was in his fog lights. Technically, you still can install the HID's in the fogs without removing your bumper, but taking it off makes it MUCH easier (aside from the actual removing your bumper part).
Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by jctevere
Correct, I only bought the 55w slim digital ballasts, no error canceler or harness. But I am not sure if it is because it is 55w, or because it is a digital ballast, for why I haven't gotten the light out message. I have heard that the digital slim ballasts emit the error canceling codes, regardless of the wattage. But I am not positive. If you want to be on the safe side, just get the 55w. If you want to experiment or contact DDM to see if the 35w will work like this also, then feel free as well. Just don't hold me responsible if the 55w package gives you light out messages, maybe I am just lucky,

I installed the LED in my eyelids and the HID in my lowbeams, the bumper does not have to be taken off for either install. I don't have pictures of me actually installing either, but there are pictures on my photobucket (which I believe I posted the link earlier to) of after my install where everything went and such.

The thread you are probably referring to where he took off his front bumper to install HID was in his fog lights. Technically, you still can install the HID's in the fogs without removing your bumper, but taking it off makes it MUCH easier (aside from the actual removing your bumper part).
I think you got lucky nearly everyone else is reporting they needed an erro canceler. I will wait another day or two to see if anyone else can confirm this as ddm says their 55w slim is out of stock
Old 11-01-2010, 09:14 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
Originally Posted by 2010C300newbie
Do you have pics from your install?

I have a 2010 C300 Sport, and want to install the HID's & Eye lids.

I heard that removing the bumper is necessary to install HID's is this true?

Thanks.

You don need to remove the bumper when installing the HId kit
but you will need to drill a hole on your dust cap

the only time you might need to remove your bumper is when installing hid for your fog. (i am pretty sure, but correct me if i am wrong)

there are tons of post that will show you how to change the bulb for eyebrow and installation for hid kit step by step.

here's a link for the eyebrow
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...elids-tb5.html
Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C230
^its a **** off, i ordered my kit weeks ago and tehy only msgd me the other day saying they expect a shipment in tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 AM

W204
Jctevere, is the bottom of your ballast silver metal or is it black? My friend has a set of the same kit from DDM and they're silver. I'm just wondering because it does not look like the bottoms of his ballasts were covered.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
The bottom of my kit is Silver metal. I have a 55w 8000k kit if that matters?

@clkcadet: Are you sure that the people who are saying they need the error canceler got the 55w kit, and that it is a slim one? I don't think they did as everyone was complaining about its size. I can't believe that it is just luck, because I have had them fire up at least 30-40 times now and no error and no flickering and they work everytime.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
The bottom of my kit is Silver metal. I have a 55w 8000k kit if that matters?

@clkcadet: Are you sure that the people who are saying they need the error canceler got the 55w kit, and that it is a slim one? I don't think they did as everyone was complaining about its size. I can't believe that it is just luck, because I have had them fire up at least 30-40 times now and no error and no flickering and they work everytime.
I hear ya but almost everyone opts for the 55w kit. I am going to try it out without them, worse case scenario I would order the cancellers from ddm and wait a couple extra days.

If it works I will report to the forums and hopefully we can save future hid buyers $15
Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
How is the cutoff?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
does anyone knows where to buy the dust cap?
i am having a leased vehicle so i dont want to drill holes on it~
or at least i need to get a pair of new dust cap when i turn them in!!!
anyone have any idea?!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 PM

2011 C300 4Matic
So I got my 55W DDM kit, no error canceler as suggested in this thread, and installed them. They fire up and stay on for about 10 seconds then immediately the left side blinks, right side blinks, and they both go out and stay out until I turn off the car and turn it back on, then the process repeats.
I called DDM cust service and get told that to their knowledge, ALL MB vehicles require the canceller to work properly.
Really sucks! Anybody else have this issue?

I have the slim black ballasts with DDM stamped on them, BTW.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM

08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by x942k6
does anyone knows where to buy the dust cap?
i am having a leased vehicle so i dont want to drill holes on it~
or at least i need to get a pair of new dust cap when i turn them in!!!
anyone have any idea?!
I'm interested in more caps as well. Hopefully there's a wholesaler or some other site to buy these.
I called Mercedes and they said it's only available as a whole headlight assembly, hopefully someone here knows an inside or another place to purchase.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
ordered a kit from ddm for my moms expedition... they emailed me that they were sending out the shipment 2 weeks after I had placed when supposedly the 35w kit that I ordered was in stock. This is why I didnt even want to bother with this company but regardless the kits is here now, big bulky ballast. Will let you know about any issues I encounter.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by 97W202
ordered a kit from ddm for my moms expedition... they emailed me that they were sending out the shipment 2 weeks after I had placed when supposedly the 35w kit that I ordered was in stock. This is why I didnt even want to bother with this company but regardless the kits is here now, big bulky ballast. Will let you know about any issues I encounter.

