C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

c300 perfomance upgrades? headers? exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 mercedes c300
c300 perfomance upgrades? headers? exhaust?

i heard not much u can do to the motor> i was told k&n air filter... helps.. i recently saw headers for this car. what will this do for my car..what about a chip..?. i no its cheap but i took the factory x pipe on car and ran straight pipe to the resonator and i left them on but gutted the resonator and left mufflers on.. it sounds good. wat will make it sound better and better perfomance? i am not trying to have my car sounding like a honda lol
Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by cole79
i heard not much u can do to the motor> i was told k&n air filter... helps.. i recently saw headers for this car. what will this do for my car..what about a chip..?. i no its cheap but i took the factory x pipe on car and ran straight pipe to the resonator and i left them on but gutted the resonator and left mufflers on.. it sounds good. wat will make it sound better and better perfomance? i am not trying to have my car sounding like a honda lol
What? I dont undertstand the last 3 sentences.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
lol

Andy
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I was told by the AMG guys that the ECU tune would change the sound a bit due to the more aggressive timing. I am waiting until I go in for my next oil change to get tuned but has anyone that has had their ECU reflashed noticed a more aggresive/changed sound?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Straight pipes will not give you any increase on performance.
K&N filters, free flow mufflers and an ECU tune will give a HP increase.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I was told by the AMG guys that the ECU tune would change the sound a bit due to the more aggressive timing. I am waiting until I go in for my next oil change to get tuned but has anyone that has had their ECU reflashed noticed a more aggresive/changed sound?
ECU tune does make the exhaust sound a little deeper.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM

2009 mercedes c300
Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
What? I dont undertstand the last 3 sentences.

yea it was a little unclear.. my buddy said he left the resonators on.. but gutted them.. and ran straight pipes from the headers to the resonators.. it sounds a lot better than stock.. unless he is bull****ing me... i did see where he ran straight pipes off the headers . if i remember correctly the car from factory has a x pipe in front of the resonators. he removed that and straight piped it to the resonator and left the mufflers on.. it does sound good.. not raspy or like a suped up honda.. is he bull****ing me when he said he gutted the resonators? why didnt he just take them off>
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM

2009 mercedes c300
Originally Posted by tanktube67
Straight pipes will not give you any increase on performance.
K&N filters, free flow mufflers and an ECU tune will give a HP increase.

thank you... i was short on cash with the exhaust so i did what bunch people did on you tube... i didnt take off my resonators i just gutted them out and i straight pipe car from headers to the mufflers. wat do you recommend or have done.. and two more things..where can u get a ecu tune and wat do after market headers do..?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
I got the powerchip tune and put some cone air filters on my C350 and the car is more responsive, it is noticable, but its not night and day as though you are driving a totally different car or anything.

I'd recommend the ECU tune by powerchip though, esp for the current group buy price.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
thank you... i was short on cash with the exhaust so i did what bunch people did on you tube... i didnt take off my resonators i just gutted them out and i straight pipe car from headers to the mufflers. wat do you recommend or have done.. and two more things..where can u get a ecu tune and wat do after market headers do..?
What about the cats and the O2 sensors?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by RLE
What about the cats and the O2 sensors?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
yea it was a little unclear.. my buddy said he left the resonators on.. but gutted them.. and ran straight pipes from the headers to the resonators.. it sounds a lot better than stock.. unless he is bull****ing me... i did see where he ran straight pipes off the headers . if i remember correctly the car from factory has a x pipe in front of the resonators. he removed that and straight piped it to the resonator and left the mufflers on.. it does sound good.. not raspy or like a suped up honda.. is he bull****ing me when he said he gutted the resonators? why didnt he just take them off>
Your friend should have just replace the stock resonator with x-pipe and left everything else untouched

The x-pipe alone will give your car a more deeper sound in the 3,500-4000 RPM mark
Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
The resonators ARE an x-pipe, so putting an x-pipe in front of the resonator is pretty stupid and pointless. The reason people delete their resonator for an x-pipe is to eliminate the sound dampening and increase flow. I can't even tell what you are talking about here honestly. So when he straight piped from his headers, did he delete his catalytic converters? If all he did was drop the resonator and gut it, he wouldn't need a straight pipe anywhere.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 AM

2009 mercedes c300
Originally Posted by Peabody
The resonators ARE an x-pipe, so putting an x-pipe in front of the resonator is pretty stupid and pointless. The reason people delete their resonator for an x-pipe is to eliminate the sound dampening and increase flow. I can't even tell what you are talking about here honestly. So when he straight piped from his headers, did he delete his catalytic converters? If all he did was drop the resonator and gut it, he wouldn't need a straight pipe anywhere.

thank you... i will talk to him tomorrow and tell him what you said......
Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Lol, it sounds like maybe he just gutted out the resonator so that it is a "straight pipe". The terminology is just off. I doubt that anyone with a brain and knows a little bit about cars would never straight pipe from the headers to the resonator... The car would throw an error code for bad O2 sensor, right?