C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C350 Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
C350 Brake Upgrade

I have an 09 C300 sport and bought loaded calipers and rotors from a member of this site, and installed them today. The installation was super easy and took less than an hour (I also changed the rear rotors because they were trash - after only 30,000 miles).

You can see the C300 calipers (left) versus the C350. I read on this list at some time that someone thought the C300's were aluminum and were lighter. Mine are not aluminum and are lighter than the C350's, but only by about 2 pounds. They are both steel but the C350 is much beefier. Both are single piston and the piston is the same size on both. However, the frame is bigger. The C350 pads are a bit larger but not that much bigger. However, they are better isolated from the piston which greatly aids in heat dissipation which in turn reduces brake fade.

The rotors on the C350 are almost an inch larger in diameter and about a 1/4 in wider. Again, better heat dissipation and less fade.

After I finished, I took it out for about a 30 mile drive to break in the pads to the new rotors. What I like - very responsive braking. Very little pressure on the pedal will bring the car to a stop. Put real pressure on the pedal, and there is a noticeable difference in stopping distance and you can actually feel the braking through the pedal - not some soft vanilla reaction to pressure.

What I don't like about it so far is the increased braking noise in the car. However, this is normal when upgrading to a "performance" set up. When I do these to turbo Porsche's, there is significant increase in noise - more like a low buzzing sound coming through the frame of the car, especially from high speed.

If I had to pay dealer cost ($1500 - $1800) in parts to do the upgrade, I wouldn't do it. I bought the parts used and in good shape for $625 and I think it is an ok upgrade. I think if you really want a high performance brake upgrade, spend the big money and buy a 4 or 6 piston Brembo system. I can't see doing that either because of the cost, but that's me.

The best upgrade I did on this car for handling is installing new Michelin Sport A/S all around. Incredible ride, incredible handling, incredible steering response, and little or no road noise. They really compliment this car.
Attached Thumbnails C350 Brake Upgrade-calipers.jpg   C350 Brake Upgrade-rotors-side-side.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 PM

C300
Update....

The brakes have been on the car for over a month and they have bedded in great - no noise, no super-grabbing, no surprises. There is also no fade whatsoever regardless of the speed. There is a noticeable difference in brake feel even though these are really that much bigger than stock. Around town, very little effort is needed to brake the car. From highway speed, the car backs down quickly, smoothly and quietly. I really like the upgrade now.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by 930Pilot
The best upgrade I did on this car for handling is installing new Michelin Sport A/S all around. Incredible ride, incredible handling, incredible steering response, and little or no road noise. They really compliment this car.
I had the same opinion when I installed the same tires. Then, I swapped out the stock antisway bars for the Eibach front and rear set (kept the stock springs) and had a new favorite upgrade! Wonderful improvement in chassis performance with essentially no ride harshness penalty!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
great write up! did you have to change the piston carrier to get the C350 calipers on your C300? If so, once you got the carrier, the rest was a straight swap?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM

As the owner of a C350 who has driven multiple C300s, I agree -- the brakes do make a difference. A couple of car magazines complained about the C300's brakes, but none ever did so in the case of the C350.

The best upgrade I did on this car for handling is installing new Michelin Sport A/S all around. (...) incredible handling, incredible steering response
Agreed.

Incredible ride (...) and little or no road noise. They really compliment this car.
My experience is different.
(i) On good roads, the Michelins are IMHO simply superb -- both noise-wise and ride-wise.
(ii) On bad roads, however (e.g., concrete highways, poorly fixed smaller roads), the noise level and ride quality are bad enough that I am now looking at alternatives. I changed from the Conti Pro Contacts last Fall, and while the Michelins have significantly better steering response and cold-weather handling, the ride and noise levels are significantly worse on bad roads. Unfortunately, that's where I spend most of my time in car.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 PM

C300
Originally Posted by albert101
great write up! did you have to change the piston carrier to get the C350 calipers on your C300? If so, once you got the carrier, the rest was a straight swap?
This whole operation was a direct swap - take calipers and rotors off, install the c350 stuff, bleed the brakes, drive. As I said in my write up, the whole process took around an hour. Add 15 min for bleeding the brakes and double checking your work.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 AM

c220
Will these fit a c220 looking to upgrade thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
This whole operation was a direct swap - take calipers and rotors off, install the c350 stuff, bleed the brakes, drive. As I said in my write up, the whole process took around an hour. Add 15 min for bleeding the brakes and double checking your work.
Did you have to swap to the C350 the caliper bracket also? Or you just used the stock C300 caliper bracket?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I am glad those worked out for you 930Pilot.