C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire Press. Monitor Inoperative (message)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Tire Press. Monitor Inoperative (message)

I recently began seeing the message on my speedo screen saying, "Tire Press. Monitor Inoperative". It is intermittent. I have been to the dealer once about this, and they can't find anything wrong. It is not a problem with pressures, but obviously either a problem with one of the senders or the receiver. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 AM

2008 C300 Sport 6M
I had this issue too for quite a while. It was especially annoying because even when I would clear the message the tire pressure indicator stayed illuminated. I checked the pressures and then of course as soon as I made an appointment with the dealership, the problem just went away.

Can't help you but I feel your annoyance.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 AM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by maverickvii
I had this issue too for quite a while. It was especially annoying because even when I would clear the message the tire pressure indicator stayed illuminated. I checked the pressures and then of course as soon as I made an appointment with the dealership, the problem just went away.

Can't help you but I feel your annoyance.
I got a call from the dealer. There is a MB technical bulletin on this. The dealer is replacing a wiring harness in the trunk area. Apparently there is a grounding problem. I'll let everyone know if this works.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had this problem - one of the sensors had fallen off into the wheel.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC™ Sedan
Originally Posted by nyca
Me too... did search in eBay,saw $55 something tpms as same as mercedes tpms! Doesn't it fit?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC™ Sedan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_675wt_948
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Just order one from Tire Rack I know they work from there I have two sets.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 AM

2008 C350
Angry follow-up on the problem

Replacing the wiring harness didn't help. Then they replaced the TPM receiver somewhere behind the dash. That didn't help.

I suppose they will now replace the sending units in the wheels, which probably would have been the simplest, cheapest thing to do in the first place.

Oh well...
Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by nyca
Must have been something else because as long as the sensor is inside the tire, it's still reading the pressure.

This happened to my car when it was new and the dealer installed my Bridgestone tires and the "tech" broke the sensor off with the tire mounting machine. It was clunking around in there for a week or so causing balance problems but no warning lights.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 PM

2008 C350
these people are idiots...

Originally Posted by tunafish
Replacing the wiring harness didn't help. Then they replaced the TPM receiver somewhere behind the dash. That didn't help.

I suppose they will now replace the sending units in the wheels, which probably would have been the simplest, cheapest thing to do in the first place.

Oh well...
So, now they are telling me that the aftermarket backup camera I installed (see cyclops thread) is causing the TPM to fail. Despite the fact that the TPM worked fine for the 1st 7 weeks I had the camera. And the fact that a zillion people have done this camera install and no one has a problem with TPM.

This isn't just local service people... the MB tech gurus are telling the local techs this. They don't know what they are doing, so they fall back on the lamest excuse possible.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM

2008 C350
Red face I owe MB Techs an apology

So, now they are telling me that the aftermarket backup camera I installed (see cyclops thread) is causing the TPM to fail. Despite the fact that the TPM worked fine for the 1st 7 weeks I had the camera. And the fact that a zillion people have done this camera install and no one has a problem with TPM.

This isn't just local service people... the MB tech gurus are telling the local techs this. They don't know what they are doing, so they fall back on the lamest excuse possible.
Well, they were right after all. The backup camera was causing the TPM to fail. There were actually 2 problems (I think). The guy that installed the camera did not use a continuous shielded cable from the FAKRA connector to the camera. He cut and soldered the cable, leaving a break in the shield. This allowed RF noise from the TV scan to leak out and interfere with the TPM. The problem did not show up as long as the camera was only powered on when the car was in reverse, but I had the camera rewired to be on whenever the ignition was on to avoid a synch problem. This caused the RF interference to be present whenever the car was running. When we disconnected the camera system, the TPM problem went away. My apologies to MB.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM

2008 C300 Sport 6M
Wow as you were posting I totally agreed with you that the camera was a lame excuse by MB. Insane that it ended up being the actual problem. Are you going to end up adjusting the camera system to be usable?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by maverickvii
Wow as you were posting I totally agreed with you that the camera was a lame excuse by MB. Insane that it ended up being the actual problem. Are you going to end up adjusting the camera system to be usable?
Not right away. If I do, I will replace the entire cable with a fully shielded one, and set the camera to be powered by the backup lights again.

I may wait until the warranty runs out, given that the dealer spent a week diagnosing the problem and didn't charge me anything.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Not right away. If I do, I will replace the entire cable with a fully shielded one, and set the camera to be powered by the backup lights again.

I may wait until the warranty runs out, given that the dealer spent a week diagnosing the problem and didn't charge me anything.
My backup camera, installed by me following the directions, has been working for three years with no problems.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by RLE
My backup camera, installed by me following the directions, has been working for three years with no problems.
I'm not surprised that most people do not have any problems. I made 2 mistakes; 1) leaving a break in the shielded wire carrying the video signal which allowed RF to escape, and 2) wiring the camera so that it was powered all the time the car was on. My problem was likely due to this combination of mistakes. If the camera is only on during the few seconds you are in reverse, it is unlikely to produce interference long enough to cause a TPM fault. If I had used a continuously shielded cable, it probably wouldn't have mattered.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 AM

2008 C300 w204
My car has this problem and I just got it a week ago. I have a bubble on 1 tire and I'm still waiting on the dealership to order a new one for me so I was kinda hoping that was causing the problem.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
i had the TMPS inoperative warning issue too, the dealer blamed it on my 22's which have been mounted for almost 2 years prior. they said the valve stem does not stick out enough and it's causing the problem. which really does not matter becuse the sensor is on the back side if the valve stem? the light came for about a week, i took it to the dealer, they cleared the warning. and said if i put my factory 20's back on it won't have the warning come up anymore. it came on for 2 days after i left the dealer, then went off and has not come back on for 8 months now. I think it was just a glitch?