C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 4MATIC as first car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Yeah, I guess rwd with snow tires is pretty good from all the support on this forum. I guess I come from a different perspective because my only experience with snow tires is on true rwd sport cars like mustangs and coupes. Perhaps when you throw more balance vehicles like sedans into the mix with a better weight distribution, they do much better. However, I would probably still opt for all wheel drive over rwd if I had the option.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jctevere
Yeah, I guess rwd with snow tires is pretty good from all the support on this forum. I guess I come from a different perspective because my only experience with snow tires is on true rwd sport cars like mustangs and coupes. Perhaps when you throw more balance vehicles like sedans into the mix with a better weight distribution, they do much better. However, I would probably still opt for all wheel drive over rwd if I had the option.
Whichever way you go, decide quickly!! Here you go again

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41015409/ns/weather/
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 528Xi; 2010 C300 SportW4 - sold; 1964 230SL
finger's crossed the NYC sanitation dept isn't "on strike" again...though, Manhattan was spared...good luck outerboroughs!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by TaxEsq
finger's crossed the NYC sanitation dept isn't "on strike" again...though, Manhattan was spared...good luck outerboroughs!!!
And don't forget "Lawn Guyland"!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM

HAHAHAHAHA...I fear they will get hit even harder, its supposed to be tracking right over LI.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I'm not that concerned. With the last blizzard the roads were fine come 10am on long island in my area. But when I drove into Nassau county it was a mess. Haha. I only had minor snow on my immediate block (live in a cul de sac) so it's hard to get the plows to constantly come around. What I am more concerned with will be when the ice from the last snow storm will still be on the road surface and then you have snow topping that. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'm only at around 22,000 now. But my front tires are starting to show some wear, and since I have 4matic I can't rotate them. So I'm thinking about just replacing all 4 soon. Anyone know of any all seasons better than extreme DWS besides the michelins?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm not that concerned. With the last blizzard the roads were fine come 10am on long island in my area. But when I drove into Nassau county it was a mess. Haha. I only had minor snow on my immediate block (live in a cul de sac) so it's hard to get the plows to constantly come around. What I am more concerned with will be when the ice from the last snow storm will still be on the road surface and then you have snow topping that. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'm only at around 22,000 now. But my front tires are starting to show some wear, and since I have 4matic I can't rotate them. So I'm thinking about just replacing all 4 soon. Anyone know of any all seasons better than extreme DWS besides the michelins?
I'm at 25k and we aren't even close to changing them - I would say we have another 10k to go. However, I too would like to know what all seasons everyone would recommend.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE

Another forum member was very complimentary of a Finnish tire company for handling and capability, Nokian. Having been there, I can well understand how they would know snow!

http://www.nokiantires.com/

As you read the site, it seems they call "all season" with the term "all weather". (Check the WR model). I have not found comparison tests. They are not on tirerack.com, but it seems Discount Tire sells them.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-11-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Just found this:

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663067
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Why can't you rotate with 4matic?

I live in Huntington, LI, so I'm ready for the blizzard! Go to Chaminade so I am hoping for a snow day.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM

shouldn't you be in school right now?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I certainly think you'll get your snow day. Haha.

On the 4matic sports the tires are staggered. Meaning that the tires in the front are a different size than the tires on th rear. Because of this, you won't be able to rotate them.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM

2008 W204
Ahh, makes sense.

I'm in school - Blackberry and a boring physics double period, although we are learning about friction between roads and car tires-
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
He is in high school he already knows everything! JK! Surf the forum and all your questions will be answered. I think your a trading on your fathers had work, and if I am wrong and you are as good as you think, brag about yourself instead of your father. Also, you referred to the C as a lower model, considering everyone here has one that is kind of a rude statement.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by hutch300
He is in high school he already knows everything! JK! Surf the forum and all your questions will be answered. I think your a trading on your fathers had work, and if I am wrong and you are as good as you think, brag about yourself instead of your father. Also, you referred to the C as a lower model, considering everyone here has one that is kind of a rude statement.
Do I know you?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM

2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by doworklax09
Do I know you?
Obviously not.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Didn't read through the entire thread so forgive e if I'm repeating others...but...

Being that you are only in 11th grade there's no way I'd suggest picking up a used Benz...especially an '08 with 50K-90K miles on it...that's a TON of miles for a 2-3yr old car! Even if it does have paperwork and records...that only tells you it didn't give the previous owner any problems...doesn't guarantee that YOU won't have any problem with it. Even if you don't have major problems the upkeep and maintenance on an out-of-warranty Benz is gonna be higher than a 16/17yr old can probably afford.

I know you really like the car and want the car...but don't make the same mistake that many others make and get a car that's beyond your means just to say you have a Mercedes. You're only in 11th grade...you have PLENTY of time to get a really nice expensive car. I'm not saying to get a P.O.S...just get something new or with lower mileage that you can afford.

If you're really stuck on the car I'd look into leasing...but no way would I get a 3 yr old Mercedes with THAT many miles on it. You're asking for trouble
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
I'm kinda laughing at some of the responses...yea the C300 is a great car...but most of you are completely ignoring the fact that he's looking at a very high mileage car. He's clearly just a young kid that wants a Benz to show off to others and brag about...but I don't see how anyone can justify putting himself into such a money pit at an early age.

