C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

I Need Help!! SRS Malfunction!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by fani_l
Just off work to go home and car wont start

The battery is dead
I tried few times to start and it didn't work

Now I got two massages messages on dashboard

One is
SRS Malfunction
Second one is
ABS and ESC currently unavailable

Help anyone
I also got these errors when my battery was dying. Everytime it dies I try to restart it several times and these errors pops up each time. AFter a jump start it goes away. After replacing the battery at the dealer the errors went away completely. I was told these errors popped up because of the battery failure.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C250 4matic
Originally Posted by aznmode
I also got these errors when my battery was dying. Everytime it dies I try to restart it several times and these errors pops up each time. AFter a jump start it goes away. After replacing the battery at the dealer the errors went away completely. I was told these errors popped up because of the battery failure.
Thanks aznmode for reply
My brother just came and boosted it and no more alarms made it home

That was embarrassing

Could the OBDII drain the battery, I started using it a week ago.
I had no problem all winter with the battery car started with no problems even on -30 alberta weather
Plus this morning started with no problem
Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by fani_l
Thanks aznmode for reply
My brother just came and boosted it and no more alarms made it home

That was embarrassing

Could the OBDII drain the battery, I started using it a week ago.
I had no problem all winter with the battery car started with no problems even on -30 alberta weather
Plus this morning started with no problem
It is possible something is draining your battery. You can take it to the dealer and they can diagnose it for you. There's a way to try and figure it out yourself by pulling fuses to see if the drain stops. I forget the thread now though.

Or your battery could be due for replacement. It looks like we have the same model year (2010). Mine lasted about 2 more months from the first time it died after going to the car wash. It would still start every morning but if I turn it off and start it right after it wont start. It would only hold enough juice for 1 start. Eventually it needed a jump start every time. That's when I took it to the dealer. Battery lasted me almost 6 years.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:02 AM

Mercedes-Benz C350 2008 AMG Package
Originally Posted by dudeitsmattx
Started my car yesterday and it popped up on the display I have a left SRS Malfunction and service is required! What does this mean and can I fix it myself or do I really nees to take it in? Thank you..
Hi i had the SAME exact problem.. Took it to the dealership there was a problem with the driver side seat buckle they changed it and the problem was solved.. Apprentlt there is some kind of sensor in the seat buckle that making the sign pop.. All of it costed me 345$ Cad
Old 06-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet
Oh well my SRS light just went on, I can't wait to see what my problem is
I will let you know. Mercedes roadside is on the way
Old 06-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
Funny this thread popped up. My SRS malfunction service required message pops up every so often, but goes away....
Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
^^^^ MIne was intermittent also, and then a while back it decided to stay on. I scanned with DAS and the problem appears to be the driver's side buckle. I plugged in a new buckle and cleared the code, but the problem persisted. I guess I'll be taking it to a local Indy for a real diagnostic, as I'm not that savvy yet with DAS.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:37 PM

R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by Grip Grip
^^^^ MIne was intermittent also, and then a while back it decided to stay on. I scanned with DAS and the problem appears to be the driver's side buckle. I plugged in a new buckle and cleared the code, but the problem persisted. I guess I'll be taking it to a local Indy for a real diagnostic, as I'm not that savvy yet with DAS.
Thanks for the input. I'll get to the dealership eventually, but for now, I'll deal with it..
Old 06-08-2014, 04:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet
Srs problem

Originally Posted by theteeman
Oh well my SRS light just went on, I can't wait to see what my problem is
I will let you know. Mercedes roadside is on the way
Well my problem thankfully was a bad low battery, Mercedes put a new battery in and voila I'm off and running
Old 06-08-2014, 11:58 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
There has been an active recall on a defective seat belt buckle for the 2008 C-Class ever since late 2007... And it would be in everyone's best interest to look into the service records for their cars at any dealership. They should be able to tell you if your seat belt buckle is subject to the recall and if it has been taken car of or not.

With 2008s going on year 6, the presumption is it has been taken care of, but you can't say for sure until you contact your dealer.

You can go to the NHTSA website to enter your particular year/model to see whether it may be affected or not.

