C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Keeping My C350 Beautiful in SF (Or any other dense city, I suppose)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
Keeping My C350 Beautiful in SF (Or any other dense city, I suppose)

Hey Guys,

I'm a software engineer, currently living in paradise (Siesta Key, Sarasota FL).

For many career oriented reasons, for both myself and the future Mrs. Encoder, we're moving, nearly certainly to San Francisco, but other tech-intensive cities haven't been entirely ruled out.

Right now I've got my C350, she's got a throwaway car, a Kia.

Here's my dilemma... I'm not yet sold on living downtown but we're leaning that way. But of the 2br places in our budget (up to $3000), i've not seen a single one with 2 parking spaces. They have either one or none.

So maybe we get rid of the kia, that's the thinking.

But.... It's nice having a car to drive places where I don't like taking the mercedes.

Here's my real issue, though....

The conventional wisdom is often, said with a chuckle, "learn to tolerate all the dents and scrapes on your bumbers and fenders because people can't park and everybody is packed-in"

Oohhhhh ****. No. No. No.

So tell me any SF guys: What does a car lover do? I baby this thing. I spent 3 hours last week meticulously cleaning the door/hood/trunk jambs even though they were already cleaner than most peoples exterior.

Do we use the Kia for all intra-city driving and parking? (Or better yet, just a bike) and I park my benz in a garage somewhere? Do we just ditch the downtown living and get a cheaper suburban place in the valley? (i don't mind the commute but also don't mind living in Mountain View / Sunnyvale / Etc).

What's gonna happen to my baby when I move?

Thanks !!

Shane
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C350
*Off topic* I live in Sarasota... are you going to FOS in St. Pete next weekend? a couple of W204s are going an we are all driving up together.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 PM

09 C350
Great Move, your going to love SF! The weather is not nearly as warm, but the city is my favorite! I've been living here for 2 years and have a gated parking space (2 blocks from my house) that I pay $175/month, which is cheap. My recommendation would be live in SF especially if your in our 20-30's.

As far as 2 cars, if both you guys will be commuting it makes sense, if not sell the Kia or buy a city parking sticker (not expensive) and pay attention to street cleaning days because $75 tickets add up. As for your C350, if your anything like me, street parking with fender benders is unacceptable, so get a place with 1 included parking or pay extra for a garage.

Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM

09 ml350 4matic
i would say go look for a house for rent. usually those would have a garage for you to park in. 3000/month for rent would get you what your looking for. welcome to sf when you get here
Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 AM

MB c300 Sport, Honda Prelude SH
Welcome, and good luck with city parking! Use garage if possible!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Parking in SF is a hassle do what Wongster recommends find a house.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 AM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Shane (encoder),

First off... warm greetings from CA

Above posts are some good pointers given out by fellow Nor Cal members.

Just a suggestion... Try out Sunnyvale, CA. It's only a 30 minute commute to downtown San Francisco (that's without traffic). San Jose is only 5 miles to the south. One of the best beaches in the country, Santa Cruz, is about forty five minutes away.

Since you are in the tech industry it makes a lot of sense to live in Sunnyvale since it is in the heart of silicone valley. You might find your new job in the here in the future.

It has been ranked by Money Magazine as the fourth safest city in the nation and by Zero Population growth as the number one city in California for raising children.

For your budget of 3K for rent... You would definitely find a decent 3 BR home in Sunnyvale or maybe less

Good Luck

You will miss the Florida sun
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 AM

2011 C300 Sport
facing similar problem with protecting car in DC area. have any of you tried wrapping your car in any protective film, and if so have any brand suggestions?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 AM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Originally Posted by covance
facing similar problem with protecting car in DC area. have any of you tried wrapping your car in any protective film, and if so have any brand suggestions?
Yes, 3M Scotchgard clear paint protection film also known as clear bra. I had it installed on my leading hood edges, front bumper and fenders.

I had it on my car for over 2 years now except for my front bumper which I had it repainted. Im very pleased with the quality and longevity of the product.

Make sure you have a reputable shop install it. It's like a window tint job... It doesn't matter how good the material is if it wasn't properly applied/ installed it will eventually fail it's purpose.

My only concern in the beginning was it might turn yellow or give out a yellowish hue after being exposed to the sun for a long period of time but my local installed said the film itself is constructed with thermoplastic urethane that is covered by a clear coat layer which contains UV protectants to counteract UV rays that can cause yellowing. Plus I have a 5 year warranty on my film.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Dont park on the street, because that will just make you paranoid. If you have a parking spot where you rent, then that should be fine. If you plan to drive to work, it would be best to find a monthly parking spot down town ~$400 or perhaps use public transportation/walk if you are going to be downtown. I dont see how this would be different in a less dense city. There will always be people who dont know how to drive.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:22 AM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by ZeroSeVen
Yes, 3M Scotchgard clear paint protection film also known as clear bra. I had it installed on my leading hood edges, front bumper and fenders.
hey man thanks for the reply. what i am most worried about is sides of the car with people in parking spots next to me parking too close then opening their doors into mine, etc etc

any way you can 3M the sides of the vehicle as well or any other suggestions?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 AM

2011 C300 Sport
sides i.e. door
Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Something like this?

http://www.doorshox.com/
Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Something like this?

http://www.doorshox.com/
ya i saw companies along these lines but it would be really annoying to slap those on/off everytime i park or move the car.

is there no film that can be permanently applied to the sides of the car?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM

2008 C350
ya i saw companies along these lines but it would be really annoying to slap those on/off everytime i park or move the car.

is there no film that can be permanently applied to the sides of the car?
I don't think there's a film that could help you in the event of impact like these would.

