C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help, W204 c220 Cdi power Steering Leak.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 cdi
Angry Help, W204 c220 Cdi power Steering Leak.

Hi people,

Can anyone please advise me if those photo below looks normal to you?
I did an end of warranty inspection from independent machanic, I been told that there are minor power steering leak and I should get it fix before warranty ends. However when I take the car to dealer i been told that they cant see any leak and my car is normal. Then I take it to another dealer and been told the same thing. Even after I show them the photo. What can I do now if this leak get worse when warranty ends?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You have to be joking. That is not a minor leak & it must be affecting the power steering oil level reservoir . Have you had to top it up yet?.

Where are these dealers located ?. I will then know to avoid them !!

I would take it back to the dealer & ask to be present when they remove the under cover. Have the service manager there also & a camera & tape recorder.

I also had a power steering shaft leak . It was easily fixed by "retensioning the seal housing & pressure fitting on rack."

If no result contact MB & present the evidence.
Good luck & make sure you let us know how you go.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by bbcw1980
Hi people,

Can anyone please advise me if those photo below looks normal to you?
I did an end of warranty inspection from independent machanic, I been told that there are minor power steering leak and I should get it fix before warranty ends. However when I take the car to dealer i been told that they cant see any leak and my car is normal. Then I take it to another dealer and been told the same thing. Even after I show them the photo. What can I do now if this leak get worse when warranty ends?

Current MBs don't leak anything anywhere. If something is leaking, it's a warranty fix. It's hard to understand why a dealer would turn away a legitimate warranty repair since MB pays them to fix it.

What country is this? Not the UK, I hope.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 AM

C220 cdi
Angry

Originally Posted by Carsy
You have to be joking. That is not a minor leak & it must be affecting the power steering oil level reservoir . Have you had to top it up yet?.

Where are these dealers located ?. I will then know to avoid them !!

I would take it back to the dealer & ask to be present when they remove the under cover. Have the service manager there also & a camera & tape recorder.

I also had a power steering shaft leak . It was easily fixed by "retensioning the seal housing & pressure fitting on rack."

If no result contact MB & present the evidence.
Good luck & make sure you let us know how you go.

It is Sydney MB and Chatswood MB both saying that they are unable to find any leak.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 AM

C220 cdi
Originally Posted by RLE
Current MBs don't leak anything anywhere. If something is leaking, it's a warranty fix. It's hard to understand why a dealer would turn away a legitimate warranty repair since MB pays them to fix it.

What country is this? Not the UK, I hope.

This is Australia, I really dont know too.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
That is a bad leak. You need to get it fixed right away. It's dangerous. There is a recall on the W204 for leaky steering fluids. Looks like you're in need of the recall.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bbcw,

I have been looking for another W204 220CDI owner.Could you do me a favour when you have a minute ? . I have at cold start up quite a rattle at the front of the engine at the top. It sounds like my timing chain going over the top sprocket. It settles down over a few minutes but still cam be heard. My MB mechanic says it is normal so I am not too worried but I would like to compare with others to be sure.

For best results the plastic engine cover is removed.

Regarding your problem, I am wondering where the oil has come from other that the steering shaft. Has the oil level fallen in the power steering reservoir ? . If it is down then you have a leak.

Thinking outside the square, at your last oil change someone may have been clumsy & spilt some oil in this area.

The service manager should address your concerns as to where he thinks the oil staining has come from.Ask him for a logical explanation.

If you have no joy contact the MB Customer Assistance Centre . I have & had an instant response.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I know both those dealers - I used to live in Wollstonecraft North Sydney. Tell them to clean the area & check it was not a spill.

Was your car part of the PS tighten up recall?

The common leak spot for PS is the main pipe into the rack next to where the steering column exits. Sometimes requires an O ring & sometimes a complete pipe assembly. The banjo bolt on the pump never leaks.

If that is not a spill & only you can evaluate that - then the leak is unacceptable & they must fix it. That Chatswood dealer can be a knucklehead!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 AM

C220 cdi
Originally Posted by albert101
That is a bad leak. You need to get it fixed right away. It's dangerous. There is a recall on the W204 for leaky steering fluids. Looks like you're in need of the recall.
Dealer dont want to fix it, not sure what I can do here?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM

C220 cdi
Originally Posted by Carsy
bbcw,

I have been looking for another W204 220CDI owner.Could you do me a favour when you have a minute ? . I have at cold start up quite a rattle at the front of the engine at the top. It sounds like my timing chain going over the top sprocket. It settles down over a few minutes but still cam be heard. My MB mechanic says it is normal so I am not too worried but I would like to compare with others to be sure.

For best results the plastic engine cover is removed.

Regarding your problem, I am wondering where the oil has come from other that the steering shaft. Has the oil level fallen in the power steering reservoir ? . If it is down then you have a leak.

Thinking outside the square, at your last oil change someone may have been clumsy & spilt some oil in this area.

The service manager should address your concerns as to where he thinks the oil staining has come from.Ask him for a logical explanation.

If you have no joy contact the MB Customer Assistance Centre . I have & had an instant response.

Good luck.

Yes thanks for your input, I might call MB custmoer assistance. See what they say. my problem is MB dealer just dont want to have anything to do with it. all they say is no problem and independent guy dont know anything about benz. etc..

Regarding to the engine cold start noise, no, i dont have this rattle problem. either cold or warm sounds very much the same. however i do have this gearbox gear ratio mismatch issue. eg, uphill, 55km, 78km.

btw, i also have rattle at driver side dish board. Plus I have many electronic issue with this car. Sun roof no working, front light unit replace, etc.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 AM

C220 cdi
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I know both those dealers - I used to live in Wollstonecraft North Sydney. Tell them to clean the area & check it was not a spill.

Was your car part of the PS tighten up recall?

The common leak spot for PS is the main pipe into the rack next to where the steering column exits. Sometimes requires an O ring & sometimes a complete pipe assembly. The banjo bolt on the pump never leaks.

If that is not a spill & only you can evaluate that - then the leak is unacceptable & they must fix it. That Chatswood dealer can be a knucklehead!

Problem is they just keep saying no problem no oil leak, cant see anything, nothing they can do when it is prefect etc. free car wash and take ur car home. I might try parramatta.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 AM

C220 CDI
My 220CDI also has the noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. It is only on a cold start and lasts a few seconds. It sounds like a metallic rattle. The dealer was unable to hear it and did not know what it was but apparently they 'placed a washer' somewhere and it seemed to help for a while! The sound does worry me and I will take it up again with the dealer when I have time.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AAAC
My 220CDI also has the noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. It is only on a cold start and lasts a few seconds. It sounds like a metallic rattle. The dealer was unable to hear it and did not know what it was but apparently they 'placed a washer' somewhere and it seemed to help for a while! The sound does worry me and I will take it up again with the dealer when I have time.
Thanks AAAC. Let me know how you go. JC
Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 PM

C250 CDI BE Sport
I got a letter in the post about this... my car has been re called for an inspection, reference P159

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...Power_Steering
Old 11-18-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes - that's the recall I mentioned above. Requires a re-torque.