C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clouding windows- whats your solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300
Clouding windows- whats your solution?

Hey guys , u know how when u drive in rain and all the windows are closed the windows including the windshield and all the windows start to become foggy and its hard to see and then u have to use the defroster, u guys have any tricks to get that fog off from the windows quickly?

For the side windows all i do is roll down the window and roll it back up quickly and the window is clean again but when u do that rain enters get the interior wet a little(the door panels) but oh well, for the windshield i use the defroster and for the rear i also use the defroster.

Is there a way to avoid the window becoming foggy to begin with or no?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by lamonsas
Hey guys , u know how when u drive in rain and all the windows are closed the windows including the windshield and all the windows start to become foggy and its hard to see and then u have to use the defroster, u guys have any tricks to get that fog off from the windows quickly?

For the side windows all i do is roll down the window and roll it back up quickly and the window is clean again but when u do that rain enters get the interior wet a little(the door panels) but oh well, for the windshield i use the defroster and for the rear i also use the defroster.

Is there a way to avoid the window becoming foggy to begin with or no?
Of course. Operate the AC on automatic all the time.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
lol, you must be a youngster.
When I had my first car I didnt know how to stop it either. But AC is the answer.
Turn your AC on and you will never have to roll your windows down when its raining again.
Turning on AC with heat works too.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 PM

2011 C300
sure im in my 20s Question, what if its cold outside? you turn on the Heat on instead of AC?

Wait so i must have AC/Heat running at all times or else ill get that fog on the windows?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 c400 sport
think of AC as air conditioning, not cold air.

Last edited by Blazeitup123; 03-06-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: small, common typo ;)
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Wait so i must have AC/Heat running at all times or else ill get that fog on the windows?
You dont have to but when you see fog forming then hit the AC button if you dont want to open your windows... unless.... you and your girlfriend are doing something that would warrant a rapid production of fog while the car is parked.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 AM

2011 C300
LOL good one

So i can also just open the windows and the fog will go away yea? but that will get rain into the car obviously right?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 AM

2012 E350 RWD
LOL good one

So i can also just open the windows and the fog will go away yea? but that will get rain into the car obviously right?
Correct. Just make sure your AC button is lit on. Doesn't matter if you have your temp on hot or cold, it works both ways and all in between.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I don't even need to have my A/C button illuminated. I just put my climate control set to Auto and the A/C button is off. I have never had problems with fog or anything.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM

2011 C300
I see, while we're at it I wanted to ask, using the AC, heater or even just having the climate control on Auto wastes gas right? Do u guys usually use it on auto?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I see, while we're at it I wanted to ask, using the AC, heater or even just having the climate control on Auto wastes gas right? Do u guys usually use it on auto?
It doesn't waste gas. Depending on each car, the aerodynamic drag created by the open window is similar to or greater than the energy required by modern compressors. Lowering a window can provide some help for fogging, but you are also just letting in a blast of more humid air, which is the root cause of the fogging problem. You would benefit from air which has been dried by the compressor.

I suggest you don't even use the concept of AC, which is locked in to many folks' minds as cold air for hot days...it's "Climate Control" and the system is smarter than we are. Just place it on AUTO, choose your temp, and on rare occasion make a temporary manual adjustment for MAX COOL or MAX DEFROST if its an extremely hot day, or if you are caked in snow/ice, respectively. Then, just return to AUTO. In addition to preventing the fog build-up, the AUTO setting also helps to prevent the Climate Control system from developing musty smells which some owners have experienced.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 - Cabrio; 2017 GLS 450
I would also avoid using the 'recirculate' button as well. That tends to also make it fog up. The magic key is the a/c button. Noice that you can't defrost and use recirculate at the same time. There's a reason for that.
happy fogging!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Leave your climate control on Auto. Don't think of the "A/C" in the winter time as an air conditioner, but as a Dehumidifer. Opening the window will create drag, which would negate any savings you might gain by not using the A/C function. If it's raining out, don't open your windows. Do you want to risk having a drenched door sill and shorted electricals on your door? Anything you gain is neglible, but your risk of damage is far greater and will negate any savings.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM

2011 C300
wait so if i enable AUTO for climate control, the car will add heat or cold depending on what? it will keep the temp on what? but since it will be on at all times wont that waste alot of my gas guys? i am very strict on having ac or any air conditioning off at all times and this is new to me.. my 06 C230 didnt have an auto mode at all, this 2011 c300 does.

