C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need opinion on wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Salute!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Salute!
The best part is that we really got into the issue, challenged each other, never offered up a mean spirited name nor insult, found common ground, and finished the chat smiling. That's a good thread!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
This is why i love forums!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
id go with the 4th set....

Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Those taillights were ugly.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Jimmy is right, and it always goes back to the saying we are all familiar with...You get what you pay for right jimmy?

^+1000

u already know I agree Hotel LOL. But I guess we are the few with wheels around these parts. I personally would ride stocks for however long it takes to save up for the right set before I skimped out on wheels. I learned the hard way about being hot in the *** to hook up a ride and get sumthing just decent. A few weeks/later you are tryin to sell them to re-coop ur loss to get the ones u really wanted, Ive done it more than once. And sportstick I actually had a set of powerwheels reps on my clk and they were good quality wheels, I also had 2 sets from ebay that were brabus reps and amg reps and both got bent inner lips and outers from just potholes here in NJ. I know from seeing hotel post he waited til he had his ducks in a row and picked up a beuatiful set of vossens, he rode the car stock wheeled for a while, thats how its done my friends, wait til u get what u want not what u can afford at the moment.....
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM

C350 4matic Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
^+1000

u already know I agree Hotel LOL. But I guess we are the few with wheels around these parts. I personally would ride stocks for however long it takes to save up for the right set before I skimped out on wheels. I learned the hard way about being hot in the *** to hook up a ride and get sumthing just decent. A few weeks/later you are tryin to sell them to re-coop ur loss to get the ones u really wanted, Ive done it more than once. And sportstick I actually had a set of powerwheels reps on my clk and they were good quality wheels, I also had 2 sets from ebay that were brabus reps and amg reps and both got bent inner lips and outers from just potholes here in NJ. I know from seeing hotel post he waited til he had his ducks in a row and picked up a beuatiful set of vossens, he rode the car stock wheeled for a while, thats how its done my friends, wait til u get what u want not what u can afford at the moment.....
+1. I rode mine stock for 3 years before I got my HRE. So glad that I did it.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 W204 Sport
Originally Posted by jmayn
Those taillights were ugly.
Which ones?

Last edited by xXHotelCrazyXx; 08-10-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
^+1000

For some of us, it's not a matter of saving up, which I would not need to do if I really thought wheels with 4 digit prices were worth the price. I would just never spend that amount on wheels. I don't see it as "skimping"; I just don't see the value. I wanted good quality wheels, in a design I liked, somewhere in the hundreds of dollars, not thousands, and Powerwheelspro provides them, so the goal was achieved. My only real point to Hotel was not there are aren't a lot of poor quality cheap wheels, but price is not an absolute predictor and with careful shopping, good wheels can be found for reasonable prices, and that high prices are not a guarantee of good quality. The issue is the wheel, not the price tag.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
that is true sportstick, we see alot of that around here with people not shopping around and paying way too much for stuff. there is some good values out there, but if your looking for really well built LIGHT wheels, your gonna pay 4 digits all day long. Factory looking replicas are a big market w luxury cars especially european vehicles. My biggest peeve is these guys selling wheels on ebay for 400-500 bucks that arent even JWL certified and cheap alloys and finish quality. Being in the auto body biz for a number of years I cant tell u how many cars Ive seen come in with aftermarket wheels damaged due to poor quality, its pretty common and scary. Lots of people buy these cars for safety and use cheap tires and wheels too and it makes no sense to me
Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
that is true sportstick, we see alot of that around here with people not shopping around and paying way too much for stuff. there is some good values out there, but if your looking for really well built LIGHT wheels, your gonna pay 4 digits all day long. Factory looking replicas are a big market w luxury cars especially european vehicles. My biggest peeve is these guys selling wheels on ebay for 400-500 bucks that arent even JWL certified and cheap alloys and finish quality. Being in the auto body biz for a number of years I cant tell u how many cars Ive seen come in with aftermarket wheels damaged due to poor quality, its pretty common and scary. Lots of people buy these cars for safety and use cheap tires and wheels too and it makes no sense to me
You and I are certainly in agreement on the issue with tires, but the distribution channels are a lot clearer to know when you're getting quality vs. unknown and questionable aftermarket tires. Part of my problem with wheel pricing comes from when I used to sign off on the cost of buying wheels in the hundreds of thousands from suppliers for my vehicle programs. Having become familiar with actual material and production costs, versus the market positioning that establishes price, and the premiums tacked on for different finishes which don't cost anywhere near the price, it just galls me to lay out that much for wheels. Just can't do it!