C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

HELP- Need advice on Rear right taillight not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes Benz C300 White
Question HELP- Need advice on Rear right taillight not working

Hello I need advice on what to do or where to take my 2009 C300 Mercedes Benz. I purchased the car around Christmas time, used, and just had the taillights tinted but now the rear right taillight is coming up with a bunch of error codes and does not work at all. It seems the car has been in an accident in the past (imagine that not on the Carfax report) and now the taillight is shorting out. My auto guy had few suggestions to fix the problem:

1) split the cable and it will work, temporarily, but if a fire starts up in the trunk one day-they are not liable
2) take it to mercedes benz and at the rate $110/hr they can look to find where the wire is damaged
3) I though about looking up auto dismantlers in the sacramento area and trying to find a new wiring harness clip, the small gray part that holds all the wires together because apparently that is what looks to be melted and part of the problem..
4) check online the proper voltages for all the fuses, say if one of the lights is running at 30 and the required is only 20 then if i switch some down maybe it wont short out?

I'm not sure what my best option is, please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas, I am open and appreciate i. Right now the whole taillight is out, blinkers, brake lights, and all and I don't want tickets
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C350
go to a shop thats main customers are european auto (bmw and Mbenzs) and have them do it for you. These guys are better than most dealers and will charge you half of what the dealer will as well. I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing take care of it, unless you know someone or have the knowledge yourself. Good Luck.