C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 in Snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
One more for dedicated winter tires. I purchased used OEM wheels off Ebay and had inexpensive Pirelli Snow tires installed. Worked fine in the few snow storms we had in Md. But I was raised in Syracuse NY and everyone drove RWD in the 60s and 70s without issue. But they all put WINTER tires on at the beginning of the season.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
That name is used by Pirelli on both Summer and All-Season. If these were OE tires, I presume they are the all-season variety. However, none of these are capable in the winter. If you live where there is more than an occasional light snow dusting, you will need winter tires. AWD just turns all the tires, but it's the tire which is gaining the traction with the ground (or not). For this reason, even some of us who live in the northern states stick with rwd, but use winter tires. There are no so-called "all season" tires which are truly winter capable....Continental DWS come closest, but even they only claim for "light snow". Therefore, your dealer has nothing to swap for, although he or others will be glad to sell you winter tires.
I really appreciate the help here. Thank you so much. Yes, OE tires they do say all season on them Pirelli... I just read off the tire since I really have no clue about tires. I wasn't really thinking much about it til someone said to me... "you're going to miss your X5 this winter!" That's when I decided to do some research. I will def talk to dealer when I go back for my plates.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
14' E63S
K here is the break down. No matter what ALL season tires you have, they wlll never be as good in winter as actual winter tires, since that is their sole purpose.

But! I live in Edmonton and we get heavy winters with snow and ice, and for the past 8 years I have run only All Season (Really good all season), instead of winters, and now with 4matic I did the same during this winter. I had no problems at all.

THe main thing is you can have what ever tires you want on your car, but if you are going to be driving like you might in the summer and floor the pedal or hit the brakes or try to take a corner at 80km/h then you are screwed either way.

All you really need is good all season tires and to slow down. IF you have winter tires, you can slow down less, but they still won't help you when you hit hard ice.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 PM

c300 sport
Originally Posted by Andriy242
K here is the break down. No matter what ALL season tires you have, they wlll never be as good in winter as actual winter tires, since that is their sole purpose.

But! I live in Edmonton and we get heavy winters with snow and ice, and for the past 8 years I have run only All Season (Really good all season), instead of winters, and now with 4matic I did the same during this winter. I had no problems at all.

THe main thing is you can have what ever tires you want on your car, but if you are going to be driving like you might in the summer and floor the pedal or hit the brakes or try to take a corner at 80km/h then you are screwed either way.

All you really need is good all season tires and to slow down. IF you have winter tires, you can slow down less, but they still won't help you when you hit hard ice.
Thank you for taking the time to write and explain. I understand exactly what you mean. I was feeling a little upset about selling my X5... (female mind..ugh) But this explaination helped a lot. I live in Northern NJ so winters could be pretty bad... Last year was horrible. Getting to my house is all hills as well as my driveway... It's only a 27 mo. lease so I guess I will see how it goes :-)))
Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 PM

C220 Elegance
Obviously good tyres are essential, but having tried to drive my W204 on snow and ice in the UK on the rare occasions it lies for any time, the handling has been awful. I've found the only way to make it work is to turn off the ESP and accept some wheel spin to get the car moving / maintain traction. ESP tends to kill all drive on the first bit of slippage.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
I don't get the hate for RWD in snow. I used to drive a corvette through the winter. It was my only car and was out in heavy snow storms frequently. It did just fine. I fact I preferred the failure mode of RWD over FWD in snow. Its easier to correct for if you're a competent driver. AWD I think is more a false sense of security than anything. When you stop and corner, all cars use all 4 wheels. Just because you can take off a little easier, it lets you think you have more traction than you really do. If your car is getting stuck on relatively level terrain it means you have the wrong tires for conditions, not the wrong drive train. You probably shouldn't be out in those conditions AWD or RWD with those tires.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
^ +1

I'd rather fail from a parked position and be "stuck" than failing later on the move when I need to stop.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by edgalang
^ +1

I'd rather fail from a parked position and be "stuck" than failing later on the move when I need to stop.
+2 Both of the above posts are correct!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM

14' E63S
Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
I don't get the hate for RWD in snow. I used to drive a corvette through the winter. It was my only car and was out in heavy snow storms frequently. It did just fine. I fact I preferred the failure mode of RWD over FWD in snow. Its easier to correct for if you're a competent driver. AWD I think is more a false sense of security than anything. When you stop and corner, all cars use all 4 wheels. Just because you can take off a little easier, it lets you think you have more traction than you really do. If your car is getting stuck on relatively level terrain it means you have the wrong tires for conditions, not the wrong drive train. You probably shouldn't be out in those conditions AWD or RWD with those tires.
First off what do you classify a "snow storm"?

