C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

orange dots on the back of the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
orange dots on the back of the car

i was washing my car today seeing that it was unusually warm in Toronto and shockingly i discovered these orange dots (size of the tip of a needle) all over the back of my car ...anyone know what they are and how to get rid of it?

my C is white so it's pretty visible!!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC
It's called something like rail dust. Essentially iron oxide or some small tiny metal particles that settle on the car and appear as tiny rust spots. They can be any where on the vehicle but generally are found on the rear from being thrown up on the back of the vehicle from draft and spray and settle in the low pressure areas of the vehicle aerodynamics.

These are not from your car rusting. They are on the surface of your vehicle paint. You can most often rub them with your finger and they will disappear. A very soft washing won't always get them out but any type of buffing and polishing will easily remove them.

Reading your post, I knew your car was white or silver because it is easiest to see the spots. It is on most cars, but the lightest coloured paint shows the spots most.

I'm in Toronto too. I assume you drive highway to and from work?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I hope they are not ferris metal from an angle grinder. Have you been near a construction site.? I had it happen to an old VW Golf. The rust went right through the paintwork & affected the roof for life.

To find whether the dots dissolve with hydrocarbons try a little kerosene/turps on a rag

If so best to remove asap with a polish. I am sure someone will recomend the clay bar approach.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 PM

2010 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Distinct
It's called something like rail dust. Essentially iron oxide or some small tiny metal particles that settle on the car and appear as tiny rust spots. They can be any where on the vehicle but generally are found on the rear from being thrown up on the back of the vehicle from draft and spray and settle in the low pressure areas of the vehicle aerodynamics.

These are not from your car rusting. They are on the surface of your vehicle paint. You can most often rub them with your finger and they will disappear. A very soft washing won't always get them out but any type of buffing and polishing will easily remove them.

Reading your post, I knew your car was white or silver because it is easiest to see the spots. It is on most cars, but the lightest coloured paint shows the spots most.

I'm in Toronto too. I assume you drive highway to and from work?
Thanks for the info , I'll make sure to try and rub it off tomorrow!!

Yea, i have to take the 404 to work everyday so i guess that's where the spots came from.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
had the same on my ride get a claybar detailer kit and iy comes right off
Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 PM

2010 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Carsy
I hope they are not ferris metal from an angle grinder. Have you been near a construction site.? I had it happen to an old VW Golf. The rust went right through the paintwork & affected the roof for life.

To find whether the dots dissolve with hydrocarbons try a little kerosene/turps on a rag

If so best to remove asap with a polish. I am sure someone will recomend the clay bar approach.

Shouldn't from an angle grinder as i havent been closed to any construction site .

Would clay bar work better than just try rubbing it off and to my understanding, its best to wax the car after you use the clay bar right? If thats the case then i might just hold off on it as it's gonna go back down to -5 degrees tomorrow
Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 PM

2010 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ulovemybenzo
had the same on my ride get a claybar detailer kit and iy comes right off
did you have to wax your car right after?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S || C63 || E550 Coupe || Cayenne ||
I have it on my car too. I always wondered what it was.. hours of clay baring in the summer got them off.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
Originally Posted by gwai_jai
did you have to wax your car right after?
u should always wax after wash and clay bar