C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

survey-mods with the greatest return on investment

Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
survey-mods with the greatest return on investment

Hi all,

I have now owned my first MB for 10 month and want to consider some mods soon. With many to choose from I was hoping to get some feedback from those experienced MB owners ( C class) on the best mods with the greatest return on investment.

I drive mostly as a commuter in the DC area so handling and performance are probably the highest priorities followed by interior comfort. I love the lines of my 2010 C350 so don't want to do much on the exterior. I have the audio 20 without nav--would be nice to stream Pandora from my Droid without wires hanging out of the dash.

Not looking to make the car louder but a few more ponies would be nice. Handling seems like it could be a little stiffer but don't want to take away the comfortable ride.

Thoughts from the group? Thx.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c350
For performance you could go with a ecu tune and maybe some H&R springs for handling .
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The single largest improvement in handling while maintaining interior comfort is installation of Eibach front and rear antisway bars, available from tirerack.com for $450, but requiring several hours of labor (front is easy, rear requires the bulk of the work). However, the difference in steering response and reduction of body roll is significant, while essentially having no detrimental effect on ride comfort as do most spring modifications. Combine this with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, or PS2 (or PS3 if available yet) if you will also have winter tires. Between the bars and tires, the car is quite delightfully transformed.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
I bought a carbon fiber trunk lid spoiler on ebay for around $150 shipped and it makes me smile every time I walk by the car. I would highly recommend one if your car is spoiler less
Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Upgrading to Infinity Kappa loudspeakers over the stock OM junk drivers. For about $200 one gets an immensely more satisfying driving experience, especially in traffic jams!!!
(Not applicable to those fortunate to have the HK Logic system).
Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM

2011 C300 Sport
subscribed
Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
Do the sway bars bolt right on or do you have to cut and weld anything ?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Sportstick
.. or PS2 (or PS3 if available yet) ...
PS3s are NOT the replacement for PS2s; PSSs are.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
PS3s are NOT the replacement for PS2s; PSSs are.
That seems to conflict with the following release from Michelin, although the "part of" language is not clear.

Michelin Press Release:

Michelin has launched the new Pilot Sport 3 to replace part of its Pilot Exalto and Pilot Sport 2 ranges. It is the only tire to combine outstanding on-road performance with environmental features which are unrivalled in its category.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 delivers high levels of grip. On wet surfaces, it holds the road better
when cornering and stops three meters shorter* than its predecessor, the reigning benchmark sports tire**. In addition, the new tire provides very precise steering for an enjoyable driving experience. That’s why Michelin can say that its new high-performance tire delivers “enhanced driving sensations”. What’s more, unlike any other sports tire, it also boasts outstanding fuel efficiency and extended mileage among its dynamic qualities.

Intended for a wide variety of vehicle categories, the Pilot Sport 3 is suitable for sporty hatchbacks and large, powerful saloons as Send through Y!M E-mail this
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Photos
well as small sports cars, such as roadsters and coupes, with the large 18 to 19-inch sizes serving as optional equipment on non-sporting models. In automotive industry terms, the tire will cover every vehicle segment from class A to E1.

In addition to this broad range of applications, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is designed to be a truly global tire. The tire is being introduced in early 2010 in replacement markets around the world – South America, Europe, Africa, the Pacific and Asia – and will be launched in

North America one year later. Importantly, the new Pilot Sport 3 has already been homologated by several car manufacturers even though dealer sales are only just starting. Some car manufacturers have approved the tire for use on their signature sports car models such as the new Audi A5 and the new Mercedes E 63 AMG. This promising start is a testament to the all-round excellence of the Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

Michelin’s latest car tire is a good illustration of the Group’s strategy, which is never to sacrifice one performance feature for another. This means improving performance in several different areas simultaneously, a prerequisite to making any real progress. To achieve this balance, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 has been
built with unique, highly advanced technologies, such as the Green Power Compound, the Anti Surf System and Programmed Distortion tire architecture, all developed at Michelin’s Technology Center.

