C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

A few pics with my 2011 C class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 (w204)
im sitting here wondering why not too many people are curious about the new tail lights? Could we get pictures of the lights in park and when the brakes are being pressed? I'm guessing the tail lights wont be a direct swap into a 2008-2010 model? I want those lights lol and i will do anything to make it work !!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 PM

2012 C300 4MATIC, 2014 Tesla Model S P85
Are those LED DRLs right underneath the highbeams?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by Sportstick
By all measures, the Malibu has been considered a very well done car for its purpose. I am not a style-driven buyer, but I was very surprised and disappointed to see the renewal. The rear is interesting with the Camaro-esque taillamps, but the side and particularly the front looks like what I would expect to see lining the rows at Avis. A two year old Sonata is still more interesting to look at, and with what Ford has done with Focus and Fiesta, I expect the Fusion re-do, based on Mondeo, to also pass Malibu by very quickly for exterior design. There isn't a headlamp technology in the world which could make that sheetmetal and grille seem new or fresh. Still, a very solid piece of engineering for a typical daily driver.
I disagree somewhat. I think it's very classy looking as opposed to the flashy but overdone Sonata. I think it'll look much better in person as well..just as the new Passat does.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by C300Kid
So I researched this new street pilot plug in nav system everyones talking about. MB is launching in the new C and SLK..it's really cool. Anyone know if it's Europe-only?
Dont know if it comes in the EU only, i have picked up my car today and the pilot map is really nice. Also the audio20 is nice.

The thing i dont understand is that the radio display is still the fugly brown screen. But i have it on on night modus always.

The map pilot screen is really nice collored.

Pics will follow soon.

Also have multicontour seats, that is also really nice for a small extra price.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I disagree somewhat. I think it's very classy looking as opposed to the flashy but overdone Sonata. I think it'll look much better in person as well..just as the new Passat does.
I had just hoped that GM Design would have brought the same visual interest and fresh approach to the front of the vehicle as they did for the rear. The Passat was oddly reminiscent of an old Chevy Impala to my eye at the auto show, and was skewered in the press after the reveal for being so boringly unremarkable. However, the VW CC is the polar opposite...quite attractive. But, there is a market for each preference, and Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors for a reason, including the best selling vanilla!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
By all measures, the Malibu has been considered a very well done car for its purpose. I am not a style-driven buyer, but I was very surprised and disappointed to see the renewal. The rear is interesting with the Camaro-esque taillamps, but the side and particularly the front looks like what I would expect to see lining the rows at Avis. A two year old Sonata is still more interesting to look at, and with what Ford has done with Focus and Fiesta, I expect the Fusion re-do, based on Mondeo, to also pass Malibu by very quickly for exterior design. There isn't a headlamp technology in the world which could make that sheetmetal and grille seem new or fresh. Still, a very solid piece of engineering for a typical daily driver.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I really think that the '08 Malibu design was so fresh and cool for its Class when it came out, and I still think it's one of the more handsome and sophisticated designs considering its Class. The new one is the first Malibu in generations that FINALLY has a winning formula to evolve on, so it was interesting as to how GM would fare.

I think it looks pretty good though, and is a clean, solid looking car compared to the overdone and popping-smoke Sonata and Optima (like was said above), but I'm curious to see how it fares in real life. I do think the front end doesn't look as serious and "business" as the current one, and looks a bit friendlier, while the Camaro-y rear looks a bit mismatched with the otherwise conservative exterior.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dunno what bland front end you're referring to..to me this looks pretty aggressive.

Obviously you all haven't seen a Camry or Corolla lol.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I actually think the new Malibu is the best looking car in it's class by a wide margin. The Sonata is fresh but also gimmicky and awkward. The Malibu looks restrained but athletic to me...it has a way better interior as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I dunno what bland front end you're referring to..to me this looks pretty aggressive.

Obviously you all haven't seen a Camry or Corolla lol.

