C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Removing CATS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C-300 Sport 2009 Manual Black XPIPE+Exhaust
Removing CATS

A couple of us on this forum are considering it however it will most likely turn on check engine light plus voids the warranty (witch i dont care about I never take it to the dealer) I can always put it back.

Question to all of you benz owners, besides the obvious as I mentioned about the check engine light and the warranty anything else we should know before doing it?

-Will it damage anything else on the car?

-Has anyone done it before dose it sound like ****?

DO NOT reply if you dont know and just want to make a smart comment example:

"Why would you do that in the first place?"
"It will sound horrible!"---thats what some people said about removing mufflers and resonators and it turned out great.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
You forgot to bring up the most important point, and the reasons that the CATS are on the car in the first place:

Environmental Impact

Why would you want to remove them? Just for the "sound"? Really?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
It would definitely turn on the check engine light. I know a guy who removed the cats on his v8 mustang gt. It is loud as hell because of that. Personally, I think it sounds good, but it is a v8, I can only speculate that a v6 will sound louder, but the louder sound may not sound good and throaty like the v8. Obviously, he needs to replace the cats for emission inspections yearly, which is annoying.

Aside from the cosmetic side, because there will be no downstream oxygen sensor, the car won't know how the exhaust coming out of the car is, and will only adjust based on optimal fuel/air mixture in the main in-engine oxygen sensor. This means that your engine will create more power, but also use more fuel. Not to mention the environmental impact. Unregulated engines (such as watercrafts like jetskis riding for 2 hours ie no cats) emit as much pollutants as driving a modern regulated engine (ie cats installed) car 130,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by vpdfan
You forgot to bring up the most important point, and the reasons that the CATS are on the car in the first place:

Environmental Impact

Why would you want to remove them? Just for the "sound"? Really?
correct just for the sound! Environmental Impact is something I could care less about and people dont get pissed of becuase I dont just answer the question I asked.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by jctevere
It would definitely turn on the check engine light. I know a guy who removed the cats on his v8 mustang gt. It is loud as hell because of that. Personally, I think it sounds good, but it is a v8, I can only speculate that a v6 will sound louder, but the louder sound may not sound good and throaty like the v8. Obviously, he needs to replace the cats for emission inspections yearly, which is annoying.

Aside from the cosmetic side, because there will be no downstream oxygen sensor, the car won't know how the exhaust coming out of the car is, and will only adjust based on optimal fuel/air mixture in the main in-engine oxygen sensor. This means that your engine will create more power, but also use more fuel. Not to mention the environmental impact. Unregulated engines (such as watercrafts like jetskis riding for 2 hours ie no cats) emit as much pollutants as driving a modern regulated engine (ie cats installed) car 130,000 miles.
See now that exactly the answer I was looking for gave me the pros and cons and gave it to me straight. I thank you!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
08 c350
I dont' know if this can be used for our cars, but in my old car people used o2 sim to cancel out the check engine light. I had a standalone engine management so I could just plug my laptop and disable the check engine light, but for the people that didn't get any sort of ecu management, o2 sim was the way to go.

as for the sound, my car was a 4 cyl, and it made it sound RASPY. but it's a 4cyl and they just tend to sound more raspy. I actually think that it would sound good on a v6 since I've seen some 350z's and it sounded good.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 PM

White 2010 C300 Sport
i know a guy who deleted his cats with no resonator and no mufflers and it sounds great :P
sorry didn't mean to waste your time hahahahahhaha
Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by mike_benzc300
i know a guy who deleted his cats with no resonator and no mufflers and it sounds great :P
sorry didn't mean to waste your time hahahahahhaha
****ing mike lol ohh who might that be??? daniel? I can only hope it will sound as good as his bmw
Old 11-16-2010, 05:21 PM

White 2010 C300 Sport
lol yessir, im guessing you liked it enough to want to do it now..i say, do itttttt
Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Your setup with your x-pipe and straight pipes (which you never posted pictures of) already sounds awesome! I can't imagine what it would sound like with no cats. You should definitely do it!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM

2009 C-300 Sport
So I have already removed the resonator and put an X-Pipe, now i was thinking on removing just the secondary cats and put straight pipes, is there a sensor in the secondary cats and will it make the check engine light pop up in the dashboard? The reason why Im asking this is cause my friend has a C63 and he removed the resonator and secondary cats and replaced it with straight pipes and nothing has happen besides the car being louder and I guess the air flowing better but i don't know if the C300 has some kind of sensor that the C63 doesn't have?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by kirillbenz22
A couple of us on this forum are considering it however it will most likely turn on check engine light plus voids the warranty (witch i dont care about I never take it to the dealer) I can always put it back.

Question to all of you benz owners, besides the obvious as I mentioned about the check engine light and the warranty anything else we should know before doing it?

-Will it damage anything else on the car?

-Has anyone done it before dose it sound like ****?

