C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Slower than a Camry ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
The 911 ( and obviously the Cayenne ) is available in AWD ( the Boxster and Cayman is not )

If I didn't have a need for baby seats in the back, I would be driving a 911 right now.

The only downside is they are expensive ( more so than a C class anyway )

A brand new C300 4matic well optioned will run you about $45k

You could pick up something like this :

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Or if you need AWD :

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Go test drive one sometime, they are amazing !

Nick
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C300 4matic 1967 Chevelle SS
The Toyota Camry sucks as is compared to a Benz. Also, the two or three tenths difference are meaningless in the real world, times also vary slightly from car to car. Two tenths isnt ever a car length ahead.

Enjoy the Benz, tell the Toyota guy at least my Benz dosnt accelerate by itself!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
If you race a FWD car, make sure he has to chose between turning and accelerating. He obviously can't have both.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM

07 c350
faster or not by a few miliseconds the camry has no chance against my c350 now that i recently dropped that pos Bens motor and did a rb20 swap.

Originally Posted by 4maticbenz
The Toyota Camry sucks as is compared to a Benz. Also, the two or three tenths difference are meaningless in the real world, times also vary slightly from car to car. Two tenths isnt ever a car length ahead.

Enjoy the Benz, tell the Toyota guy at least my Benz dosnt accelerate by itself!
have you ever driven a toyota that had the gas pedal stick? didn't think so. Just to educate you a little bit, They did extensive tests for a year and guess what. They didn't find any eveidance that gas pedal stuck in any of their cars. Do your research next time you run your mouth about toyota. Their cars will last longer than any toyota for 1/2 the cost. pwned.

Last edited by Benz-R13; 04-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM

2012 Luna C
Originally Posted by Benz-R13
faster or not by a few miliseconds the camry has no chance against my c350 now that i recently dropped that pos Bens motor and did a rb20 swap.

have you ever driven a toyota that had the gas pedal stick? didn't think so. Just to educate you a little bit, They did extensive tests for a year and guess what. They didn't find any eveidance that gas pedal stuck in any of their cars. Do your research next time you run your mouth about toyota. Their cars will last longer than any toyota for 1/2 the cost. pwned.

"Their cars will last longer than any toyota for 1/2 the cost. pwned."
Did you mean 'any Benz for ½ the cost.' you are pwned.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Sooo many cars.

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Good to know we have a Hyundai elentra... lol
Plus the E55 and the 2003 C-Class?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by RLE
Plus the E55 and the 2003 C-Class?
no c class, a hyundai, a cobalt (brothers), E55, and my dads chevy 3500 work truck.

Edit: i think you got confused when i said i sat in a new c class earlier in the thread
Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Benz-R13
Actually, the results of the final report stated that there was no evidence of electronic failures. However, there was evidence of both poorly designed floor mats and mechanical failures in the throttle assembly causing "some" of the incidents.
If you want to act like an authority on something, maybe you should be a little more thorough with your research.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Camry(Toyota in general) vs. MB

Bland styling and all - I'll take a Camry (any Toyota for that matter) cross country and back twice any day over any MB. My next MB is fact will be an ISF Lexus...Mercedes vehicles are waaaay too fragile for me. There is a reason why Mercedes resale values take a precipitous dive once they are driven off the lot and Toyota's don't.

Someone said 'vanilla' you mean to tell me any of the new styling cues that have come from MB are unique? They flat out suck - the new E class could pass as a Camry...

I like my MB, but reliable and worry free they are not - I would never own save for the fact that I turn wrenches, so to speak. My Toyota has ran for 202,000 miles with only routine maintenance. My C43 has had MAF issues (common to all), Crank Position Issues (again common problem), Harmonic balancer (TSB), seats lines popping off (routinely), idler pulley seizing, yeah...I'd drive it Vegas. puff....puff..pass...puhleeeeze

Here's some research for you peeps, from Barron's - LINK

Don't dole out the 'pwned' crap, I CAN tell you that I have dealt with (personally) with at least one 560SL Mercedes that had an unintended acceleration 'issue' - the Mercedes lawyers were quickly dispatched ASAP.

I will not even touch on the SBC where MB dropped the system entirely and many people did not even have brakes in their 'high-quality' MB's - LINK
Research or type 'SBC' and 'goog' for yourself.