I highly doubt a corvette can go through the winters that we experience. And AWD does not give you a fall sense of security, since it can put more percentage of power on each wheel to maintain traction, which RWD does not do. So you have 2 free floating wheels and 2 50% wheels. While lets say an AWD will have 25% all around and up to 100% on each wheel. That automatically gives better traction.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE

I highly doubt a corvette can go through the winters that we experience. And AWD does not give you a fall sense of security, since it can put more percentage of power on each wheel to maintain traction, which RWD does not do. So you have 2 free floating wheels and 2 50% wheels. While lets say an AWD will have 25% all around and up to 100% on each wheel. That automatically gives better traction.
As a Michigander, I am comfortable with what makes a snowstorm!

Anyway, a car does not maintain traction, no matter how many wheels are turning. The tires maintain traction. If a stationery car is on such a low mu surface that, with dedicated winter tires, neither rear tire can provide traction, AWD has a chance of letting one or both of the front tires find traction if the surface is uneven. This helps getting underway when standing still.

Once past that scenario, there is little difference, not enough to justify the cost and weight and performance detriments all year long. If one doesn't care about any of those, certainly AWD with dedicated winter tires is the most protective set-up, but if one does, winter tires alone on rwd provides great winter performance in almost every possible on-road scenario, as I've experienced for many-a-year! The worst false sense of security are those who buy AWD and then think they are ready for winter with OE all-season tires.

BTW, yes I also have a 4MATIC E Class. That's the only way one can find them here if not choosing to wait for an order. The back-to-back experience of driving both the C and E (on Blizzaks) in the winter reinforces the minor advantage versus the significant downsides.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:45 PM

C350

I live in Chicago. 6-12" isn't uncommon. 3-4" happens all the time. Not quite Canadian levels of snow probably but we get honest to god snow storms. Not that 1-2" and it melts off the the afternoon crap.

When braking and turning off power a AWD car is a slightly heavier RWD car. AWD does have an advantage accelerating and some small advantage on power in a corner, but that exactly what gives you the false sense of security. If anything I bet a RWD model stops quicker in snow due to the couple hundred pounds its not carrying around. Its not like I haven't owned AWD car before.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 AM

2009 Manual C300 Sport
For work, I drive a mid-size RWD van, and have since 1996... the difference going from all-season to winter specific tires was pretty OUTSTANDING. Mind you, its no Chicago, or even NY weather in Delaware, but these roads freeze up QUICK, as opposed to maintaining a nice "packed snow" composition. So a lot of the time we are talking a nasty mix of wet, slush, ice, hard pack, etc.

The dedicated winter tire is no joke!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 PM

2011 c300 sport
This is my first post, and my first MB.

Snowy update: Living in Maine, this is my first MB and I love it. We found a 2011 with only 12,500 miles!
This Fall, we have had two 12" plus snow storms, one after Halloween and one for Thanksgiving. For the former, I did not have snow tires and the car got stuck easily. (rear wheel drive, not the 4 wheel drive)
I entrusted the snow tires choice to a local and honest mechanic who chose Snow Claw studded tires. (I am not native to Maine).

The Thanksgiving snow storm left us with about 14" of snow and the car has handled beautifully. I agree with those who have stated that it is a lot about the driver and style. Since moving to Maine, I've noticed a trend in snow storms over the past decade: those with four wheel drive, particularly trucks, drive excessively fast and pressure other drivers. Maine driving is very slow, particularly compared to my home state of New York, but when it snows, it is almost as if the 4 wheel drive crowd has been waiting to "get out there" and show off. It makes for dangerous conditions.
I am in love with the MB. I am learning the subtle difference between "E" and "S" driving. What I do not know is how to use the 7 speed automatic manually. Any suggestions?

A friend in NY had always insisted on MB quality...boy, was he ever correct!

The snow tires have performed very well in the snow storm, though not as well in a heavy rain last week. The regular tires were better in the rain.

Lastly, in the purchase, there were two cars: one was the 4matic with 37K, so I could not resist getting one with just 12K miles, with both similar in pricing.

Here in a more northerly part of Maine, we get snow and lots of it. Two 12" plus snow storms thus far, and we have not reached Winter yet. The heating system in the car is wonderful. It is the first one that my wife and I agree upon since she likes it much warmer than I do. The sound system is wonderful, wit an "old" iPod with 5,000 plus songs in the glove compartment. I am pleased with the sound system, and it is nice to answer the phone, hands free with the blue tooth.