So if its set to auto then what doe the climate control exactly do?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM

C204
All this fancy talk about turning the AC on and all... I keep a microfiber towel handy, and if things get foggy, I get to rubbing.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
wait so if i enable AUTO for climate control, the car will add heat or cold depending on what? it will keep the temp on what? but since it will be on at all times wont that waste alot of my gas guys? i am very strict on having ac or any air conditioning off at all times and this is new to me.. my 06 C230 didnt have an auto mode at all, this 2011 c300 does.

So if its set to auto then what doe the climate control exactly do?
This is the same principle as the thermostat in your home. The car will provide warm or cool air based on the difference it senses between the temperature you set on the round dials at both sides of the controls versus what it senses the temperature is inside the car. It also has some additional sensors for sun load, etc., but the basic idea is that it does what it needs to do to bring the interior temperature to match the dial settings. So, for example, if you set the system to AUTO, and set the dials to 70 degrees, on a hot day it will cool the car until the interior reaches 70, and then just maintain that temperature. On a cold day, it will heat the car until the interior reaches 70 and, again, maintain that temperature. Your task is to find that temperature setting you consider comfortable on the round dials, press AUTO, and then almost always leave it alone!!! (exceptions being a scorching hot day, when you can press MAX COOL for a while, while recirculates the interior air, which makes the car colder faster, or the little defrost button, which helps more quickly get rid of ice or snow.)

No, it does not waste gas, unless you are comparing to driving with the system shut off and the windows all completely closed. Even in that case, the gas consumption of the compressor is measured to the right of the decimal point. Not worth all the worry you've been inflicting on yourself.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alexlev
All this fancy talk about turning the AC on and all... I keep a microfiber towel handy, and if things get foggy, I get to rubbing.

LOL...I hope you're not serious about this. Using the "A/C" function when it fogs up is a more convenient thing to do than to keep a microfiber towel handy to wipe off the fogging. That's a little too hood for me. It dont' even use tha tmuch more gas. If it's not raining or fogging up, just shut of the A/C function but keep it on auto. Apparently, MPG is a huge concern for you. This is the second MPG related issued you're having. Just drive the car and enjoy it.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Sounds like a bad date......
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM

2012 C350 coupe
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
LOL...I hope you're not serious about this. Using the "A/C" function when it fogs up is a more convenient thing to do than to keep a microfiber towel handy to wipe off the fogging. That's a little too hood for me. It dont' even use tha tmuch more gas. If it's not raining or fogging up, just shut of the A/C function but keep it on auto. Apparently, MPG is a huge concern for you. This is the second MPG related issued you're having. Just drive the car and enjoy it.
+1
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM

C204
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Sounds like a bad date......

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
LOL...I hope you're not serious about this. Apparently, MPG is a huge concern for you. This is the second MPG related issued you're having. Just drive the car and enjoy it.
I was only kidding. Though when I am driving the Lada, a towel comes in handy.

But on another note, what MPG issues was/am I having? Are you mistaking me for someone else?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by matthew121170
I would also avoid using the 'recirculate' button as well. That tends to also make it fog up. The magic key is the a/c button. Noice that you can't defrost and use recirculate at the same time. There's a reason for that.
happy fogging!
This is the number one reason the windows get fogged up. Maybe not what you're doing, but a lot of people during the winter have that on to heat up the inside of the car faster and then forget and the windows slowly start to fog up. Turn off the Recirculate and make sure A/C is on which removes moisture from the air.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was only kidding. Though when I am driving the Lada, a towel comes in handy.

But on another note, what MPG issues was/am I having? Are you mistaking me for someone else?

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you on the MPG issue. I was talking about the OP. I got lazy and didn't separate out the quotes. I can't help but think the OP took you seriously about the microfiber towel though. lolz
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM

2011 C300
lol, what temp do u guys set your climate control to and then click on auto? 72F?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
lol, what temp do u guys set your climate control to and then click on auto? 72F?
70 works for me. One of the technical limitations is that the settings are not dead-on accurate for the objective temperature. The dial is directionally correct (clockwise is warmer, counter-clockwise is cooler). Try a reasonable number such as 72 and see how you feel. As the seasons change, it is not unknown to slightly tweak the dial a degree or two...it just seems to feel better for some people.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can set it to whatever temp you're most comfortable with. I like mine at 72. 74 if it's freezing outside. A/C off in the winter time if it's cold and dry and regular auto mode for all other times. But that's based on NYC weather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clouding windows- whats your solution?