C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Definitely a bad way to start a Saturday.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I would proceed differently. You should have provided all the particulars to your insurance company identifying the offending vehicle, not VONS directly. Liability appears to already be clearly established and your insurance company will take the proper actions with Von's carrier to recover costs, properly leaving you without a chargeable accident on your record. Your damages will also already be documented through your recorded presence, damage to your property, and expert estimates for repair. Whether there is a basis for a criminal charge against the driver should not change your outcome, as you already have the clear grounds for full compensation, not having even struck another vehicle, but having been drenched in their fuel as the result of their negligence (a civil, not criminal, issue).
That all sounds just fine but...

My insurance company doesn't need to know about anything that isn't going to cost them money beyond a courtesy call as required by my policy because it's an entry into my record that may or may not be used against me in the future.

And for them it's all paperwork and just another claim so there is little motivation to expedite anything. I could relate a tale of woe illustrating this which happened to a friend last year where she was entirely blameless but because her company's adjuster "was busy" just submitted the whole mess to an arbitrator who took the easy way out and decided it was shared responsibilty (absolutely false) which cost her the deductible plus she now has a "note" in her file.

So, I have always dealt with the other insurer myself although it's clear many can't do that because they don't know how.

In this case, I sure hope your company isn't Geico or Progressive.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RLE
That all sounds just fine but...

My insurance company doesn't need to know about anything that isn't going to cost them money beyond a courtesy call as required by my policy because it's an entry into my record that may or may not be used against me in the future.

And for them it's all paperwork and just another claim so there is little motivation to expedite anything. I could relate a tale of woe illustrating this which happened to a friend last year where she was entirely blameless but because her company's adjuster "was busy" just submitted the whole mess to an arbitrator who took the easy way out and decided it was shared responsibilty (absolutely false) which cost her the deductible plus she now has a "note" in her file.

So, I have always dealt with the other insurer myself although it's clear many can't do that because they don't know how.

In this case, I sure hope your company isn't Geico or Progressive.
A couple of points...

This will vary by state, as in no-fault states, one's repairs are paid by their own insurance company, who then recovers from the other party's carrier. Due to the need for insurance companies to cooperate with each other, I suspect the case is handled more expeditiously between companies rather than one when approached by an individual. I don't know how your state or the OP's operates on this point. But, unless you can float the cost of repair, pending reimbursement, going around your own company in a no-fault state can certainly add delay.

Adjusters and agents are measured on how quickly they close cases, so there is an incentive to proceed. I don't know what happened in your friend's case, but I would agree quality of service does vary. I recommend Chubb, based on having received outstanding customer service.

Further, part of the policy premium cost is for those who provide service. So, depending on how much free time one does or does not have, there is value in allowing your agent to take the lead, again, if you have selected one who provides good service.

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-25-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
So I just got the car back. I was excited but upon going through my intense/ocd inspection, I found that they for some reason, screwed the bumper on for the passenger's side....cracking the paint on the quarter panel and throwing the fitment off.. bittersweet I guess. The shop is offering to have it fixed in the next 3 hours.. Gonna be a long 3 hours :/
Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
hey at least you got your car back now, thats always good news
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
So I'm back in Irvine with my car. I gotta say, the repairs did not come out as expected at all. They couldn't really do much to fix it at that point either, so I ended up just bringing it back. I'm not gonna list any of the flaws out (unless you absolutely want me to >_>) as that shop isn't really that bad of a shop in the first place. They fixed my friend's 06 Honda Accord quite well. But yeah, my repairs were soooo far off from Mercedes standards that literally, my heart and gut sank about 3 times today, and there were quite a few other bits that really ticked me off. I'll probably get in touch with insurance again and see if I can get my car transferred to a proper body shop or dealership to get my car fixed again properly.

I think from this day on, I'm done with car modding. Seeing as this whole accident in the first place was caused by it, I think that was already a bad sign.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
I woulda taken it directly to the dealership if its covered, or at least a shop that specializes in euros only Now it's just more headache to deal with; hopefully you're able to straighten it out with the insurance, or at least the shop that did the shoddy work.