Any good articles about the transmission and shift change?

Any advice on tires? It came with 17" which felt great. Is there advantage to going to 19"? I am enjoying the 'sport' feel of the driving and am pleasantly surprised to see how quickly it jumps from 55 to 70.

Peter

Last edited by PeterHyatt; 11-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:46 PM

14' E63S
So here is the end to this post.

Here in Edmonton we got about 12" of snow (1 foot) overnight and I had absolutely no issues driving the benz on stick all season Contis and it being a 4matic.

BUTTTTTTTTTTT

Ofcourse the car would have handled better with winter tires, that is without a doubt, but I am happy with how I can handle the car in these conditions. THere are and always will be people that drive other cars who can't even get of the line without spinning out or spinning their tires, and that could be to bad tires, bad drivers or what ever else.

THe only thing you need to know is here!!!

ALL SEASONS ARE FINE
WINTERS ARE BETTER
RWD IS FINE
4MATIC IS BETTER

But taking all of that into affect.
You will still scrape all of the snow on the roads.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE

THe only thing you need to know is here!!!

[B]ALL SEASONS ARE FINE
WINTERS ARE BETTER
RWD IS FINE
4MATIC IS BETTER
This may be true if you are driving with no surrounding traffic. You've been fortunate not to need to make a turn or stop in winter traffic so suddenly or unexpectedly that it exceeded the capability of all seasons, but would have been doable with winter tires. It is for that difference that all seasons are not fine...you just haven't hit anything in winter....yet.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:11 AM

14' E63S
Originally Posted by Sportstick
This may be true if you are driving with no surrounding traffic. You've been fortunate not to need to make a turn or stop in winter traffic so suddenly or unexpectedly that it exceeded the capability of all seasons, but would have been doable with winter tires. It is for that difference that all seasons are not fine...you just haven't hit anything in winter....yet.
No offense but I feel like there is no win or compromise with people like you.

I have AWD, good all season, and I slow down and keep my distance in the winter, hence I have never gotten into an accident *knocks on wood*.

Its called drive smart, I had times where I had to hit my brakes, but i had room to stop and even if I slid a bit, I had room for ever because I wasn't up someones *** in the snow.

For you the only good answer is
Get winter tires and awd and you are good.

For me the good answer, is I can handle snow and ice in my all seasons. I did the winter driving academy so I can see and I know what winter tires can do, and no doubt that they are better in the snow. BUT some of us don't need them because we SLOW DOWN and not hurl up someones *** doing twice the speed limit with studded winter tires and your awd.

Oh and by the way, I can do 70km/h in this snow during traffic and snow without sliding or getting ABS to kick in during rush hour. IN MY ALL SEASON!

Last edited by Andriy242; 11-29-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM

2011 c300 sport
In the first storm (Nov 1), I only had the all year tires on, and got stuck in my driveway, as it is a slight incline.

In the second storm, with the studded snow tires, I did not get stuck, as I tested it in the same area.

Once out and about, I found the snow tires gave excellent grip. I do think that skillful driving plays a role, but I need the snow tires.

After reading here, I am already thinking about next Spring and possibly giving sport tires a try...Michelin Pilot sport?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
No offense but I feel like there is no win or compromise with people like you.

I have AWD, good all season, and I slow down and keep my distance in the winter, hence I have never gotten into an accident *knocks on wood*.

Its called drive smart, I had times where I had to hit my brakes, but i had room to stop and even if I slid a bit, I had room for ever because I wasn't up someones *** in the snow.

For you the only good answer is
Get winter tires and awd and you are good.

For me the good answer, is I can handle snow and ice in my all seasons. I did the winter driving academy so I can see and I know what winter tires can do, and no doubt that they are better in the snow. BUT some of us don't need them because we SLOW DOWN and not hurl up someones *** doing twice the speed limit with studded winter tires and your awd.