Then again it seems like his mind is already made up
Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM

2008 W204
We'll see.

Remember I came on here asking if there were any commom known issue that were a problem for theses cars, like for example the major timing chain issue on the 550 motors. I did not ask if it was the right car for me. Of course any car can have potential issues but relative to other mercs I've been looking at the C300 seems pretty good. So you're right my mind has been made up, and I also have gotten what I needed from this thread when it comes to the "should I buy this car part" and I know there are no components that are common to fail and to watch out for when buying. The 4matic vs rwd issue is a different story.

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 01-11-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM

2022 GLE450
If you know so much maybe you don't need to be here. Also, searching renders the results you have seen here. You think your the first youngster with a stupid question? Learn from those before you.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by NJBNZ
I'm kinda laughing at some of the responses...yea the C300 is a great car...but most of you are completely ignoring the fact that he's looking at a very high mileage car. He's clearly just a young kid that wants a Benz to show off to others and brag about...but I don't see how anyone can justify putting himself into such a money pit at an early age.

Then again it seems like his mind is already made up
I think he has made it abundantly clear that he wants the car to help him get l&id in college, and IMHO that's enough of a reason....
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM

2022 GLE450
I think he has made it abundantly clear that he wants the car to help him get l&id in college, and IMHO that's enough of a reason....
I guess some guys need help in that department. I guess if he isn't good looking his car should be.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Lol, hutch, whats with all the harsh comments at OP... What did he ever do to **** you off? I don't find him referring to the c-class as a lower model insulting - its the truth; he is simply stating the facts.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 PM

2008 W204
Let's keep in mind I was NOT the one who initiated the disrespect here with both of these big typers (a level even further below big talkers).

If you know so much maybe you don't need to be here. Also, searching renders the results you have seen here. You think your the first youngster with a stupid question? Learn from those before you.
Mr. Senior member, Here's what I want you to do for me: use the search feature and find results which answer "whether or not the W204 has any serious common issues to look out for when buying?" and post the link here.

You certainly are the first old-timer with a stupid answer.

The ironic part is, I'm 16 and probably have as much if not more hands on experience with Mercedes then you do. I know that the old sarcastic "teenagers know it all" motto sounds really crafty, but it really only works if you offer more knowledge then the teenager, and so far all you've offered are lessons on bragging and using the forum search feature....

I guess along with intelligence, class and some other things(...), sense of humor has been hiding in the closet?

I guess some guys need help in that department. I guess if he isn't good looking his car should be.
Oh, what do I say to this?

I'm not going to tell you that I do have already have a girlfriend who is pretty damn hot and my mention of the car getting me laid was a joke cause I would sound pretty stupid. All I am gonna say to: "I guess some guys need help in that department. I guess if he isn't good looking his car should be" is you're the one with the Harlem-like mods on a C-Class...., I guess some guys need help in all departments, including taste.

----------------------

I do not know what your problems are, is it the fact that I am probably going to own the same car as you at age 17? Or is it the fact that I am going to UNC for college? The fact that I currently drive around in an SL55 everyday? I don't know, but keep in mind I started this thread with a four sentence post asking a quick question on a car that I am interested/excited about getting. So before you respond with your long arrogant, 'inferior-complex' drenched responses, simmer down. Oh ya, and I'm a Long Island LD debate champion, so keep it coming!!

-Conner
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 PM

2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by doworklax09
Let's keep in mind I was NOT the one who initiated the disrespect here with both of these big typers (a level even further below big talkers).

Mr. Senior member, Here's what I want you to do for me: use the search feature and find results which answer "whether or not the W204 has any serious common issues to look out for when buying?" and post the link here.

You certainly are the first old-timer with a stupid answer.

The ironic part is, I'm 16 and probably have as much if not more hands on experience with Mercedes then you do. I know that the old sarcastic "teenagers know it all" motto sounds really crafty, but it really only works if you offer more knowledge then the teenager, and so far all you've offered are lessons on bragging and using the forum search feature....

I guess along with intelligence, class and some other things(...), sense of humor has been hiding in the closet?

Oh, what do I say to this?

I'm not going to tell you that I do have already have a girlfriend who is pretty damn hot and my mention of the car getting me laid was a joke cause I would sound pretty stupid. All I am gonna say to: "I guess some guys need help in that department. I guess if he isn't good looking his car should be" is you're the one with the Harlem-like mods on a C-Class...., I guess some guys need help in all departments, including taste.

----------------------

I do not know what your problems are, is it the fact that I am probably going to own the same car as you at age 17? Or is it the fact that I am going to UNC for college? The fact that I currently drive around in an SL55 everyday? I don't know, but keep in mind I started this thread with a four sentence post asking a quick question on a car that I am interested/excited about getting. So before you respond with your long arrogant, 'inferior-complex' drenched responses, simmer down. Oh ya, and I'm a Long Island LD debate champion, so keep it coming!!

-Conner
It'd be cooler if you drove a SL63... whatever just trying to get a rise. Enjoy your C, good value, safe, and reliable.

If you want the link to the other similar threads I can find that as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 4MATIC as first car?