DO NOT reply if you dont know and just want to make a smart comment example:

"Why would you do that in the first place?"
"It will sound horrible!"---thats what some people said about removing mufflers and resonators and it turned out great.
As a California resident, I'm surprised that you don't know that you won't be able to license the car the next time because of the stored failure code. Further, the mixture is regulated by inputs from the four O2 sensors. Here in Washington the first emission test is after the car is five year sold but CARB being what it is, that may not be California's practice.

Personally, carving up the all stainless steel exhaust system seems unthinkable to me.

Last edited by RLE; 11-16-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
Its a benz, not a honda! you dont mess with the cats..your just asking for problems.. come on people
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by RLE
As a California resident, I'm surprised that you don't know that you won't be able to license the car the next time because of the stored failure code. Further, the mixture is regulated by inputs from the four O2 sensors. Here in Washington the first emission test is after the car is five year sold but CARB being what it is, that may not be California's practice.

Personally, carving up the all stainless steel exhaust system seems unthinkable to me.
Not clear if LA in his profile means the State of Louisiana or Los Angeles.

I tend to think that if he was a California resident, he'd already be aware of the polution testing impact and if he lived in Louisiana, he wouldn't care.

I on the other hand like to hear just how quiet my car runs on new asphalt. I really don't want anything to make the car louder. Had I wanted that, I'd get a muscle car.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
There is NO cel when removing 2ndary cats.....cut away
Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 AM

2008 C350
for yearly inspection,, there are always places where they do it on the low.. meaning they don't test anything, they put this hacked device between the machine and your ports.. if there are shops like that in ny, im pretty sure there are shops like that in cali or anywhere.. i know about the pollution issue but i've always heard straight pipes with no cat being the best..
Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 AM

2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
1. remove your CATS will cause you to fail both smog and visual inspection
2. if you are caught w/ CATS removed, you will face a fine between $2,500 - $3,000 here in CA
3. CHP are trained to spot illegally modifed cars and sounds of cars w/ CATS removed are pretty easy to identify
4. any smog shop that was caught for giving false report or false smog certificate faces maximun fine of $250,000
5. w/o CATS, your CEL will come on and your EGR won't work, fuel consumption will suck for sure..

If all you want is better sound from your exhaust, there are other and safer way to get it done..

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm

take a look at the state approved aftermarket CATS list above
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GHAZAN
There is NO cel when removing 2ndary cats.....cut away
ok i like GHAZAN's response better at this point lol
Old 11-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ginkgo
for yearly inspection,, there are always places where they do it on the low.. meaning they don't test anything, they put this hacked device between the machine and your ports.. if there are shops like that in ny, im pretty sure there are shops like that in cali or anywhere.. i know about the pollution issue but i've always heard straight pipes with no cat being the best..
there are plenty of those here you are correct
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by justthinking
2. if you are caught w/ CATS removed, you will face a fine between $2,500 - $3,000 here in CA
3. CHP are trained to spot illegally modifed cars and sounds of cars w/ CATS removed are pretty easy to identify
4. any smog shop that was caught for giving false report or false smog certificate faces maximun fine of $250,000
5. w/o CATS, your CEL will come on and your EGR won't work, fuel consumption will suck for sure..

If all you want is better sound from your exhaust, there are other and safer way to get it done..

even with my audi a4 2008 I got pulled over over 7 times in 2 months for different reasons and I had a cat back straight pipe witch is very similar sound you would have with not cats, not one mentioned anything about the exhaust they are not that good that they would know the difference. I dont think it would make it that much louder than it already is and I did get pulled over a couple of times on my benz and nothing was mentioned to me, when they spot Hondas or other riced out cars they know right away there are mods involved but on cars like ours not a lot of people do it so they assume its like that or wont say anything. But I agree if you fall on a ***** cop and he breaks out the decibel meter....you get towed (but i would ask for his supervisor first) lol BUT thats a 5% to 10% chance I think I might be willing risk.

I have to look to see how much its going to cost but thats a good Idea.

"If all you want is better sound from your exhaust, there are other and safer way to get it done."

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM

White 2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by justthinking

damm you make me laugh...get outta here...removing your cats DOESNT give any engine lights
Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
In my girlfriend's accord she has a second oxygen sensor right after (technically it is part of) the cat. It is heated and it tells the car the exhaust air oxygen mix, and the motor will adjust accordingly. If this is removed, it will throw a CEL. I don't know if our benz has this secondary heated oxygen sensor (or any oxygen sensor for that matter. But I would assume it does..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:20 PM

White 2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
In my girlfriend's accord she has a second oxygen sensor right after (technically it is part of) the cat. It is heated and it tells the car the exhaust air oxygen mix, and the motor will adjust accordingly. If this is removed, it will throw a CEL. I don't know if our benz has this secondary heated oxygen sensor (or any oxygen sensor for that matter. But I would assume it does..

Theres no comparison to a honda and a Benz..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
I had my secondary cats out for a lil bit and the exhaust note was actually quieter.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
I had my secondary cats out for a lil bit and the exhaust note was actually quieter.
really? on the g35? or your c class?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing CATS