Last edited by StapleGun; 04-03-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Please tell me that you're not using a '98 C-Class to validate your claim that (new) Benzes are "fragile". Electronically fussy perhaps, but the newest line of Benzes are vault solid in build, furthest thing from fragile.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by StapleGun
Bland styling and all - I'll take a Camry (any Toyota for that matter) cross country and back twice any day over any MB. My next MB is fact will be an ISF Lexus...Mercedes vehicles are waaaay too fragile for me. There is a reason why Mercedes resale values take a precipitous dive once they are driven off the lot and Toyota's don't.

Someone said 'vanilla' you mean to tell me any of the new styling cues that have come from MB are unique? They flat out suck - the new E class could pass as a Camry...

I like my MB, but reliable and worry free they are not - I would never own save for the fact that I turn wrenches, so to speak. My Toyota has ran for 202,000 miles with only routine maintenance. My C43 has had MAF issues (common to all), Crank Position Issues (again common problem), Harmonic balancer (TSB), seats lines popping off (routinely), idler pulley seizing, yeah...I'd drive it Vegas. puff....puff..pass...puhleeeeze

Here's some research for you peeps, from Barron's - LINK

Don't dole out the 'pwned' crap, I CAN tell you that I have dealt with (personally) with at least one 560SL Mercedes that had an unintended acceleration 'issue' - the Mercedes lawyers were quickly dispatched ASAP.

I will not even touch on the SBC where MB dropped the system entirely and many people did not even have brakes in their 'high-quality' MB's - LINK
Research or type 'SBC' and 'goog' for yourself.
You appear to most highly value reliability and durability, which is fine. Statistical data does support Toyota's claim to fame on that issue, although the W204 C Class is not even close to having the issues you describe, and won the 2010 JDPower IQS survey.

However, by "vanilla" some of us don't mean styling. I recently rented a new Toyota, under one thousand miles on the odometer, and the disconnected steering feel, flaccid suspension, and throwback interior might, just might, please my grandfather, if he were still alive. The issue boils down to the importance of what the industry calls "Things Gone Right" versus "Things Gone Wrong" and how much of one you will tolerate to have the other...think of Jaguar lovers as the extreme example...they put up with a lot for the lovely qualities the car could deliver. For me, and many here, it doesn't matter how reliable or long lasting a Toyota is....I rely on my household appliances for that satisfaction...if a car doesn't put a smile on my face just for the pleasure of the driving experience, it is of little interest. Not since one of the Supras of years ago has Toyota focussed on that attribute. And, they attract the audience they seek. In the research I did professionally, the typical first answer among Toyota owners when asked why that brand..."I have no trouble with it". Great, but for people who are car-involved and actually enjoy driving, Toyota is the wrong brand.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Having vast experiences with multiple brands brought up in this thread.. meh, they're all good cars. I don't find the new Camry in SE-V6 trim to be bad in any way. It's not a sports car, neither is the non-AMG C-class. An automatic 268hp 4-door is not a sports car no matter how sporty it looks or which wheels drive it. I've never been impressed with the W204, though.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Actually, the results of the final report stated that there was no evidence of electronic failures. However, there was evidence of both poorly designed floor mats and mechanical failures in the throttle assembly causing "some" of the incidents.
If you want to act like an authority on something, maybe you should be a little more thorough with your research.
That was mostly because either the owners were putting all weather mats on top of existing carpet mats, or they were using non oem weather mats. But yes, the design of the retention hooks and the gas pedal did come into play.

However people want to look at it, it was just a blip in Toyota's long lineage of reliable cars.

Each brand (toyota and mercedes) make great cars in their respective classes. Toyota may be more bland, but the newer models arent bad looking at all. Mercedes have been generally less reliable, but great strides are being made here as well. There are few actually bad cars on the road today.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
"In the United States, 77% of the nearly 3 million Mercedes-Benz cars sold since 1952 still were registered as operating vehicles at the end of last year..."

Not too shabby.....Toyota is probably 80% for all I know.

As stated over and over, Toyota makes great, reliable cars...for non enthusiast type drivers. It will get you from A to B without fail, or excitement, if that is what you prefer.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Lets see I`ve owned 65 new cars and in the last 2 decades I `ve owned 6 Mercedes, 2 BMW`s, 2 Lexus and a Corvette convertible...my wife has had 3 Acures, 4 Hondas, 4 Toyotas...The C300 Sport 4 Matic is the smallest Merc. I`ve owned and I like it very much...My wife has a new Honda Accord V6 that is the best Honda ever built and is a very nice car....Her Toyotas were just as nice and care free cars...

