C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

End of lease questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Well, you have to look at your lease documentation that was written up. In it will state mileage, if you go over what the rate will be. The disposition fee (or turn in fee). For me it was $650 (pretty hefty if you ask me). However, this fee gets waived if you buyout the car at the end or lease/purchase a new Mercedes-Benz.

In my experience the lease appraisers (the people who come to your house a week or two before your lease is due to give you a write up of any fees or damages owed) are VERY lenient.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300
wow i didnt even know Mercedes gives u a visit before the lease ends.. they do that to everybody? and they are nice? they go and check the car and estimate any damages?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by lamonsas
wow i didnt even know Mercedes gives u a visit before the lease ends.. they do that to everybody? and they are nice? they go and check the car and estimate any damages?
Well, I have always bought my mercedes-benz cars. This is the first time I have leased from Mercedes. However, I am not new to leasing. With Infiniti and a bunch of other companies they contact you to send an "assesor" to evaluate your car prior to lease end. I am 99% sure Mercedes uses an identical or similar process. The inspectors are not from mercedes but rather a third-party assement company. They then give you your "bill" and you can sign and agree to the fines/fees (if there are any) or try to get the list fixed on your own before you turn it in. Then you can schedule for re-evaluation or leave it up to the dealership at the lease end to insepct it.

Last edited by jctevere; 04-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
In my experiences at least, Mercedes doesn't send anyone to evaluate the car before turn-in. They send you a mailing about 3 months before your lease maturity and they "recommend" (but do not require) that you stop by the dealership at your convenience for a complimentary pre-turn-in inspection but it's totally up to you whether you do that or not.

I recommend going to the MBFS website. They have info there about the inspection and what's chargeable, including info about the credit card test I mentioned earlier. That should answer a bunch of questions regarding whether something will be chargeable or not. Other than that, you know whether you have all the "accessories" that came with the car (both keys, owner's manual, etc) and you can read the odometer yourself to know if you're over mileage. It's actually rather easy, although it can feel overwhelming the first time.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
right now they are eating 5 months on leases to get into new cars, they will go up to 7 if your salesman is a hustler. They will eat the miles if your close to your total miles, even though your turning in early or leasing again. I have a 2011 on deposit waiting for a vehicle locate to come through. Im in month 33 on a 2008 c350. They looked the car over and a few dings and chips are just fine w them, theyre happy to sell another car...If your way over miles of going to be call MB financial. They always sent me letters past 2 leases to buy more miles ahead of time, usually towards the first full year on lease.

I stopped buying newer/used luxury cars after i saw what a racket there was in mileage rollbacks with these vehicles. Alot of people buy super low mileage leases and just illegally have the mileage "adjusted" before turn in. I never believe used car mileage after what ive seen.....
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Hi All,

My lease on a C300 4matic 2008 is also up and need some advice (1st time leaser).

I can do the buyout which is $29K. and would add the 3YR. extended warranty ($2800) so the car would be under warranty up to 2014 (transmission to 2015) for the total of $31,800.

Or I can to step into a new 3 year lease for a 2011 (adding Nav and premium package) for the total lease cost of $29K. (Residual $29K.) Am I doing the right thing by starting a new lease, after all, the leasing cost is lower then my buy out? Also with my current lease I paid $20K down (I like to have low monthly payments) is there any reason why that isn't recommended?

Last edited by 2nice4me; 04-11-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 AM

2011 C300
I think u are, that buyout price isn't worth it. I have the 2011 and It's awesome , u get the full mm package? 4matic?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by 2nice4me
I can do the buyout which is $29K. and would add the 3YR. extended warranty ($2800) so the car would be under warranty up to 2014 (transmission to 2015) for the total of $31,800.

Or I can to step into a new 3 year lease for a 2011 (adding Nav and premium package) for the total lease cost of $29K. (Residual $29K.) Am I doing the right thing by starting a new lease, after all, the leasing cost is lower then my buy out? Also with my current lease I paid $20K down (I like to have low monthly payments) is there any reason why that isn't recommended?
Well, what you really need to compare is the buyout price of keeping your car with the price to buy a used 2008 with similar equipment. If the buyout is less than the market value of a similar car on the used market then it would make sense to buy out the lease and keep the car or sell it for a profit. If the buyout is more than the market value of a similar car then it doesn't make sense to buy it unless the lessor is willing to deal on the price.

It's hard to compare buying out the lease with leasing a new car because they're very different. In the former case, you're buying a car that you will own outright (either eventually or immediately depending on whether you finance or pay cash) and in the latter case, you'd make payments for three more years and be right back in the same situation. It's not exactly apples to apples. Do you want to own a car or do you want to lease a car? Neither answer is necessarily right or wrong; it's what you want and which works better for you.

Regarding putting money down on a lease, don't do it. It makes no financial sense whatsoever.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
The buyout is less then the current market value, comparable cars are selling between $33K to 37K. However I had some work done on my front bumber including replacing a left headlight, although the repair was minor (IMO) but the cost was over $3000 so may affect the value of the car. I will need to see what people would give me for this car.

I dont like surprises when it comes down to repairs etc. so its important for me to have warranty coverage (especially with Mercedes). I am also the type of person that changes cars every 4-6 years. so leasing seems to make sense for me.

thx for the feedback
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by 2nice4me

The difference is that after the buyout you own the car and you only paid $3K more than the lease.

BTW...you put $20K down on a lease?!?! Please tell me that's a typo and you meant to say you put $2K down! Why in the word would you throw all that money out of pocket. You are putting out half of the total cost of the car...why not just finance the rest and own it at the end? It doesn't make sense.

Never, ever, EVER put a big down payment down on a lease. What happens if the car gets totaled? The insurance will cover the difference of what you owe but you just lost ALL the money you put down on it.

My current lease is for 39 months. $479 a month and the only money I put down was to cover taxes, title, registration and first months payment ($1500 total).

I'd STRONGLY suggest you do some research before leasing again
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
agreed

the previous posters are all correct. These cars are NOT worth buying at end of lease in N.America. Your better off financing from the get go, you save thousands. Or just release like I do, and they even forgive some minor stuff and minor mileage. I just located a 2011 C350 to replace my 08 and got a slammin deal. Car is fully loaded, every option P1 P2 P3 and all the rest icluding paddle shifters . black on black, 5k down 549 for 33 months. Car books at 49.7k and lease price is based on 44.7k but its also my 3rd benz w this dealer