C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

COMAND APS Online and iPhone data tethering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
COMAND APS Online and iPhone data tethering

Does anyone know what's happening with regards to the COMAND APS Online system and being able to access the internet through your mobile phone? Last I heard it's still not iPhone 4 compatible I don't wanna buy an Android just for this!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:32 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Found this link : http://telematicsnews.info/2011/01/1...enshots_j2131/

Comments indicate it's a known issue.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
COMAND Online is not compatible with iPhone 4 running latest iOS updates for internet access or sms access. This is consistent with MB's own website > http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/..._passenger.php

Note that automatic phone book synchronisation, recent call list, voice dial, etc... does work though.

Dealer has said this will be fixed soon but I'm starting to doubt whether it will- from what I've heard the Bluetooth support in iOS5 offers a few new features (e.g. ID3 tag streaming over Bluetooth audio) but it does not feature DUN (see comments below).

COMAND Online is not compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S II. It can do everything the iPhone can do, as well as read out your SMS in the text to speech, but it cannot connect to the internet. After digging a bit deeper, it turns out the COMAND Online system requires the Bluetooth phone to support the Dial-Up Networking bluetooth protocol ('DUN') which is NOT featured in many handsets nowadays (and is not in every Android handset as evidenced by my testing above).
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Can 2008 w204 upgrade to this feature?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by WingNoiR
Can 2008 w204 upgrade to this feature?
Not too sure but if anyone would know, check out https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...nd-online.html and http://www.comandonline.co.uk/help.p...us&mode=update
Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

2012 C300 4Matic Sport
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/27/m...eady-to-fight/
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I wonder if an iPhone would be able to pair up with Comand if it were jailbroken?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
I wonder if an iPhone would be able to pair up with Comand if it were jailbroken?
No it does not pair up. My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and I thought that it would work but still unable to pair up for file transfer. I tried it with a jailbroken app called Celeste Bluetooth File Share.

Last edited by ICON 1; 07-30-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:07 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by ICON 1
No it does not pair up. My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and I thought that it would work but still unable to pair up for file transfer. I tried it with a jailbroken app called Celeste Bluetooth File Share.
Pity that PDAnet (the app for Android OS) which enables DUN is rather limited on iPhone (i.e. it doesn't support DUN).

To anyone who's used the COMAND Online system, I think speed and protocols for connectivity are more important than apps right now. It took forever to load anything when I finally got it working.

For those who are interested, I used an old Nokia E51. Here are some screenshots:

Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 PM

GLE 300d (v167)
Sorry should've posted this URL for the retrofitting COMAND systems into older Benz models > http://www.comandonline.co.uk/Comand-Retrofit/

That being said I still don't reckon latest COMAND is that much better (i.e. the internet functionality is rubbish).
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by JaCe88
Sorry should've posted this URL for the retrofitting COMAND systems into older Benz models > http://www.comandonline.co.uk/Comand-Retrofit/

That being said I still don't reckon latest COMAND is that much better (i.e. the internet functionality is rubbish).
Yes Internet is of no use. I bought the new C. 2011 face-lift with COMAND APS online. Will check the internet function with iphone on this Thursday when my car will be delivered to me. In my opinion its good for nothing. I mean who would want to use internet on car when you have iphone with such great apps. Only reason I might want to use internet on car would be weather. lol

There were other features that were of interest to me. Like Album art is now available for the songs if the information is present in the music file and improved navigation.

Rest I dont know yet since I didn't really check so much at the time of the order.

P.S I was happy with my older COMAND 2008 Model C.

Last edited by lx Raven xl; 08-02-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
Yes Internet is of no use. I bought the new C. 2011 face-lift with COMAND APS online. Will check the internet function with iphone on this Thursday when my car will be delivered to me. In my opinion its good for nothing. I mean who would want to use internet on car when you have iphone with such great apps. Only reason I might want to use internet on car would be weather. lol

There were other features that were of interest to me. Like Album art is now available for the songs if the information is present in the music file and improved navigation.

Rest I dont know yet since I didn't really check so much at the time of the order.

P.S I was happy with my older COMAND 2008 Model C.
Agreed with your POV. I really like the fact it can display album art off both iPod and USB, show Chinese text, as well as show the track name (including Chinese text) on the instrment cluster. Other features such as photo browser off the SD card aren't that useful (and are a bit clumsy to use), and like you mentioned, why would you want the internet function if you have an iPhone which has a MUCH FASTER browser.

Only thing which I care about is being able to send Google Maps routes into my car's GPS using the internet. That's pretty cool IMO.

ps. Tempted to get an Android device for a work phone since the SGS2 is supported for SMS reading!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Ah Man I cant get it to work since my iphone has Network tethering disabled by the carrier T-Mobile ( Netherlands )

So no internet in my car. Will check if i can get it enabled. I hope the cost is low if i get it enabled.

