C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

tires for comfort ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 AMG
tires for comfort ride

any suggestions for tires so i get the max comfort ride..
weather is mostly sunny where i live
Old 04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by gorica79
any suggestions for tires so i get the max comfort ride..
weather is mostly sunny where i live
Here is survey data from tirerack.com with the highest ranked "ride comfort" ratings. These category of tires did best for ride versus the other categories, as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...l&sortValue=11

I'd take the Michelins over Goodyear for the improved responsiveness in dry conditions. A 9.0 is still quite high and these surveys are good guidelines, but there are some sample bias issues.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I think the inherant problem is that many of our C300s came with tires made with a special rubber blend that would be harder to be able to get a higher gas milage rating. You can buy the same tire at a tire dealer and it'll ride better. This happened to me on the back rear tires. Front tires have 67,000 miles and still has plenty of tread.

When someone goes from one of the hard original tires to another brand, the difference is likely to jump out at them. Then they'll be praising the other brand not knowing about the hard original tires. So yes, its difficult getting good information on tires.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:00 PM

C180 AMG
i want front tires to be Front: 225/45R17
and Rear: 245/40ZR17
can i get this for the michelins you toold me?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
i want front tires to be Front: 225/45R17
and Rear: 245/40ZR17
can i get this for the michelins you toold me?
It seems not, sadly. You will want to spend some time on tirerack.com and Shop by Vehicle, enter your car model info, the size will come up, and then all matching sets will be visible. You can rank by rating, read surveys and tests, etc. and look for best ride which does come in those sizes.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM

C180 AMG
how about these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....yes&tab=Survey

for c200 sport
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Outstanding tires! Not for use below 40 degrees or in any snow whatsoever. If the ride comfort data meets with your approval, you will certainly enjoy driving the car!! They also make DWS, which is an excellent all-season tire, in case a flake or two falls your way. I have those on my wife and daughter's car and they are quiet and comfortable too.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Agree with gorica79 about the Conti ExtremeContact. Very popular in England. I was looking for a quieter more supple tire for when replacements are needed. Although some reports of sidewall bubbles from potholes because of their thinness.

My C300 Sport came equipped with the Michelin Primacy HP, the most expensive tire TireRack has for the W204 (about $1,100 DLS).

The Primacy HP is hard and noisy but I will reserve judgement until I see more tread wear, as Mexican roads are brutal and mine at least are driven at high speed (read 180 KPH+) for extended periods and distances.

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 04-05-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Michelin PS2 - The Contis give sidewall trouble & get noisy - exception DWS. Where are you - complete your profile.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-05-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Michelin PS2 - The Contis give sidewall trouble & get noisy - exception DWS. Where are you - complete your profile.
Agree PS2 are excellent, but is it your experience that DW shares the troubles of the run of the mill Contis? They appear to rate very highly, as do DWS, and I know some local users who are quite delighted.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 AM

C300 4matic
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Agree with gorica79 about the Conti ExtremeContact. Very popular in England. I was looking for a quieter more supple tire for when replacements are needed. Although some reports of sidewall bubbles from potholes because of their thinness.

My C300 Sport came equipped with the Michelin Primacy HP, the most expensive tire TireRack has for the W204 (about $1,100 DLS).

The Primacy HP is hard and noisy but I will reserve judgement until I see more tread wear, as Mexican roads are brutal and mine at least are driven at high speed (read 180 KPH+) for extended periods and distances.

Very true about the bubble cuz I just got one from those damn potholes,but its good in a way cuz now im forced to upgrade to 19" Vertini and new tires :-)
Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w204 - 350 N other white cars
mich ps2 r good. had them, but not all tires r suitable for all conditions n in this case, i just rate them good n not great for mine.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Agree PS2 are excellent, but is it your experience that DW shares the troubles of the run of the mill Contis? They appear to rate very highly, as do DWS, and I know some local users who are quite delighted.
DW does not have a good reputation in SA - Summer conditions obviously.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
DW does not have a good reputation in SA - Summer conditions obviously.
Well, OP, there you go! Perhaps a consensus forms around PS2 if you are truly warm weather bound, or DWS if you plan/protect for any trips to colder areas.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Well, I wrote out this whole response and it got deleted. So let me try to sum it up. Michelin is a great tire with a proven history. However, my father recently got a set of DWS on his SL 500 and its great! Quiet, smooth, and the tread really holds up well. One complaint is that it has a "soft" sidewall, meaning that bubble are more likely if you hit a pot hole. We have hit some pretty nasty ones and have no issues yet, but only time will tell.

