C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 Wiper Judder and Other Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W204
W204 Wiper Judder and Other Issues

Hi All,

I know this subject has been done many time before, but the problem is driving me crazy!

My vehicle has now been seen by the dealer 5 times for this problem, the first 2 times I was told no fault could be found, the third and fourth times the arms were adjusted and blades replaced. The fifth time it went to a different dealer and the blades were replaced again (reason was the rubber was twisted?). Anyway, i'm sort of sick of returning to the dealership and coming out where I started.

Has anyone found a definative way forward on this one? Have MB actually admitted this as a fault? As usual im being told they know nothing about it. I've made sure the screen is sparkling clean, and the blades are only 2 weeks old - and they still judder. Its the driver side thats the problem. Previous to the current set of blades being fitted I stopped the wiper halfway through its cycle and it was clear the blade had only half flipped over.

I have two other minor issues, but equally annying. There is a fairly intrusive crack / creak coming from the roof console over even small road imperfections and I have an odd whistling noise coming from my climate control system, but only at certain fan speeds...almost like there is a label or something jammed somewhere. These issues were also highlighted ages ago, but the dealer hasnt managed to fix them yet.

Generally I feel the quality of the interior is a bit poor, seems to creak around a fair bit...certainly more than my old E39!

It would be great to hear from other people with similar issues / experience.

PS - For info car is a C220 CDi Sport with 18" Wheels = very rough ride!!

Cheers
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by Andy525
Hi All,

I know this subject has been done many time before, but the problem is driving me crazy!

My vehicle has now been seen by the dealer 5 times for this problem, the first 2 times I was told no fault could be found, the third and fourth times the arms were adjusted and blades replaced. The fifth time it went to a different dealer and the blades were replaced again (reason was the rubber was twisted?). Anyway, i'm sort of sick of returning to the dealership and coming out where I started.

Has anyone found a definative way forward on this one? Have MB actually admitted this as a fault? As usual im being told they know nothing about it. I've made sure the screen is sparkling clean, and the blades are only 2 weeks old - and they still judder. Its the driver side thats the problem. Previous to the current set of blades being fitted I stopped the wiper halfway through its cycle and it was clear the blade had only half flipped over.

I have two other minor issues, but equally annying. There is a fairly intrusive crack / creak coming from the roof console over even small road imperfections and I have an odd whistling noise coming from my climate control system, but only at certain fan speeds...almost like there is a label or something jammed somewhere. These issues were also highlighted ages ago, but the dealer hasnt managed to fix them yet.

Generally I feel the quality of the interior is a bit poor, seems to creak around a fair bit...certainly more than my old E39!

It would be great to hear from other people with similar issues / experience.

PS - For info car is a C220 CDi Sport with 18" Wheels = very rough ride!!

Cheers
Andy,

Try a few tips from these posts re wipers. . May help.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ld-wipers.html

Keep persisting with the dealer. Take the mechanic out for a ride so you can point out the defects first hand.You have a problem . Don't take " I can't fix" as an answer.

My 16" wheels give a reasonably complient ride. Maybe the rough ride worsens the body creaks/movement.

Good luck . Let us know how you go.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
As far as your wipers being choppy goes, when you wash your car, do you bring it to a place or do you do it yourself? If you bring it to a place its because tehy soap and wax the windshield - which will cause choppiness, and if you wash it yourself and use the detergent ont he windscreen - you have the same issue.

The solution, clean the windshield and wiper blades very well. I like the rain-x in the aerosol spray can (works the best) but also rubbing alcohol works well too.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Removing schmutz

Originally Posted by jctevere
As far as your wipers being choppy goes, when you wash your car, do you bring it to a place or do you do it yourself? If you bring it to a place its because tehy soap and wax the windshield - which will cause choppiness, and if you wash it yourself and use the detergent ont he windscreen - you have the same issue.

The solution, clean the windshield and wiper blades very well. I like the rain-x in the aerosol spray can (works the best) but also rubbing alcohol works well too.
Here's what will clean it.

Buy some paint cleaning clay along with the required lubricant. I use Griot's (www.Griotsgarage.com) clay and their Speedshine, a detailing spray, for lubricant. Form the clay into a patty and after spraying the glass liberally, rub the clay across the entire windshield surface which will remove all the stuff you haven't been able to get off which is probably causing the juddering. Remove the resulting haze with a wet cloth and the glass will look like new.

I did this just yesterday.

After the glass is clean, you can clay the rest of the car.