C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Blue smoke puff on my C300 !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 4matic luxury
Cool Blue smoke puff on my C300 !!!

Hi all...After my C300 sat for about a week, I noticed a puff of blue exhaust for a moment at initial cold startup....needless to say I was unpleasantly surprised...I have not been able to duplicate this in the last few days...I've had this car for 3 months, and admit I have driven it a bit slow,mostly stop/go,....It has 15,000 mi on it, and oil was supposedly changed when I bought it as a CPO...I assume dealer used Mobil1 ???....Oil level seems full...Any comments..suggestions ?...Should I be " blowing it out " every few days ?...Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
i remember someone else had this problem .. try "search" or just take it to the stealership..
Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 AM

2008 C300 Sport 6MT X-Pipe
This has happend to me too! My finding: If you start the car to move it, make sure you let it run at least until the idol kicks down or you will have blue/white smoke on the next startup. Unburned fuel must end up somewhere without proper warmup.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I suggest the blue smoke is more likely oil rather than fuel.

Oil must be entering the combustion chamber over the week lay off.

It could be oil vapour that has condensed in the valve cover draw off pipe & being burnt at start up.

Oil leaking past oil valve stem seals can cause this also.

I suggest that you have it checked out whilst under warranty.

Keep a close eye on your oil level.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 PM

2009 C300 4matic luxury
Occasional blue smoke at cold start

After studying this situation on my C300 I have determined that our cars do NOT like to be coldstarted then shutdown more than once or twice without at least some warmup....I think JFOUR hit the nail on the head....I have not been able to repeat my experience, until I forced the situation by starting the car cold backing it out of garage,shutting it down, starting it to move it , shutting it down...then letting it sit for a day...The following morning I started it, ran to rear of car and noticed a bit of light blue then dark puff on exhaust, then she ran clean !!....A bit strange...but then again this is my first Benz...ps- My oil level is , and has been at the full mark....PS...I do love this car,and am impressed in so many ways....
Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by TCP442
After studying this situation on my C300 I have determined that our cars do NOT like to be coldstarted then shutdown more than once or twice without at least some warmup....I think JFOUR hit the nail on the head....I have not been able to repeat my experience, until I forced the situation by starting the car cold backing it out of garage,shutting it down, starting it to move it , shutting it down...then letting it sit for a day...The following morning I started it, ran to rear of car and noticed a bit of light blue then dark puff on exhaust, then she ran clean !!....A bit strange...but then again this is my first Benz...ps- My oil level is , and has been at the full mark....PS...I do love this car,and am impressed in so many ways....
I think that it most cars. Dont cold start, move, and shut down.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by TCP442
Thanks for the follow up. Makes problem solving all the more interesting.