C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car Wash..with 19's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350-Sold. Now, M3 Vert
Car Wash..with 19's?

So this may be a dumb question but I want to make sure. We have a really good touchless car wash right around the corner..and with winter set in and work..it's hard to give the car a great wash yourself (which I prefer). Is it safe for my new Monarch 19's to run them through the car wash? I'm assuming yes..thanks guys.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by SCguy08
So this may be a dumb question but I want to make sure. We have a really good touchless car wash right around the corner..and with winter set in and work..it's hard to give the car a great wash yourself (which I prefer). Is it safe for my new Monarch 19's to run them through the car wash? I'm assuming yes..thanks guys.
I don't know of a car wash system which cares how much of the overall diameter of a wheel/tire package is wheel vs. tire. However, large changes in offset or wheel width could run into tracks. But, if they accommodate pickup trucks, they should be able to take wider wheels than the C Class OE spec. Drop by with a tape measure, and if not in use, measure the track (if they even use that system) and compare to your car. Some just have a non-restrictive treadle on an open floor into which the front wheel drops to activate the washer.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
the best car wash ever is doing it yourself on your own driveway with a bucket, sponge and hose. =)
Old 12-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
The overall diameter of your tires is not an issue... iT should fit in the tracks just fine. iT will only be a problem if your car is lowered significantly because the track panels are about 2 inches high.

You can always opt for a 100% hand wash
Old 12-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
I used an automatic car wash in Milwaukee and it would have been better to leave the car dirty until spring. Don't do it! Not for the wheels, for the paint. Unless your willing pay a good detailer to fix the damage in the spring.

Les
Old 12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
yeah, your wheels will be fine. If they can take the snow, salt, and rain, acid rain, they can handle a touchless carwash
Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 PM

2009 C350-Sold. Now, M3 Vert
Thanks guys. I failed to mention one key thing...it's a tracked system..pulls your car through the wash. And it's a REALLY good one that I've taken my car in multiple times. Just not since I've had the new wheels on. Some of the guys in the bimmer forums recommend not doing it because the tracks could damage the lip on my rims. And Spec...I absolutely prefer washing it myself, always have. When it's 30 outside though I'm not so inclined to grab the bucket!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
The car wash damaged my old 19 inch wheels!! Indeed the track damaged my wheel and made a big scratch all around. I was really pissed to them but the sign says " at your own risk, we are not respnsable for any damage blablabla"

So if you like your wheels, you better wash by hand to be sure.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Touchless car washes use pretty harsh chemicals and can cause premature clear coat failure, not just on your paint, but on your wheel finish. Add to that the potential of tracked system scratching/curbing your new wheels, I'd stay away. Most 100% hand wash places are just as bad with how they clean cars.... taking a rag to a dirty wheel and then using the same contaminated rag on your paint immediately after....

For winter washes, look to rinseless wash (ie. Optimum No-Rinse) or even waterless wash (ie. Optimum Opti-Clean). Both are paint safe and can be done inside your garage.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
Touchless car washes use pretty harsh chemicals and can cause premature clear coat failure, not just on your paint, but on your wheel finish. Add to that the potential of tracked system scratching/curbing your new wheels, I'd stay away. Most 100% hand wash places are just as bad with how they clean cars.... taking a rag to a dirty wheel and then using the same contaminated rag on your paint immediately after....

For winter washes, look to rinseless wash (ie. Optimum No-Rinse) or even waterless wash (ie. Optimum Opti-Clean). Both are paint safe and can be done inside your garage.
Thanks for the expert advice!! I just saw the YouTube video for Optimum No-Rinse, and I can see how this could work on a mildly dusty car, as they show. But, we now have cars encrusted with muck and blow back patterns from salty slush. Would you still suggest Optimum with, perhaps, a lot less initial pressure or rubbing? My inclination is that I still need to have a clear water hose down just to get all the layers of grit and grime off. Your opinion, please?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Thanks for the expert advice!! I just saw the YouTube video for Optimum No-Rinse, and I can see how this could work on a mildly dusty car, as they show. But, we now have cars encrusted with muck and blow back patterns from salty slush. Would you still suggest Optimum with, perhaps, a lot less initial pressure or rubbing? My inclination is that I still need to have a clear water hose down just to get all the layers of grit and grime off. Your opinion, please?
You can still do it you just need to pre-soak with some ONR, or if you're willing to re-do all your polishing again, you can pre-soak with some kind of diluted All Purpose Cleaner. Always remember to use grit guards and plenty of wash media with ONR to prevent scratching.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Of the several videos and demos I watched, all were cars that were not what I would consider to be very dirty at all. In fact, a few of the narrators mentioned that. I'd like to see a demo of a car covered with dirt and road salt after New England Winter drive. Anybody seen one?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
I've seen plenty of seriously dirth northeastern cars in winter use No-rinse. It still works and is still safer than auto car washes. Lighter dirt cars will only require one pass with a wash medium, but dirtier cars will require 2, maybe 3, passes to remove layers of filth. I believe on the Optimum forums there are pics posted of some seriously dirty rides. I'll see if I can dig em up.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
w204 C300
Another option is to go to the self wash, hose the car down with plain water, go home and use a milder cleaning product and light pressure.