I was on the site I while ago and the big ballast were not in stock. You should have gotten the slim ballast $10 more.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
its an expo lol
Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
lol. Space is not a issue. It's funny because I was going to buy a set for my mom's explorer and I opened the hood to plan where I was going to mount the ballast and I could not decide because there was too much space.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
I placed an order for the slim ballast 35W for my fogs, I also bought the error cancellers but will try it first without and let you know if it throws any errors.

I did not buy the the H7 adapters yet as i was hoping that i could get away with it, would cost me $45 for those adapters (incl shipping to Canada). would suck if i will need them after all.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ratbike1
So I got my 55W DDM kit, no error canceler as suggested in this thread, and installed them. They fire up and stay on for about 10 seconds then immediately the left side blinks, right side blinks, and they both go out and stay out until I turn off the car and turn it back on, then the process repeats.
I called DDM cust service and get told that to their knowledge, ALL MB vehicles require the canceller to work properly.
Really sucks! Anybody else have this issue?

I have the slim black ballasts with DDM stamped on them, BTW.
That is very odd. Are you sure that you have fully plugged in the red and black cables into the stock wiring? Try flipping them around and see if they still work. You also shouldn't have to turn the car on and off, Just turn the lights on and off with the dial to the left of the steering wheel. What is confusing to me is that they turn on and are fine, but then turn off...
Old 11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by 2nice4me
I placed an order for the slim ballast 35W for my fogs, I also bought the error cancellers but will try it first without and let you know if it throws any errors.

I did not buy the the H7 adapters yet as i was hoping that i could get away with it, would cost me $45 for those adapters (incl shipping to Canada). would suck if i will need them after all.
I don't think that there is an fog light reporting error in our mercedes models? I could be wrong though. Try searching the forums for installing an HID kit without needing the H7 adaptor, I remember reading one a while back...
Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
How is the cutoff?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by 08SEA300
I'm interested in more caps as well. Hopefully there's a wholesaler or some other site to buy these.
I called Mercedes and they said it's only available as a whole headlight assembly, hopefully someone here knows an inside or another place to purchase.
You guys can all thank me later... Haha, just kidding:

http://www.vipgermanparts.com/partlo...layCatalogid=0
Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
there is a fog lamp error on our cars.

Guys quick question, after installing the hid fogs I noticed the driverside fog is aimed much higher than the passenger side.. is that normal? or is the passenger side the problem?

I believe I get the error sometimes (light stays on) because there is something wrong... the passenger side fog flickers minimal whn cold untill its warm and flickers no more.. any ideaS?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 PM

2011 C300 4Matic
That is very odd. Are you sure that you have fully plugged in the red and black cables into the stock wiring? Try flipping them around and see if they still work. You also shouldn't have to turn the car on and off, Just turn the lights on and off with the dial to the left of the steering wheel. What is confusing to me is that they turn on and are fine, but then turn off...

Thank you for replying.

Yes, I made certain all connections were good. I reversed polarity on both lights (red and black wires). Same deal. They turn on, stay lit for appx 5 seconds, then flicker and go out.

I bought some generic warning cancellers today and they solved the problem. They work great now.

My advice, if you're buying these kits, spend the extra couple bucks and get the cancellers.

Not sure if mine is different because it's a '11?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ratbike1
Thank you for replying.

Yes, I made certain all connections were good. I reversed polarity on both lights (red and black wires). Same deal. They turn on, stay lit for appx 5 seconds, then flicker and go out.

I bought some generic warning cancellers today and they solved the problem. They work great now.

My advice, if you're buying these kits, spend the extra couple bucks and get the cancellers.

Not sure if mine is different because it's a '11?
It may be possible that being a 2011 is different from a 2009. Sorry I gave you bad information. The weird part is, is that if I reverse the connections on my kit, it doesn't turn on at all... I'm glad that the generic error cancelers worked for you!

@ 97w202:
I believe that there is an adjustment screw accessible from the front of the foglight after you take off the mesh to point them up or down. (But I am not positive as to where it is, as I have never had to adjust them yet). As far as the flickering until it warms up. Do you have digital slim ballasts or bulky analog ballasts? Either way, to get rid of the flickering you will need to order a harness that will wire the ballasts directly into a fuse in your fuse box. Flickering is caused when the ballasts is not getting enough amperage at startup. Old analog bulky ballasts use upwards of 12A at startup, then go back down to normal power usage. Newer slim ballasts use at maximum 9A to startup, but most use less than that, and then they go back to normal power usage. The gauge wiring in our w204 vehicles is more than sufficient enough to carry the 9A. If your getting flickering, you can try a harness, but it might be that a cell in your battery is bad; or that the battery itself is going bad.

If you have anymore questions, just let me know.

Last edited by jctevere; 11-03-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
You guys can all thank me later... Haha, just kidding:

http://www.vipgermanparts.com/partlo...layCatalogid=0
!!!!!! thanks!!!!!
but isnt that for bmws?
is that gonna fit our w204?!?!

EDIT: OOPS!!! didnt see its for mercedes!! hahaha
thanks bro!!!

Last edited by x942k6; 11-04-2010 at 07:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 55w DDM HID - Amazing!!!