Car is awesome. I love it.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 AM

2011 C 200 T CDI BlueEFFICIENCY man 17" R48
I'm confused. Will or will internet not work with an iPhone?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by Tekker
No it will not work (as at August 12th 2011 with an iPhone 4 running iOS4.3).

The only iPhone compatible features will be phone calls and telephone book/redial list synchronisation.

i.e. SMS and internet features are not compatible with the iPhone.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tekker
Just an extra note for others:

It also will not work if your Carrier has disabled this tethering option for you. For my country T-Mobile does not allow the Phone to be used as a modem for sharing internet connection ( Network Tethering ). For some countries like US you might be able to find a Phone package with Network Tethering available. Of course if you want to buy a new phone then select the phone from the list what MB recommends.

Its sucks but Oh will I will check which carrier does allow it or provides such a deal in Amsterdam.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
Just an extra note for others:

It also will not work if your Carrier has disabled this tethering option for you. For my country T-Mobile does not allow the Phone to be used as a modem for sharing internet connection ( Network Tethering ). For some countries like US you might be able to find a Phone package with Network Tethering available. Of course if you want to buy a new phone then select the phone from the list what MB recommends.

Its sucks but Oh will I will check which carrier does allow it or provides such a deal in Amsterdam.
I found a lot of older phones worked (because they support the Bluetooth DUN profile) such as the Nokia E51. I recommend you guys try it out first to see if you think it's worthwhile because in all honesty, the features are pretty lousy and are incredibly slow. I did like the Google Maps integration (e.g. I could search for McDonalds and it automatically located and showed me the nearest ones on COMAND and then chucked it into the destination) but the other features are faster elsewhere (e.g. Weather is faster on iPhone's native app, and web browsing is close to impossible on the COMAND).
Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by JaCe88
I found a lot of older phones worked (because they support the Bluetooth DUN profile) such as the Nokia E51. I recommend you guys try it out first to see if you think it's worthwhile because in all honesty, the features are pretty lousy and are incredibly slow. I did like the Google Maps integration (e.g. I could search for McDonalds and it automatically located and showed me the nearest ones on COMAND and then chucked it into the destination) but the other features are faster elsewhere (e.g. Weather is faster on iPhone's native app, and web browsing is close to impossible on the COMAND).
Yah I agree. My current phone plan for 3Gs is going to be over soon so I will be looking for a new deal anyway. In any case if I cant find a decent simple deal I wont be bothered with it.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:41 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
I say try and find an old phone which it works with and you'll be surprised how not useful it is.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Lexus ES300 2004, E300 2012
I hope it will be working with IOS 5 in case Blutooth DUN is included on it.

for more, pls check:
http://telematicsnews.info/2011/08/2...online_ag2223/
Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Good find- I wonder how existing COMAND APS Online customers will be looked after. Either way, it was time for a new company phone so I selected the Blackbery Bold 9900 (9930 in the US?) which supports DUN so that should do the trick, and I'll keep my iPhone4 for personal use.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
The LOL factor is other than when I first tried using the Blackberry Bold for DUN internet access, I haven't used it since and have successfully proven this feature is a bit of a useless gimmick. I'm sure it'll come in handy one day though... right?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM

2013 E220
iPhone and COMAND Data DUN Error

Just taken delivery of my new 2013 E220 (first MB btw ) and read a lot about the iPhone and data connection issues. However I can get it to work without the need for DUN / Jail Breaking or such.

I found that if you connect the iPhone (in my case iPhone 5 - iOS 6.1.3) to the car via Bluetooth as normal for phone and music then switch on the Apple Personal Hotspot from the settings menu on the phone the COMAND system picks up a data connection and works

I can now use the browser and apps perfectly and the speed isn't too bad either.

I hope this helps someone out trying to use all the features without the DUN error.

On a side note I would like to find out what version of the COMAND system I have as I cannot locate the version number anywhere??
Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM

C300 2013 4Matic, Sp, Prm, Nav, Drv
Originally Posted by alexharvey
Just taken delivery of my new 2013 E220 (first MB btw ) and read a lot about the iPhone and data connection issues. However I can get it to work without the need for DUN / Jail Breaking or such.

I found that if you connect the iPhone (in my case iPhone 5 - iOS 6.1.3) to the car via Bluetooth as normal for phone and music then switch on the Apple Personal Hotspot from the settings menu on the phone the COMAND system picks up a data connection and works

I can now use the browser and apps perfectly and the speed isn't too bad either.

I hope this helps someone out trying to use all the features without the DUN error.

On a side note I would like to find out what version of the COMAND system I have as I cannot locate the version number anywhere??
tried enabeling the personal hotspot but still not working...
is there any setting to modify in the command? I have a C300 2013...
Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
I was able to enable Browser through the engineering mode, but cannot get online using my iPhone 6 as a hotspot, as I have to select the country and the provider first in browser settings. I cannot find the USA in the list of countries.

I tried to setup the provider manually but don't know what to type in for AT&T.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: COMAND APS Online and iPhone data tethering