C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
View Poll Results: Does an Upper Strut Brace Improve Performance?
Yes, I have or drove with one and I can feel the handling difference
32.00%
No, I have or drove with one and I cannot feel the handling difference
12.00%
I don't know
56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

UPPER STRUT BRACE POLL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
UPPER STRUT BRACE POLL

I couldn't add a poll to an existing thread, so please give an opinion on the handling performance effect.

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-20-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Approaching 200 views, and only 5 responses to the poll. This certainly does not seem to be a popular mod!
Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Knowing that you have the sway bars installed, you will benefit with the strut brace and it will be a lot better ride with a rear strut brace, not sure if is available.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I've learned of front braces from RennTech, MBArts, and SMERC, but I've not heard of anyone doing a rear. I'd not be eager to get too deeply back into the rear, as it took 3 hours just to swap out the rear bar, with all the disassembly that was required.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Not sure whether to be surprised or just disappointed, but almost 300 views and only 10 responses, even though an "I don't know" answer was available. I guess if I can't get you folks to even click on an easy button, strut braces don't whip up a lot of interest or enthusiasm here, which is likely a bigger problem for the three companies who invested in them than for us customers!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
Im planning on getting the MB arts w the Eibach anti sways and with both you will get a solid feel of better handling.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
I have used an upper strut brace (strut bar) for another make and model but not with our W204s so I can't give a real time feedback on how it will affect our car's steering response.

I have installed an adjustable aluminum strut bar on my 2000 Mitsubishi but I never raced my car on the track so i couldn't give any feedback as well on how it performs in high speed cornering. I may have noticed a little improvement in steering response with normal driving but it can all be placebo.

The only benefit I got from installing it is purely cosmetic. I won't be installing one unless I decide to track my car.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Hoping to creat a market...

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Not sure whether to be surprised or just disappointed, but almost 300 views and only 10 responses, even though an "I don't know" answer was available. I guess if I can't get you folks to even click on an easy button, strut braces don't whip up a lot of interest or enthusiasm here, which is likely a bigger problem for the three companies who invested in them than for us customers!
Reminds me of the quote: There are things that are created to be sold vs things created to be bought.

There are some cars that benefit from a strut brace because their front structure containing the upper strut mount does flex under high-G cornering. The Porsche 911 is one example.

Who says the W204 does this and who could take advantage of the brace if it was installed?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM

W204 C350
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I've learned of front braces from RennTech, MBArts, and SMERC, but I've not heard of anyone doing a rear. I'd not be eager to get too deeply back into the rear, as it took 3 hours just to swap out the rear bar, with all the disassembly that was required.
Renntech does a rear bar... has the same concept as the front with the cross CF bar detachable, so you can remove it in a matter of seconds... spoke and saw it installed on a C63 they had over at festivals of speed show last year. I'll try and p ost pics if I can find one, I"m sure I took a picture... Quite expensive though at around $1000 for the rear alone...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
The rear of W204's already has a substantial brace, the 4" square box that runs under the rear passenger compartment shelf.
The left front shock tower has a brace that runs to the firewall, not so on the right side. Assume that it is reversed for RHD vehicles. Perhaps this brace compensates for the openings left for the steering and brake mechanisms.
In any case the rear of the towers are connected to the firewall, and would be nearly impossible for these two points of the frame (the top point of each shock), to move towards each other.
Frame twist (where for instance the left front of the frame rises relative to the rear wheels) cannot be corrected by a simple brace. The W204 uses the roof as a structural member to combat this stress.
Of the front braces I have seen, (mostly BMW, check eBay) none are properly engineered, as their weakest points are the first bolt hole and at the apex of the bar. Neither have sufficient strength to resist an inward movement of the top of the shocks.
The most substantial front strut bar found on eBay (for an E46 BMW) shown in the attached photo. Tell me if you think this strut will resist the tons of force required to prevent 1/32nd inch of inward movement.
Attached Thumbnails UPPER STRUT BRACE POLL-strutbrace.jpg  

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 03-21-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
You'll get the most bang for your buck with sway bars which you already have. Strut brace will tighten it up further. You won't notice it really in daily driving (unless you're prone to try to beat the red on left turn arrows), but where it pays off is taking mountain twisties which I run every so often. Go with a one piece design imo like the MBArts instead of multi piece.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thanks...these are some very insightful replies raising very valid issues to consider...appreciate you sharing your expertise!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Just another point on the MBArts strut brace, the reason I'm a believe in that product is the engineering backing it as it was designed by people who build race cars for a living. The base is actually a single plate piece that's enforced by the three provided bolts which are also specifically selected for their strength. The base plate is then welded (really damn good welds also) to dual 41XX high-strength low-alloy steel chromoly bars. It's not the prettiest bar, but is by far the most functional. You can always wrap it in CF like I did to beauty it up.

CF Wrapped (test fitting, not screwed in all the way)
Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Unless you're a top-notch driver putting serious loads on the chassis (road course, slicks, high entry and exit speeds, etc.) you will very likely just be adding weight under the hood and lightening your wallet.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
It's a quality part, for sure - but the thread was asking something else. These are the guys, though.

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Just another point on the MBArts strut brace, the reason I'm a believe in that product is the engineering backing it as it was designed by people who build race cars for a living. The base is actually a single plate piece that's enforced by the three provided bolts which are also specifically selected for their strength. The base plate is then welded (really damn good welds also) to dual 41XX high-strength low-alloy steel chromoly bars. It's not the prettiest bar, but is by far the most functional. You can always wrap it in CF like I did to beauty it up.

CF Wrapped (test fitting, not screwed in all the way)