*Test performed in 2009 by independent technical services firm TÜV SÜD Automotive on size 245/40 ZR 18 Y tires.
**The MICHELIN Pilot Sport range is certified for use on more than 200 models.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by hitokiri89
Do the sway bars bolt right on or do you have to cut and weld anything ?
No welding...direct replacement for the existing bars. The only cutting is splitting open the clamp around the original bushings to re-use them with the new urethane bushings.

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-29-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
As you stated, cosmetics are not important and what is important is ride and interior, I'd look at sway bars as Sportstick suggested first. Then look towards interior comforts. The audio 20 is ok, but nothing to write home about. If you're an AM guy, it's good enough. If you're an FM guy or an audiophile, upgrade your speakers. Even just swapping the HK tweeters make a big difference. Throw on some sound dampening material to eliminate road noise and enjoy the music. Then think about getting UMI to assist you in utilizing your tech goodies. After that, there are many ways you can branch off with most being more cosmetic or cosmetic with some function. Really depends on your budget and goals from that point forward.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 AM

2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
Thanks all so far on the advice. Sounds like sway bars are first. Would help reduce to body roll while on and off ramping or just some of the crazy corning you need to do around here to steer away from the wild drivers here. ( thx sportstick and AZN)

I like the ECU suggestion but from what I have read in the forum is it is very costly and requires removing it and sending it off.

Speakers-yes. Will do that one. Also I checked with my dealer here and they can upgrade me with the umi and the plus bluetooth streaming for around $900-seems pretty reasonable compared to some of the prices I have seen on the forum. I had once looked at converting to the MM center but the cost is a little over the top-even for a diy type.

Getting the windows tinting this week as a start before it warms up around here. Start moding the summer.

Thx again
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM

2009 C300 Sport
In my commuter car, the mod that I am grateful for is an upgrade -- I replaced my standard inside mirror with an used MB self dimming/homelink mirror for ~$140. Plug and play -- and since my commute starts early AM while still dark -- very useful.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
To be honest, there is little to no return on anything custom you do to a car.....I bought 65 new cars.....most being high end and have learned most people don`t want anything you do with a car that has been customized and in many cases you may very well lose money because the vast majority of people want stock cars that no one has screwed with...

On trade in.... dealers want stock cars.... Mercedes will reduce the trade in value if you don`t have the stock Mercedes wheels....no matter if your wheels cost $10.000...Don`t tell them you`ve screwed around with sway bars and the like they may not even want your car as a trade in...

The best you can do is customize with items that you can remove and resell when you grt rid of the auto.....Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by ltcinf
Thanks all so far on the advice. Sounds like sway bars are first. Would help reduce to body roll while on and off ramping or just some of the crazy corning you need to do around here to steer away from the wild drivers here. ( thx sportstick and AZN)

I like the ECU suggestion but from what I have read in the forum is it is very costly and requires removing it and sending it off.

Speakers-yes. Will do that one. Also I checked with my dealer here and they can upgrade me with the umi and the plus bluetooth streaming for around $900-seems pretty reasonable compared to some of the prices I have seen on the forum. I had once looked at converting to the MM center but the cost is a little over the top-even for a diy type.

Getting the windows tinting this week as a start before it warms up around here. Start moding the summer.

Thx again
Definitely do speakers. IMO UMI is a waste of money... I bought a blackberry audio stereo bluetooth A2DP transmitter for my car and hooked it up to the aux port and car charger in the glove box. I now get bluetooth streaming audio for $30... Mix this with my iPhone which has great navigation apps for free (some even have traffic) and its awesome. No wires, no cables, and still retains factory bluetooth phone intergration. A great way to save $850!

I am definitely going to upgrade the speakers to Infinity Kappa all the way around and a Boss low profile sub in the rear mounted under the rear shelf in the trunk.

Also, I would recommend getting an X-pipe. For around $150 out the door (xpipe and installation) it is a great value. It might not make it faster, but it sure puts a smile on my face and makes my driving experience much better...

Last edited by jctevere; 03-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Get yourself a Broadway mirror. Once you use it, you won't be able to go back to the smaller compact rear view mirror again lol. Really opens up your field of vision.