Oh and by the way, I can do 70km/h in this snow during traffic and snow without sliding or getting ABS to kick in during rush hour. IN MY ALL SEASON!
No offense taken, but I think you're injecting a level of emotion that is not necessary in this....it's just about physics. I can tell you feel you are highly skilled, but that is not the issue. No matter how invulnerable you feel you are and how cautiously (far back) you drive, when someone loses control and spins out into your path, slides through an intersection in your path or runs a red light, or any other unexpected event occurs while you've been driving extra-cautiously, there is a point where all-seasons will not be up to the task while winter tires would have been. It's that simple and it will not have mattered if you graduated from the Bemidji School of Ice Driving or have decades of winter driving experience. Over time, most people will have an unexpected problem develop suddenly in front of them....how well you survive it will depend on how well you prepared. This concept is risk management....the risk/benefit ratio assessment of swapping out tires for winter. So, there is no argument to "win"...these events happen....you just have to decide if you are willing to accept that one day it could happen to you (an idea many people struggle with).

BTW, I do not advocate for all wheel drive. It does not help with the potentially life-saving issues of braking and turning. It does help somewhat with getting going from a standstill.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-29-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
I just put on goodyear f1 asymmetric all seasons and in the rain, they were very impressive. anyone have snow experience with them they can share? i'm looking forward to the snow with them because the poem contis were horrific.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM

2009 Manual C300 Sport
Thumbs up Continental Extreme Winter Contact 17" Stock wheels.

My girlfriend rides on nice 19"s during the summer, she has a manual 6-speed RWD, and we just switched to the stock wheels and 17" Continental Extreme Winter Contact snow tires. We have only had a dusting around here in Delaware so no reports yet on snow driving, however, dry and wet driving has been a treat.

The tires did not change a lot of the drive attitude on the vehicle, it still feels as if its riding on 19's (I was expecting the ride to feel smoother; more cushioned - not the case), but the lowered C300 still offers great confidence during spirited driving in dry cold weather and safe driving during wet weather.

So, so far it has been great! No extra noise, no crappy steering feel, and great traction that will get her through (hopefully) a few winters.

Definitely worth the investment in money and time swapping wheels and the end and start of the cold season.

If you drive with summer specific tires, beware, they are downright dangerous!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 PM

C350
Originally Posted by DJ BIS

The tires did not change a lot of the drive attitude on the vehicle, it still feels as if its riding on 19's (I was expecting the ride to feel smoother; more cushioned - not the case), but the lowered C300 still offers great confidence during spirited driving in dry cold weather and safe driving during wet weather.

So, so far it has been great! No extra noise, no crappy steering feel, and great traction that will get her through (hopefully) a few winters.
I have those tires. There fine and all, but to say there is no difference in feel.... you just must not be very sensitive. Its little softer over bumps and expansion joints. Mainly the steering feel a little laggy. Kinda like playing a online video game with a bad connection. Summers felt like they turned in as you turned the wheel. The winters feel like they have to wind up a bit. Not a big deal and I knew it would be there.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:41 AM

2009 Manual C300 Sport
I have those tires. There fine and all, but to say there is no difference in feel.... you just must not be very sensitive. Its little softer over bumps and expansion joints. Mainly the steering feel a little laggy. Kinda like playing a online video game with a bad connection. Summers felt like they turned in as you turned the wheel. The winters feel like they have to wind up a bit. Not a big deal and I knew it would be there.
Response is not the same, like you said, a little laggy and soft when pushed hard on a turn, but by no means does it feel soft and wobbly (like I expected it might). I was surprised in that area. I am not claiming these feel like summer tires. They shouldn't.

I would not expect that your vehicle would feel the same as mine, after all, your suspension configuration is probably very different than mine, making the vehicle feel a particular way.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
I've noticed this laggy feeling in snow and on ice a little, and I'm not sure if you're referring to feeling that sensation all the time with those tires, but I think it's due to the ESP function taking partial control during a turn when traction is limited.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 PM

2009 Manual C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Funkwagen
I've noticed this laggy feeling in snow and on ice a little, and I'm not sure if you're referring to feeling that sensation all the time with those tires, but I think it's due to the ESP function taking partial control during a turn when traction is limited.
No we are talking about the soft nature of a snow tire. The rubber is super soft and pliable/supple. Also the fact that some users are going from thin high performance tires to thicker ones that are just meant for civil driving.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:21 PM

2011 c300 sport
Originally Posted by DJ BIS
No we are talking about the soft nature of a snow tire. The rubber is super soft and pliable/supple. Also the fact that some users are going from thin high performance tires to thicker ones that are just meant for civil driving.
DJ,

could you share some information on tires you'd recommend for the 300 specifically:

what tires for what results?

For example:

what kind of tires for performance? what do they do performance-wise?

what kind of tires for comfort? what is the difference?

etc...

I am really quite new to this and would appreciate it.

thanks!

Peter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 in Snow?