Report Receipt Date: OCT 03, 2007

NHTSA Campaign Number: 07V465000

Component(s): SEAT BELTS

All Products Associated with this Recall close

Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s): MERCEDES BENZ C-CLASS 2008

Details close
11 Associated Documents expand
Manufacturer: MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC.

SUMMARY:
CERTAIN VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH SOME OF THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION." THE REAR OUTBOARD SEAT BELTS DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE LAP-BELT LOCKABILITY REQUIREMENT WHICH ENABLES THE LAP BELT PORTION OF THE BELT TO BE LOCKED BY THE USER TO FACILITATE THE USE OF OLDER NON-LATCH DESIGN CHILD RESTRAINT DEVICES.

CONSEQUENCE:
UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, THIS SITUATION MAY CAUSE THE LOCKING MECHANISM NOT TO PERFORM AS REQUIRED BY THE STANDARD FOR USE WITH OLDER NON-LATCH CHILD RESTRAINTS.

REMEDY:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE ALL POTENTIALLY AFFECTED SEAT BELTS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 19, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.

NOTES:
MERCEDES-BENZ RECALL NO. 2007-100002. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Last edited by IGB; 06-08-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 PM

R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by IGB
There has been an active recall on a defective seat belt buckle for the 2008 C-Class ever since late 2007... And it would be in everyone's best interest to look into the service records for their cars at any dealership. They should be able to tell you if your seat belt buckle is subject to the recall and if it has been taken car of or not.

With 2008s going on year 6, the presumption is it has been taken care of, but you can't say for sure until you contact your dealer.

You can go to the NHTSA website to enter your particular year/model to see whether it may be affected or not.

Good info!

Update: I only get the SRS error message when I buckle my seat-belt.

If I don't use my seat-belt, no messages pop up.

Has to be the belt buckle.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
Add me the passenger SRS error list. It started intermittently, only when a passenger was onboard. Yesterday the error message stayed on solid. Car is in the shop. STAR diagnosed one of the airbag sensors and the two seatbelt sensors. The seatbelt codes cleared, so replaced the airbag sensor, but the SRS error persists. Next will replace the two seatbelt sensors (one of them costs over $400). All told this is going to run over $1k. Will post results when it's finally fixed.

Last edited by codeblue5007; 01-19-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
Following up on the passenger side SRS malfunction message. The indy auto shop diagnostics showed 3 error codes, two seat belt sensors and one of the sensors in the front left near the fog lights ($80, plus labor - see the picture). The front sensor was replaced first, by removing the wheel and the fender well. The seat belt error codes did not clear however, so the next step was to remove the passenger seat and replace the belt buckle or belt lock ($83). That did it. The fault was not even in the locking mechanism: it was in the flaky cable connection right at the buckle. I have no idea how that connection got worn. The previous owner might have bent it, or moved the seat back and forth too many times. Total labor was $499. If I'd known what was wrong I would have fixed it myself.

I'm wondering why that front sensor went. My mechanic believes that scraping the bumper on one of those cursed concrete stops they have in parking spaces may have been the cause.

In conclusion, it seems you have to be very careful with these cars. There are sensors everywhere, several behind the front bumper, of course, but even in the center console area. Don't spill any drinks.
Attached Thumbnails I Need Help!! SRS Malfunction!-buckle.jpg   I Need Help!! SRS Malfunction!-closeup-buckle.jpg   I Need Help!! SRS Malfunction!-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by codeblue5007; 01-22-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: pics
Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM

ML350
A week ago the system completely shot down, was loudly beeping, SRS message 'Restraining System Malfunction' and then in red 'take to shop without changing gears'. Would not start and I was left stranded in a no parking zone. It didn't give me any warning signs whatsoever. The local shop sent a tow truck and he pulled some fuses from the panel in the trunk and discovered that the wipers fuse is causing it. Left it pulled off and told me to drive to the dealer. Of course the front wipers were not working. Dealer ran diagnostics for 3 days and said they don't know what's wrong with it. Eventually they said they need to change electric ingnition switch but that's not going to solve the problem and they will continue searching. They want to charge me $1,500 for change the ignition switch. I read that if it's the ignition switch failure you get some warning signals. I'm thinking they want to rip me off. But again, they said it's not solving the problem that they can't seem to figure out. For me it looks like some electric shortage in wipers fuse.
What should I do? Any suggestions are truly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:45 AM