But I look at it like this. Any tire can form a bubble, and chances are that if you hit a bad enough pothole for that to happen, almost any tire would do the same under that circumstance. But why is the advantage in DWS's corner? Because at its MUCH lower price, you can afford to almost buy a complete second set of tires for the cost of good Michelin tires.

Not to mention that these tires are MONSTERS in the snow (for all-seasons) my father could barely get out of the driveway without tremendous rear-end slide out on his Michelin All-seasons, but with the DWS he was easily able to get out and about with minimal slippage.

To please sportstick: Would the DWS be just as good as a dedicated winter tire in such conditions - no. But for my father's needs it serves him fine, light snow usage, great tread-wear longevity, cheap, and not to mention it looks great (that is subjective though).

About the only thing that we could suggest to improve upon with this tire would be its "turn in". This tire has a bit of give before it holds its position around exit ramps. Meaning you get slightly more body roll around ramps, but its really not noticeable and after the initial give the tire is as strong as can be. Some people report that this almost completely goes away if you bring the PSI up a bit - but then you are more susceptible to sidewall bubbling. We have found a pretty good common ground for my father's driving style. He rarely drives fast enough around the exit ramps to experience the body roll.

Last edited by jctevere; 04-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jctevere
Well, I wrote out this whole response and it got deleted. So let me try to sum it up. Michelin is a great tire with a proven history. However, my father recently got a set of DWS on his SL 500 and its great! Quiet, smooth, and the tread really holds up well. One complaint is that it has a "soft" sidewall, meaning that bubble are more likely if you hit a pot hole. We have hit some pretty nasty ones and have no issues yet, but only time will tell.

But I look at it like this. Any tire can form a bubble, and chances are that if you hit a bad enough pothole for that to happen, almost any tire would do the same under that circumstance. But why is the advantage in DWS's corner? Because at its MUCH lower price, you can afford to almost buy a complete second set of tires for the cost of good Michelin tires.

Not to mention that these tires are MONSTERS in the snow (for all-seasons) my father could barely get out of the driveway without tremendous rear-end slide out on his Michelin All-seasons, but with the DWS he was easily able to get out and about with minimal slippage.

To please sportstick: Would the DWS be just as good as a dedicated winter tire in such conditions - no. But for my father's needs it serves him fine, light snow usage, great tread-wear longevity, cheap, and not to mention it looks great (that is subjective though).

About the only thing that we could suggest to improve upon with this tire would be its "turn in". This tire has a bit of give before it holds its position around exit ramps. Meaning you get slightly more body roll around ramps, but its really not noticeable and after the initial give the tire is as strong as can be. Some people report that this almost completely goes away if you bring the PSI up a bit - but then you are more susceptible to sidewall bubbling. We have found a pretty good common ground for my father's driving style. He rarely drives fast enough around the exit ramps to experience the body roll.
A very sound and well reasoned post!!

BTW, I just bought a set of DWS for my daughter's Accord, and she does not change to winter tires either!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
A very sound and well reasoned post!!

BTW, I just bought a set of DWS for my daughter's Accord, and she does not change to winter tires either!
Haha, thanks! I will be waiting for the thread later this year about how your daughter got stuck with DWS tires in her accord when its starts to snow.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jctevere
Haha, thanks! I will be waiting for the thread later this year about how your daughter got stuck with DWS tires in her accord when its starts to snow.
Hope not! I rationalized that at least she gets pulled around in the Honda!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Hope not! I rationalized that at least she gets pulled around in the Honda!
AHHH HAAAA! At last you admit to major important differences of drivetrain when it comes to snow performance.

I only kid, I'm sure everything will be fine.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM

C180 AMG
so to summarize
you think conti sw is a good solution for comfort ride in a hot country like mines?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM

C180 AMG
i can get these...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

local dealer said are the best their category
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
They are in the same category as the Conti DW, and some others. The owners survey shows they are liked, but not the best. In this category, don't take them where it snows or the temps drop below 40 degrees, even in the dry.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Eagle F1 Asymmetric is a Michelin copy & pretty good for it's price. They have had some out of round manufacturing problems.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Eagle F1 Asymmetric is a Michelin copy & pretty good for it's price. They have had some out of round manufacturing problems.
....thus, the name!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 AM

C180 AMG
finally got the michelin pilot sport 3...very satisfied

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tires for comfort ride