C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

"Calling Acapulco Bill" TCU help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
"Calling Acapulco Bill" TCU help?

Refresher below - per our conversation yesterday regarding the TCU reset:

"The transmission TCU keeps accumulatng your driving driving style, only that this kind of accelerator reset makes the car think you are full-flooring the throttle when it is only depressed half-way. So the transmission automatically learns a more aggressive driving style even though you are driving spiritedly. Was extremely disappointed in the 7G transmission until the accelerator was reset this way, now the C300 shifts brilliantly."

I followed the steps posted on the "sneaky ECU" thread to try and reset my car today during lunch - TOTAL disappointment for me as I know my car is in old lady mode from the previous owner, and this does not seem to be working for me - I tried it as outlined below, and then again using your "half throttle" version - no change.

So...question, while sitting here now reading through all this again, I am wondering if I need to remove the key after all steps are completed before starting the car? Or, after resting for 2 minutes in the off position, just turn the key and start the car which is what I did? Also, it sounds like once reset, it is noticeable right away, no need to pound on it to complete the update correct?

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position (2nd click)

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350-Sold. Now, M3 Vert
Those steps are perfect. I was a bit skeptical, but I did mine last week, and it was absolutely noticeable on my drive home from work.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM

2009 C350-Sold. Now, M3 Vert
Oh yeah, I didn't remove my key after waiting for the 2 (really I did 3 or 4) mins. Just cranked it up
Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Damn, maybe I just did not wait long enough, but I was really looking fwd to a noticeable change after reading 4 pages of testimonies from everyone that had completed this...I will try again after work, wait it out a little longer. My car clearly needs a reset, As mentioned, previously woman owned, and mostly babied by me for the first month - I have taken it out on some great backroads and had a blast, but mostly in manual mode...
Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
Wait a little more than two minutes and you do have to remove the key from the ignition once you have finished waiting , then you restart the car ... You wont really feel it right then but if you drive it hard right after the reset than the next time your start the car up it should be aggressive .
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Let me guess, your in sport mode? I find that my car actually responds better to agressive driving in comfort mode. In comfort mode it is more willing to take that second downshift when you go WOT to really pull, whereas sport is more concerned with downshifting really soon upon any acceleration pedal movement, but reluctant or delays to do that second downshift to really get you moving. I rarely ever drive in sport mode unless I like my car to hold the revs high when I let off the accelerator pedal so i can hear the engine.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
doesn't work
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
Originally Posted by jctevere
Let me guess, your in sport mode? I find that my car actually responds better to agressive driving in comfort mode. In comfort mode it is more willing to take that second downshift when you go WOT to really pull, whereas sport is more concerned with downshifting really soon upon any acceleration pedal movement, but reluctant or delays to do that second downshift to really get you moving. I rarely ever drive in sport mode unless I like my car to hold the revs high when I let off the accelerator pedal so i can hear the engine.
Against all belief of the"sport lovers" I decided mine responds better in C, too. I decided it may be because take-off from a stop, or low speed, requires more throttle and hence the box deems you to be driving more aggressively.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@Scat01: Recommend that step No. 2 just push the pedal half way down. The recalibration will make the ECU and the six modules that input the TCU, that you are driving much more aggressively. Despite what GHAZAN claims, there are many, many threads and testimonies that this in fact does work.
As for C vs S, check the dozens of threads here on the subject.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
@Scat01: Recommend that step No. 2 just push the pedal half way down. The recalibration will make the ECU and the six modules that input the TCU, that you are driving much more aggressively. Despite what GHAZAN claims, there are many, many threads and testimonies that this in fact does work.
As for C vs S, check the dozens of threads here on the subject.

Ok - thanks again Bill - just got back from a very nice ride through the curving hills of my neighboring town and I absolutely have this working now.

I did take your advice and use the half pedal approach, and it clearly reset this time.

Mini fact for non-believers....My car was shifting at around 2,400 rpm's when starting from a dead stop in auto sport mode with about 25-30% pedal. I just did this numerous times and the car is now shifting right around 3,500 with the same pedal travel - have no reason to BS and as Bill stated, there are numerous threads with many other members agreeing this is a true reset process.

Thanks again - I intentionally held out for a C350 to get the extra power, and now I can truly appreciate it!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
i will try it myself and give my review with an open mind
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 AM

W205 c400 sport
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
doesn't work
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
i will try it myself and give my review with an open mind