ML350
I'm sorry I didn't say that it's 2011 ML350.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:28 PM

2011 ML350
Did you get any answers to what caused that? I just had the same thing happen in front of my sons daycare!
Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM

2011 ML350
Originally Posted by Gooddaynyc
A week ago the system completely shot down, was loudly beeping, SRS message 'Restraining System Malfunction' and then in red 'take to shop without changing gears'. Would not start and I was left stranded in a no parking zone. It didn't give me any warning signs whatsoever. The local shop sent a tow truck and he pulled some fuses from the panel in the trunk and discovered that the wipers fuse is causing it. Left it pulled off and told me to drive to the dealer. Of course the front wipers were not working. Dealer ran diagnostics for 3 days and said they don't know what's wrong with it. Eventually they said they need to change electric ingnition switch but that's not going to solve the problem and they will continue searching. They want to charge me $1,500 for change the ignition switch. I read that if it's the ignition switch failure you get some warning signals. I'm thinking they want to rip me off. But again, they said it's not solving the problem that they can't seem to figure out. For me it looks like some electric shortage in wipers fuse.
Thank you.

SAME ISSUE... what happened?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 PM

ML350
They said it must have gotten wet. Which is not true since how can you get it wet? They just didn't know what to say. After I did my research I noticed it happens to many MB owners. It is most likely a defect and should be declared a recall. Until it does, we have no other choice but to have it fixed at our own expense.
However, after they replaced the switch, another electrical message came up about blind spot assistant being inoperative. Another $1,700 ($850 for each) I was fed up with them and took it to Meecedes HQ. My car is 4 yo but has over 50K miles so is no longer under warranty. After speaking to 5+ Managers they agreed to pay half of the blind spot assistant sensors.
The whole ordeal cost me $2,500 due to no fault of my own. It's definitely factory defect that makes the electric sensors and switches burn out. Not all of us get them wet...
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 PM

08' C300
Just want to share my experience in case anyone else has it. It turns out it was my battery was dead that triggered the "SRS Malfunction" message in my dashboard. I called GEICO to jump start it and drove it to Autozone to get a new battery. They tested the battery, and diagnostic says "Bad battery."
Old 12-06-2021, 02:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C230 Sports ,Old 1997 C280
I got the same error car will not start ,I also called Geico and they jump started the car and told me my battery needs replacing , Vendor who came on behalf of Geico gave me a good deal on a Optima red top battery and installed it ,all I paid for was for the battery.
Car is running just fine and error is gone .
Like someone else said to start with battery

I know the thread is old but issue will happen to others

Old 05-06-2022, 09:47 AM

ML350 C300 GLE350
On my 2008 C300, I got the message "SRS Malfunction Service Required" and the car would not start. My daughter called with the issue and the next day, when I went to check on it, I did not see the msg and it did start but the starter felt like it was not getting enough juice to turn. My battery was 5.5yrs old. I replaced the battery (I did not bother to check the voltage. It seemed obvious to me that the battery was on its last leg).
Old 05-06-2022, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,188 Likes on 914 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
Originally Posted by mjavadi
On my 2008 C300, I got the message "SRS Malfunction Service Required" and the car would not start. My daughter called with the issue and the next day, when I went to check on it, I did not see the msg and it did start but the starter felt like it was not getting enough juice to turn. My battery was 5.5yrs old. I replaced the battery (I did not bother to check the voltage. It seemed obvious to me that the battery was on its last leg).
And....?
Old 05-08-2022, 09:16 PM

ML350 C300 GLE350
Originally Posted by JettaRed
And....?
And it must have been the battery. We have not seen the issue. It has been 3-4 days. The mechanic told me that the error we saw would not prevent the car from starting. For now, I am glad it was only the battery. The car is 13+ years old with about 110K miles. Not many miles but getting up there in age. This is the 2nd battery replacement which is not too bad.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
gl550
Originally Posted by Gooddaynyc
Thank you.
what is the fix please?