C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 in Snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Manual C300 Sport
Originally Posted by PeterHyatt
DJ,

could you share some information on tires you'd recommend for the 300 specifically:

what tires for what results?

For example:

what kind of tires for performance? what do they do performance-wise?

what kind of tires for comfort? what is the difference?

etc...

I am really quite new to this and would appreciate it.

thanks!

Peter
What tire suits you is specifically relative to you and your car. People judge tires differently, but there are lots of info on the internet that you can use to be more informed so that you can go to a professional tire shop that can provide you with a tire that meets your needs.

A website like TireRack which tests and rates tires and also uses community data in order to rank their tires is also a great place to learn and figure out what you should be looking for:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

TIRE DECISION GUIDE:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/MenuServlet?search=tdg

WINTER TIRE GUIDE:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/Men...arch=winterTDG

And finally, here is one of the best guides to helping you:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=31
Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 PM

2011 c300 sport
Originally Posted by DJ BIS
What tire suits you is specifically relative to you and your car. People judge tires differently, but there are lots of info on the internet that you can use to be more informed so that you can go to a professional tire shop that can provide you with a tire that meets your needs.

A website like TireRack which tests and rates tires and also uses community data in order to rank their tires is also a great place to learn and figure out what you should be looking for:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

TIRE DECISION GUIDE:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/MenuServlet?search=tdg

WINTER TIRE GUIDE:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/Men...arch=winterTDG

And finally, here is one of the best guides to helping you:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=31
Thanks...great web site "Tire Decision Guide"!

I have found good info on the web for snow tires and am happy with the snow tires (studded) that I have now. By the way, I type this from Georgia, 72 degrees, while my kids are back home on yet another snow day off from school with the 3rd snow storm of the Fall!

What I am specifically thinking of is next Spring. I don't know much about performance tires. The Michelin Pilot is something I am considering. I just need to learn more about comfort versus performance and what, exactly, does "performance" mean, and what others who drive this same vehicle enjoy.

for example: what is the difference between ordering 17" tires and 18"??

thanks again.

Last edited by PeterHyatt; 12-03-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:20 PM

2009 Manual C300 Sport
Originally Posted by PeterHyatt
Thanks. I have found good info on the web for snow tires and am happy with the snow tires (studded) that I have now. By the way, I type this from Georgia, 72 degrees, while my kids are back home on yet another snow day off from school with the 3rd snow storm of the Fall!

What I am specifically thinking of is next Spring. I don't know much about performance tires. The Michelin Pilot is something I am considering. I just need to learn more about comfort versus performance and what, exactly, does "performance" mean, and what others who drive this same vehicle enjoy.

thanks again.
My advice is that you don't focus on "brands". Instead put more attention to the reviews and ratings. TireRack is a great source for that.
If your budget is large and you can afford any tire, you can use TireRack's tools to at least point you in the right direction when it comes to the tire for YOU.

What does performance mean? That is a broad term that different people will define differently. For example, John, from texas, uses his C300 as a daily driving vehicle. He goes to work on the highway and his commute is very short. He picks a tire that suits that driving style and his driving needs. TO him performance may mean a safe tire that will give him great braking performance on dry weather. His requirements and opinion of "performance" aren't very demanding.

Then you have Alex, from Michigan. He is a driving enthusiast who drives his car to work all year round through snow and ice and during the summer he attends autocross/racing events where he puts his lowered C300 to the test. Alex requires a tire that performs great all year round, has good road manners for his work commute, and can let him exercise his vehicle on the track when he desires. Alex definition of "performance" is completely different than John in Texas.

Performance is a relative term. Its relative to the use you will give to the tire and the type of activities you will subject it to. Only you can determine what level of performance to choose from.

Rubber compound, thread design, noise, tube/tubeless, weather capability, speed rating, size, comfort, durability, cost... Performance is not easily to define.

Ideally, customers with the budget to afford it, who really care about their tires, usually purchase tires to meet specific goals.
You could have race tires that you use in your C300, but also have Winter Tires for the cold months. Or maybe you keep your winter tires and then during the summer pull out a set of tires you bought based on the fact that they are quiet and feel plush and comfy to you and your passengers.
Or you feel totally comfortable driving all year round on ONE set of highly rated "ALL-SEASON" tires.

Just realize that whatever you pick, be it an ALL SEASON tire, or a Summer Ultra High performance tire, there is a compromise being made by that choice. No tire is perfect. But plenty of tires can be "good enough".
Old 12-03-2014, 06:45 PM

2011 c300 sport
Great info.

In between posting, I am going through the articles and links posted.

I am happy with the winter tires...

I would like to learn about descriptions that are "plush" and provide the most comfortable, vibration reducing type of tire. I have plenty of months to save and shop and learn before Spring (Mud Season) reaches Maine.

Experience with Michelin Pilot sport?

given the weather here: hydroplaning is a concern. We have Spring that is truly "mud season" and wet and a very short summer.

The links are great...lots to learn. Thank you again,
Peter

Last edited by PeterHyatt; 12-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
C300 Sport
^^^^
Since you already have winter tires, the Michelin Pilot sports are an excellent choice. I am likely picking up the same for summer tires in spring. Good traction, quiet, hydroplane resistance
Old 12-05-2014, 04:49 PM

2011 c300 sport
Thanks, 95 993,

I am very much interested in the hydroplaning. Even I 95 here is very wet, a lot of the time.

Peter
Old 12-05-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
C300 Sport
I am in MA so I know what you're talking about.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
So last night I was able to drive up a significantly steep hill with about 1-2ft of un-plowed snow without getting stuck or stopping once. Winter tires and 4matic of course. I've never experienced that before, I'm pretty impressed!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:06 AM

2011 c300 sport
Originally Posted by Funkwagen
So last night I was able to drive up a significantly steep hill with about 1-2ft of un-plowed snow without getting stuck or stopping once. Winter tires and 4matic of course. I've never experienced that before, I'm pretty impressed!
Glad to hear!

I have the rear wheel drive (2011 300 Sport) with studded snow tires and have had no difficulties thus far in Maine.

This morning, the engine turned over at -16F which is a relief. The heating system is wonderful in the MB. With such severe cold and a dusting of snow, conditions are ripe for accidents but I feel safe with the vehicle.