Yes, current generation Toyotas do set the bar low, but what I see when I look at that photo is a car which could have been on the road two years ago, and now will blend in all-too-well. One test we used in developing vehicles at one of the domestics was the "tension" level. If a car was readily accepted during pre-launch testing, we understood that it was already "old". It needed to generate some level of discomfort to reach the target of being breakthrough by the time it launched.

Accordingly, I realize some of you still consider the Sonata over the top, following the trend of the CLS, also copied by the VW CC, but it has generally been well accepted, is setting sales records, and garnering top honors. By default, Sonata sets that next level of design in the D segment and raises the bar for making visual impact, regardless if you actually like it or not. The same is happening with Elantra, but NOT with Cruze! I can tell you that industry designers are looking at Hyundai for their design leadership, not Chevy! More conventional designs, such as the above red Malibu, are relegated to garnering little attention for its appearance, other than pushing the envelope a bit more in the rear appearance. However, I repeat, it's still a very competent and well engineered automobile.

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-22-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do agree with most of what you're saying, what I don't agree with is that styling must break boundaries to be considered good.

So yes, the Sonata may be a more visually interesting design, but while it has a lot of exaggerated details that give it that WOW factor, it's proportionally awkward. Don't get me wrong..I think both are attractive designs, I just prefer the taught, athletic look of the Malibu to the bulgy and cartoony Sonata.

Fwiw, I think the Elantra is more attractive than the Sonata and absolutely kills the Chevy Cruze in appearance.

Last edited by C300Kid; 04-22-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I do agree with most of what you're saying, what I don't agree with is that styling must break boundaries to be considered good.

So yes, the Sonata may be a more visually interesting design, but while it has a lot of exaggerated details that give it that WOW factor, it's proportionally awkward.

Don't get me wrong..I think both are attractive designs, I just prefer the taught, athletic look of the Malibu to the bulgy and cartoony Sonata.

Fwiw, I think the Elantra is more attractive than the Sonata and absolutely kills the Chevy Cruze in appearance.
These chats are very interesting...not many around here know enough or are interested enough to participate!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These chats are very interesting...not many around here know enough or are interested enough to participate!
I'm always interested in discussing cars with anyone willing
Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I actually think the new Malibu is the best looking car in it's class by a wide margin. The Sonata is fresh but also gimmicky and awkward. The Malibu looks restrained but athletic to me...it has a way better interior as well.
I agree with this! The Sonata is a nice design, but IMO it's a Mix of two things: Dull proportions, and super funky/stylized lines, it makes it a bit awkward and too "funny" for me to want to drive. The Malibu appears more stately, strong, handsome and of a timeless design. The Sonata IMO will look tired sooner than the more understated Malibu.

I understand and also somewhat agree with you as well Sportstick, and you make some good points, but IMO some of the best designs just look GOOD, and don't necessarily break boundaries. Most of the time a "boundary breaking" design looks over-tried/desperate, and un-relaxed, and doesn't sit well with me, while most of the time, a well done, timeless approach looks great to me forever.

So yes, the Sonata may be a more visually interesting design, but while it has a lot of exaggerated details that give it that WOW factor, it's proportionally awkward. Don't get me wrong..I think both are attractive designs, I just prefer the taught, athletic look of the Malibu to the bulgy and cartoony Sonata.
Well said, and agreed.

I was looking into the Optima, for example, as there are some intriguing elements to it, but that weird and over-styled rear is a deal breaker. The Malibu in comparison will win a Design test over the Optima EVERY time to me, and much of that is because it keeps things simple and "classic", and doesn't give me the same eye sore as the Optima does in the rear 3/4 angle. I just couldn't drive a car with that awkward area to me.

Last edited by K-A; 04-23-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I like the Optima as well, but like you, I hate the gimmicks. The c-pillar and stupid fender vents are both unnecessary.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE

Here's a three year old Buick LaCrosse. Note the similar front wheel spindle to A Pillar touchdown proportion, wrapover hood dropping into the fenders, very similar headlamp treatment, lower grille/foglamp array, and generally similar upper grille, other than texture. That was 3 years ago. I agree some classics are timeless. I just don't think this is one of those, and they need to keep moving forward.