Though I like clear-bra for scuffs and scrapes and will certainly get that added.

My biggest concern is, just living in the city, I imagine if I drive downtown I'll have to parallel park often... say we stop for lunch or at a bank or whatver, you know, normal course of business.

Where i live now -- less dense -- every place has a parking lot. That's why it's different in a less dense city as somebody asked earlier.

In big expensive cities it's not often cost effective for a business to have its own parking lot.

So i wanted to ask somebody whose actually lived there... I'm making up these scenarios so in your day-to-day, how is it really? Do you just not drive in those cases? Valet? (tho I've had plenty of valet issues in the past and I've never valeted the mercedes) Etc.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM

2011 C300 Sport
I would choose to find a nearby parking garage (usually there is always one within a few blocks) and pay the parking fee over taking street parking or valet to street parking.

So I was reading a discussion on the "bumper bully" product on another forum that a friend sent me, and it was brought up that using things like this or making it really obvious you are trying to protect your car by parking far away and alone leads to a "moral hazard" (their words not mine) where people actually actively try to mess up your car. thoughts?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 AM

2008 C350
So I was reading a discussion on the "bumper bully" product on another forum that a friend sent me, and it was brought up that using things like this or making it really obvious you are trying to protect your car by parking far away and alone leads to a "moral hazard" (their words not mine) where people actually actively try to mess up your car. thoughts?
Yeah I've thought about this and heard stories as well. Right now, all my usual places I go, I know the best out of the way spots. I definitely park far out in the distance everywhere I go.

I suppose there are people who are just haters who would vandalize a car when the owner takes these measures. But I think that's not nearly as likely as a distracted driver pulling out of a spot while on the phone and grazing my fender, or an un-controlled child flinging a car door open, etc, etc, etc.

I think behavior FAR more likely to induce vandalism (even minor, spitting on the car type of stuff) is if you take up 2 spots that are even moderately close to the entrance. That truly is a dick move I think.

And you're right to use scare quotes, that's definitely not technically a "moral hazard." More than anything it's just making yourself stand-out.

Also, if there's a few nice cars out in the distance I'll park with them in the cluster. Keep my mercedes company But also, i figure it'll stand out less than the lone wolf. And the guy in the new 5 Series and Audi A6 aren't going to door ding me if they took the trouble to also park a hundred miles away like I do.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by encoder
Yeah I've thought about this and heard stories as well. Right now, all my usual places I go, I know the best out of the way spots. I definitely park far out in the distance everywhere I go.

I suppose there are people who are just haters who would vandalize a car when the owner takes these measures. But I think that's not nearly as likely as a distracted driver pulling out of a spot while on the phone and grazing my fender, or an un-controlled child flinging a car door open, etc, etc, etc.

I think behavior FAR more likely to induce vandalism (even minor, spitting on the car type of stuff) is if you take up 2 spots that are even moderately close to the entrance. That truly is a dick move I think.

And you're right to use scare quotes, that's definitely not technically a "moral hazard." More than anything it's just making yourself stand-out.

Also, if there's a few nice cars out in the distance I'll park with them in the cluster. Keep my mercedes company But also, i figure it'll stand out less than the lone wolf. And the guy in the new 5 Series and Audi A6 aren't going to door ding me if they took the trouble to also park a hundred miles away like I do.
Good advice But I feel the door shox above would be far more likely to entice someone to "see if it works" and open their door into your car vs. just having the bumper guard
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM

2008 C300
My best advice for you is never parallel park in any busy street. For instance I would never park anywhere near Oak Street since people can't park for crap.. Honestly I wouldn't parallel park anywhere in SF even in the residential area. Even a undercover cop car once bumper tap my front before... Best recommendation would be park anywhere with a meter spot, 1 parking space only. Also I read you're worried about vandalism and what not right? Stay away from bars and parking lots. I got my whole hood scratched from left to right at the Metreon Parking lot and my car window smash in front of Holy Cow 11th and Folsom. Ahh there so many places too list "where not to park" haha
Though Welcome to SF!!! :P
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM

09 ml350 4matic
parking in downtown during business hours... good luck. whenever i go out there i just head for the parking lot.

parking in the city i expect that i'm gonna get a bumper tap here and there so i don't worry about it. if your worried about vandalism, when parking, don't be a dick and that won't give other people to vandalize your car.