C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Windshield problems with W204?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Windshield problems with W204?

Greetings, all! I just bought a used 2008 c300 with 57K miles and now I notice how poor the visibility is through the windshield. It looks like someone sandblasted the glass, which is covered by approximately 4 billion micro-specks. The light diffracts in a distracting way in daylight, and at night the glare from oncoming cars' headlights is a real pain.

Compared to the '06 VW Jetta GLI I just sold with its 54K odometer, the MB's windshield is much, much worse. I think we have to replace it and I was wondering whether to ask the glass shop to install an OEM or aftermarket windshield.

Normally, I'd go OEM automatically, but I'm wondering if the MB glass might not be too soft. Could this possibly explain the terrible wear on the windshield? Of course, the previous owner might have made a habit of tailgating sanding trucks on the interstate!

Have any of you guys experienced premature glass specking (is that the word?) on your windshields that's worse than on your other cars? Any advice about how I should go about replacing the damn thing?

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by amazer98; 09-21-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport
Perhaps someone used something abrasive to clean the glass?

I've not found my '09 c300 windscreen to be too soft. My A4 was much worse.

B
Old 09-21-2011, 04:15 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by bnam
Perhaps someone used something abrasive to clean the glass?

I've not found my '09 c300 windscreen to be too soft. My A4 was much worse.

B
Well, that's good news to hear that your MB windshield is holding up.

My windshield's uniform specked damage without any scuff marks (which would indicate wiping with an abrasive) seem to point to riding the rear bumper of trucks and cars splashing winter road salt and sand.

I woinder if all windshields are basically the same hardness, and the degree of average damage from sand/salt depends on aerodynamic subtleties like the rake of the windshield. The c300 has a somewhat steeply angled windshield, which would imply the sand would glance off it with less impact than one that was more upright.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I would ask a few automotive glaziers for ther advice. They see them every day.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by amazer98
Greetings, all! I just bought a used 2008 c300 with 57K miles and now I notice how poor the visibility is through the windshield. It looks like someone sandblasted the glass, which is covered by approximately 4 billion micro-specks. The light diffracts in a distracting way in daylight, and at night the glare from oncoming cars' headlights is a real pain.

Compared to the '06 VW Jetta GLI I just sold with its 54K odometer, the MB's windshield is much, much worse. I think we have to replace it and I was wondering whether to ask the glass shop to install an OEM or aftermarket windshield.

Normally, I'd go OEM automatically, but I'm wondering if the MB glass might not be too soft. Could this possibly explain the terrible wear on the windshield? Of course, the previous owner might have made a habit of tailgating sanding trucks on the interstate!

Have any of you guys experienced premature glass specking (is that the word?) on your windshields that's worse than on your other cars? Any advice about how I should go about replacing the damn thing?

Thanks for your advice!
I have the exact same problem and I have a 2008 with only 25k miles!

Warranty issue?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 sport 4matic
Wow, I have a 2010 with 20k miles, and the other afternoon when the sun was low I was thinking how the windshield looks like my '93 Camry windshield looked after 130k+ miles and that I could barely see the road with all the pits and nicks reflecting the sunlight. Then I started thinking about whether I should call to see if insurance would cover the cost of a new windshield because the poor visibility was driving me nuts and I was concerned about safety. But then I decided I must just be crazy to think I might need a new windshield at 20k miles because if there was a problem with the MB windshields, I would have already read about it on MBWorld. So, thanks for confirming I am not crazy.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
If I played even a small role in helping you retain your grip on reality, then I am truly grateful.
Now that we are all in agreement that the W204 has a defective windshield, I propose that we launch a class action suit against the glass manufacturer, MB, and the entire dealer network. Fortuitously, I happen to be an attorney at Dewey, Cheetam and Howe who specializes in this area.
Please contact me for more details on how we can take these rascals to account and make a bundle of $$$ in the bargain.
I guess I'm the one that's crazy!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 PM

C300 4MATIC
I have a 2008 model with only 19K miles and it suffers the same problem. My other car, a 2010 Acura TSX has crystal clear glass. I am really tempted to change it but at the same time scared that the new one will have the same problem......
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM

C300
Aftermarket may interfere with the rain sensor.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Well, I called my insurance agent and she said there'd be no problem with my insurance company picking up the windshield replacement under my comprehensive. That's nice, since I've only been with this company for 3 months or so. I only had to pay the $250 deductible, which seemed more than fair to me.

So I made an appointment for this morning at Safelite, their "preferred partner." I asked the guy about how they installed the glass, since some posters on this and the other MB forum mentioned that quickset mastic was not comparable to dealer installs, which required 2-3 days of curing. The glass guy said they used a specific technique and fast-setting mastic that MB specified which was perfectly fine. For better or worse, I took him at his word.

When I picked up the car mid-afternoon, the windshiled looked great. It had the PPG logo and since we've had a light rain today, I could see that the rain sensor seemed to work fine. All, in all, it's been great so far-- a quality, clear windshield for a nice discount.

BTW, my agent said that periodic windshield replacements don't affect premiums... so that's also good news!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
What will MB do for us?

Originally Posted by Garry1104
I have a 2008 model with only 19K miles and it suffers the same problem. My other car, a 2010 Acura TSX has crystal clear glass. I am really tempted to change it but at the same time scared that the new one will have the same problem......
I am gonna take it to the dealer before warranty is up next month and see what they say... I always thought I had bad luck with rocks but it really is ridiculous and looks completely sandblasted and speckled.

Please report here if anybody hears from MB with a good resolution that doesn't require us paying out of pocket
Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Well, I called my insurance agent and she said there'd be no problem with my insurance company picking up the windshield replacement under my comprehensive.
That seems to be more of an east coast thing... No insurer out west will touch that with a 10 foot pole! Where as some insurers (back east again) have "zero deductible" coverage on a windshield!

I only had to pay the $250 deductible, which seemed more than fair to me.
Trust that the dollar amount the insurer paid out is less than $250. IIRC from the Safelite quote I got 6 or so months ago (I'll have to pull it and check) total out here in So Cal including the install, was a few $$ above $400.

Still, a great deal with little hassle! Good for you

I wonder if there is a difference between the OEM PPG glass made to MB's specs versus the aftermarket PPG glass made to MB's specs!!! And as such, it'll be interesting to see how many miles you'll put on before you start noticing specking (if that's the word) again!

BTW, my agent said that periodic windshield replacements don't affect premiums... so that's also good news!
Better known as a "no fault claim"...

Last edited by IGB; 09-24-2011 at 02:23 AM.