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-23-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still think the Lacrosse is a very nice looking car..and the new Malibu is based heavily on it so it's understandable that they share basic proportions.

Look at the Ford Fusion..aside from a flashy front end, that thing has no style to it whatsoever. Its very vanilla and also very dated. Still sells extremely well based on other strengths.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I still think the Lacrosse is a very nice looking car..and the new Malibu is based heavily on it so it's understandable that they share basic proportions.

Look at the Ford Fusion..aside from a flashy front end, that thing has no style to it whatsoever. Its very vanilla and also very dated. Still sells extremely well based on other strengths.
Yes...nice, but nice three years ago!!

But, you raise another interesting and valid point, and which may explain GM's action. There are many psychographic segments in the US market (we identified 13 at my prior employer), and Chevy is clearly going for mainstream volume in a market where Vanilla outsells Triple Chocolate Fudge Chunk Caramel Swirl (hey, that sounds good!) many times over. But, in their desire to offend almost no one and get volume they desperately need, they have safely (they believe) aimed right at the middle of the market...."nice", but not at all provocative. That Malibu would look "socially acceptable" in anyone's driveway. But that leaves us with how to explain the astronomical sales success of Sonata.

My problem with the Malibu strategy is that, back in 1986, Ford pretty well proved the old adage, "You can sell an old man a young man's car, but not the reverse" with the launch of the original Taurus...radical at the time...lots of criticism about "melted bar of soap", while some thought it was the new Audi 5000. The volume success was huge. Ford took a risk back then, and won big. They are probably, along with Hyundai, going to push the envelope again with the new Mondeo-based Fusion coming soon. I just am concerned (as an interested party) that GM may have missed an opportunity.

In terms of shared platforms, check out the new Chrysler 300C and Dodge Charger...not for personal opinions of quality, etc., but for the degree of uniqueness for two vehicles developed and built from a common platform. Or, line up a Buick Regal and Saab 93...Grand Cherokee and MB M Class...same platform...very unique appearances, again, regardless if we each like or dislike one or the other. Malibu just screams to me "another nice GM car I've seen before", other than the rear, for which I compliment them.

Come to think of it, an ad manager at Ford or Chrysler could recreate an old commercial and show a befuddled Buick owner trying to unlock the new Malibu, certain it was his car...remember when they pulled that with downsized Cadillac, Olds, and Buick getting confused at a valet? That was a very sharp ad! This message could cut two ways...the new Chevy looks like a 3 year old "old guy's car", and the Buick no longer looks noticeably upscale compared to a lowly Chevy!!

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-23-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Pay attention

Originally Posted by vukinator32
im sitting here wondering why not too many people are curious about the new tail lights? Could we get pictures of the lights in park and when the brakes are being pressed? I'm guessing the tail lights wont be a direct swap into a 2008-2010 model? I want those lights lol and i will do anything to make it work !!
Go back and read post #32.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I like the Optima as well, but like you, I hate the gimmicks. The c-pillar and stupid fender vents are both unnecessary.
Agreed, that C-Pillar is a deal breaker to me. Absolutely horrendous, I just would be embarrassed walking up to it due to that thing. That's how much "off putting" funky elements.... well.... put me off.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think that similar C pillar ruins the otherwise near perfect Jaguar XJ as well.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I agree, although the XJ's is more due to that awkward black out panel. I think the XJ's length allows what would be an all around totally awkward C-Pillar, to look a bit more natural than the cluster-frak that is the Optima's.

It's unfortunate as the Optima looks like a fun car for its price and Class, however that C-Pillar/boot relationship is just bad.

What's really interesting is how far the Econ-Midsize segment has come, which is a great thing for car enthusiasts and general car shoppers alike.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C220 T W204
congrats for the new car, it's looking very good. I'm from Romania too , and I wonder how much did you pay for it. I saw you have the basic (standard) lights package with no LEDs. This is not yet available in Romania?

Another question, what's the use of the 2 pairs of fog lamps?

Thanks