If you put miles on a Mercedes be prepared to pay big bucks for maintenance, insurance is higher and parts are ridiculous but I still like them....Mercedes are just not cheap to own period.....Speed isn`t much a issue because now the new speeding laws just instituted in Illinois call for $1500 fine and up to 6 months in jail if your`re caught going 40 miles a hour over the limit...slower is better now...

As a side note I drove the Hyundai Genesis when purchasing the Mercedes and I can only say it`s a lot a car for $33,000 a lot.....S Class size, outstanding fit and finish, v8 engines drives like a dream 100,000 mi. warranty...The auto industry is in trouble if it thinks it can keep their prices up with these new Hyundai`s and Kie`s coming out...it will be intresting to see what happens...

Mercedes is a pride of ownership thing because if you take the money spent into consideration and compare whats out there... Mercedes is a big loser...I still like them but this will be the last one.....I almost didn`t get this one after driving the Genesis but made a last minute heart based decision...

No matter what you say right now there is a new world order here now in cars and it`s all about price...Mercedes BMW Audi Toyora and Honda GM Ford Chrysler and others will lose out to the Hyundai`s and Kia`s and the new ones to come along unless they can build as good for the money....Jim
Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
I always get confuse when I see a Hyundai from far away is hard to indentified them they look like a MB, BMW a lot of people are talking very good about Hyundai
Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Lexus GS 450h
I don't think anyone will debate the C-class is a better car than a Camry. What he thread is about is the Camry V-6 is as fast or faster than a C350 which is accurate. It is pretty swift and handle decent in SE form but lacks steering feel. Better tires help tons.

With the C350 getting 300hp now it should now be faster. The C class was always the slower car of this class, way behind the IS, 3 series but people value different things as the C class has sold well this generation.

There is ALWAYS a faster car

I always joke with others when my "hybrid" beats them or is faster. Its just a silly "hybrid"
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
You know, I once had many of your points of view. I used to think that I was careless and wasting my money by buying luxury cars like infiniti and Mercedes. But the truth is, when it came around to car shopping, they keep luring me back. Everytime I drive a camry, hyundai etc, I get no emotion or pleasure and keep trying to find reasons why its a good deal or a good car. It seems like I almost have to make excuses or convince myself to like it. When it comes to my last infiniti - it just gave me an emotion, I instantly fell in love with it (I got it the day it came out, g37 coupe). In fact, I had to try to "unconvince" myself from getting it. Saying its not reliable, fuel economy stinks, tires, etc. But at the end of the day my emotions won out.

The bottom line is this. My mercedes-benz cars, escalade, infiniti's and the like all do one thing that a toyota or a hyundai can never do. Give me an emotion or driving pleasure than makes me feel connected to the road. When I want to have a smooth and luxurious ride, I have one, when I want sport handling with low body roll and great acceleration - I have that too. Its a great package. While yes, it is expensive - its all about the cost to play the game.

I do like how hyundai and kia are offering some VERY impressive competition. I am definitely keeping my eye on them, but right now I am content. I have had considerable driving time with the sonata, and when I'm done driving I can't help but complain about its "cheap" driving feel. Jerky with gas pedal, unwanted pulling upon acceleration (FWD is probably to blame) LOUD engine noise. And the looks are ok - that H emblem is FUGLY. They need to switch to the Genesis's H with wings on all their cars.

When my w204 runs into the ground and I am a bit older (like 4 years from now) I will be 25 and will probably consider something more practical like a hyundai genesis. But for right now, I want to enjoy my youth and I work hard to have nice things.

For all those who want a better value than Mercedes-Benz - try out Infinti. I REALLY loved that car. Awesome value (standard leather, xenon headlights, great design, great ride). But in the end I fell victim to the enchantment of the Mercedes-Benz brand and I have never once regretted getting my w204.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM

c350sport
I couldn't agree with you more. Who are BMW designing cars for? Only the M trim and the 1 series are decent to look at! And very expensive, too! The 7 series keeps getting uglier and uglier!!! The ultimate driving machine... not the ultimate looking machine. It has nothing on the S class!!! Also, I cant get past those two little gayish ( no offense to anyone ) grill ovals - time to change that look, don't you think? I had an owner of an 2011 camry the other day ask me if I wanted to trade cars with him when he dared to park next to me - what an A-HOLE!!! Nobody looks for that perfect-far-away-parking-spot for a camry...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM

2008 C350
Canes, I think you'll find many here who appreciate and love BMW's. Many here that own both.

You're entitled to your opinion but I believe this thread is not indicative of this community as a whole. Usually everybody here is quite positive and respectful and mature about these types of things.

