C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Capacity of Steering Fluid Reservoir ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Capacity of Steering Fluid Reservoir ?

Does anyone happen to know the capacity of the power steering reservoir in the W204?.

I intend changing the fluid at some stage.

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Carsy
Does anyone happen to know the capacity of the power steering reservoir in the W204?.

I intend changing the fluid at some stage.

Thank you.
If the reservoir is like past examples, the cap has a dipstick attached. It's important to use the recommended fluid. Past reservoirs also contained a filter which was available.

Doesn't hold much but there is a procedure for flushing the entire system.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
If the reservoir is like past examples, the cap has a dipstick attached. It's important to use the recommended fluid. Past reservoirs also contained a filter which was available.

Doesn't hold much but there is a procedure for flushing the entire system.
RLE , Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the cap has a dipstick. I have attached a magnet to the bottom of it to collect any intrain iron .

My reservoir does not have a strainer but I am told by Glyn & the dealers mechanic that there is a filter in the system.

I have bought 1 ltr of the MB oil ( A$36 !!)& hope it will be sufficient to change out the oil.

I do not know of any proceedure for flushing. For many years in previous cars I have simply sucked out all the oil possible & replaced it.

Thanks again , John.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Flushing

Originally Posted by Carsy
RLE , Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the cap has a dipstick. I have attached a magnet to the bottom of it to collect any intrain iron .

My reservoir does not have a strainer but I am told by Glyn & the dealers mechanic that there is a filter in the system.

I have bought 1 ltr of the MB oil ( A$36 !!)& hope it will be sufficient to change out the oil.

I do not know of any proceedure for flushing. For many years in previous cars I have simply sucked out all the oil possible & replaced it.

Thanks again , John.
I took a look at my car's reservoir and the flushing procedure of the past cannot be used. To put it mildly. Because the reservoir is now the upper part of the pump housing.

Formerly, you would suck the reservoir dry, revealing the filter at the bottom which could then be removed and the new filter installed. You would then remove the return line from the bottom of the reservoir and put the end in a good sized transparent container, plugging the fitting on the bottom of the reservoir. After filling the tank with new fluid, your helper would start the engine while you poured new fluid in until you ran out and the tank was full. Engine shutdown. You would then reattach the return line to the reservoir (must be a check valve there, I'm guessing) and you are done.

Not now. After removing the cap/dipstick, I peered inside through the tiny hole and sighted something in there which may be the filter. If you look at the two hoses to the steering rack, it's clear those things are not coming off, even if you could reach them.

I think the idea of just replacing the fluid in the reservoir a few times in succession is the only easy way and forget about the filter.

My 944's reservoir is a separate tank, easily accessible and when the filter is to be changed, the entire $30 tank containing it is replaced. I have done that once since 1984. It's a universal tank also used on other German cars including many BMWs.

Last edited by RLE; 12-14-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks RLE, as you say replacing the fluid a few times will be the way to go.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
When you say replace the fluid a few times do you mean take it out, put in the new, start the car for a minute and then pull the fluid out and then put more new fluid in? I guess a good way of flushing, wasnt sure if you guys were suggesting that or just replacing the fluid once in a while. Its a shame, if there is a filter somewhere i would love to be able to replace it.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not do a flush, just replace the fluid in the reservoir every couple of years ie about 1/3 of a litre & clean the magnet .Therefore a one litre bottle will last 3 replacements.