...Unless, of course, you badge your car AMG. Even my girlfriend has grown to hate that. I get texts, "It has 3 digits and 2 tail pipes! Poser!"
Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by jcash60
As a side note I drove the Hyundai Genesis when purchasing the Mercedes and I can only say it`s a lot a car for $33,000 a lot.....S Class size, outstanding fit and finish, v8 engines drives like a dream 100,000 mi. warranty...The auto industry is in trouble if it thinks it can keep their prices up with these new Hyundai`s and Kie`s coming out...it will be intresting to see what happens...

Mercedes is a pride of ownership thing because if you take the money spent into consideration and compare whats out there... Mercedes is a big loser...I still like them but this will be the last one.....I almost didn`t get this one after driving the Genesis but made a last minute heart based decision...

No matter what you say right now there is a new world order here now in cars and it`s all about price...Mercedes BMW Audi Toyora and Honda GM Ford Chrysler and others will lose out to the Hyundai`s and Kia`s and the new ones to come along unless they can build as good for the money....Jim
You're older than I am so I'm sure you remember everybody saying this about Lexus/etc 15-20 years ago. That BMW, Mercedes and Audi are going to be bankrupted by Lexus and it's Jappenese bretheren. It wasn't true then and it isn't true now.

The Genesis... it's "a nice car for a Hyundai." First, the sedan and coupe are entirely different cars. I've driven both. The coupe seems to me to be competing with the Accord coupe, a car a good friend of mine owns. Certainly it's not going to compete with a 3-series couple or CLK.

Second, the sedan... This reminds me so much of first gen lexus. They set out to copy as close as possible an an established competitor (in this case it's definitely inspired by current Mercedes deisgn language) and then out-option the competitor at a cheaper price. This is the Lexus playbook all the way. And clearly it's OK, lexus is quite profitable and popular. And Genesis may be as well. But it's not going to sink the competition as you suggest. If Lexus is any indication, it'll convert non-lux buyers into its near-lux cars, rather than steal established buyers from European luxury brands. Perhaps it'll poach from Lexus/Acura/Infiniti buyers. I dont' know enough to say one way or another.

Third, I drove that sedan for several hours one day. Granted, that's not a very long time. Let me say unequivocally: It is an under-engineered cargo-cult "luxury" automobile. Maybe some care only about options and the appearance they provide. But every single male owner of a BMW, Mercedes or Audi that I know (sorry ladies, don't mean to sound sexist) value the solid engineering that make the car delightful to drive.

It's the little things. Not just fit and finish: Design is even more important. And again, it's all cargo cult from Huyndai.

I think Lexus makes as good of a car as Mercedes, BMW and Audi. A different species of car, but yes, as good. Hyundai is far, far off in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by canes1
I couldn't agree with you more. Who are BMW designing cars for? Only the M trim and the 1 series are decent to look at! And very expensive, too! The 7 series keeps getting uglier and uglier!!! The ultimate driving machine... not the ultimate looking machine. It has nothing on the S class!!! Also, I cant get past those two little gayish ( no offense to anyone ) grill ovals - time to change that look, don't you think? I had an owner of an 2011 camry the other day ask me if I wanted to trade cars with him when he dared to park next to me - what an A-HOLE!!! Nobody looks for that perfect-far-away-parking-spot for a camry...
Ouch, way to lower the average IQ on MBWorld in your 1 and only post. Styling is subjective. Gay is a sexual preference and only someone with some underlying tendencies could somehow relate it to the grilles on a car, and no they are not going to change their signature look (well loved). And a brand new car is a brand new car, there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to care for it - you'd be stupid to drop even $20k on a car and then not care at all.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 AM

2008 C350 Benz, GLA250 4matic
Originally Posted by hitokiri89
Motorttend has the 350 at 5.8 seconds which doesn't really matter the two numbers are so close anyway . If you raced him you should win since your has arch sportier nature than his . I had a 2007 camry 4 cylinder ... Slow as s**t lol . If the two of you raced he would be owned because the camry is not made with fast driving in mind where as the Benz is made to live on the autobahn .

Yea but its the Camry S model prob...it has a 270 some hp V6 and its lighter
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 AM

2008 C350 Benz, GLA250 4matic
my question boys....how do we make our mercs SMASH on these toyos? :/ seriously....I want to be at 300 +hp in my C350....ideas?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
An ECU tune, good tires, a better launch? But to get 300HP+, you're looking at either remote turbo or an ECU tune+headers, weight reduction, pulley, new intake manifold, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Slower than a Camry ?