C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Possibly buying C350 this weekend

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Possibly buying C350 this weekend

This weekend, we're going to look at a used 2009 C350 for my son. It has about 32,000 miles on it. It has P2, Lighting, and MM packages I believe. Here are some dealer pics.

He's been driving for nearly 18 months now and this is a contender for his first car. He's been driving my old daily driver on a daily basis, so it's not technically his first car, but this will be the first car we're actually buying for him.
What's your take on this car as his first car, and also, what are some things to look out for upon visual inspection or even the model year, etc?

What kind of negotiating will we be able to do? The price is $34,991. And also, it has warranty until 100,000/2014.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
looks nice...but wow 34K....ur close to a new one at the price...its a sweet ride..good luck! let us know how it works out
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The C Class has shown itself to be of very good reliability and is an Insurance Institute of Highway Safety "Top Pick" for impact testing. It probably has more power than I would give a teen with only 18 months of driving experience, but other than that, it has a lot of great qualities which make for a wonderful car. Here's a likely unpopular thought...a new Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, or Hyundai Sonata would offer similar impact capability and at least as good, if not better, quality, with the benefit of being unused, and would leave him something to which to aspire and work for later in life.

For this car, the best way to assess the price is to enter the vehicle model and content information on edmunds.com with your zip code to adjust for regional market differences.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DOOLA
looks nice...but wow 34K....ur close to a new one at the price...its a sweet ride..good luck! let us know how it works out
I was thinking that as well, but a new one at a similar price would be a C300 without any of the options the C350 we're looking at has. Also, my wife and I don't necessarily want him to get a brand new car for his first car.
We're looking for options specifically like navi, xenons, and heated seats as the Acura RL he's been driving around has a fair amount of options like I mentioned above.

Originally Posted by Sportstick
The C Class has shown itself to be of very good reliability and is an Insurance Institute of Highway Safety "Top Pick" for impact testing. It probably has more power than I would give a teen with only 18 months of driving experience, but other than that, it has a lot of great qualities which make for a wonderful car. Here's a likely unpopular thought...a new Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, or Hyundai Sonata would offer similar impact capability and at least as good, if not better, quality, with the benefit of being unused, and would leave him something to which to aspire and work for later in life.

For this car, the best way to assess the price is to enter the vehicle model and content information on edmunds.com with your zip code to adjust for regional market differences.
I truly appreciate your advice. Very helpful.
In regards to the power of the C350, I've driven them before (loaners) and I don't think the power of it will be too overwhelming for him. The car he currently drives has 215 horsepower, so 268 won't be too dramatic of a difference. Yes it will be much quicker, but it's not an AMG or M car by any means. Plus he practiced with his permit on my wife's ML63 and even took his driving test in it, so I'm not too worried in regards to the power that the C350 has.

We also are considering a new Ford Focus hatchback as well as the other cars you mentioned like the Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Honda Accord, etc.

I took your advice regarding Edmunds.com and the certified used price came out to be around $33,000 with dealer retail being around $31,000 so we have an approximate range to shoot for.

Again, truly appreciate the advice. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
One last thought on safety. Whatever you choose, I suggest picking from the following list:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

However, also keep in mind that ratings are comparable for cars which weigh within 500lbs of each other. A Focus and an E Class are both Top Picks, but clearly would not provide similar outcomes to occupants of both if they hit each other. Think of a Top Pick as how to find the best impact performance once you decide what size vehicle is best suited to you. But, all other things being equal, mass wins.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

let him keep the car he has been driving and get yourself something new to play with
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tc1728
let him keep the car he has been driving and get yourself something new to play with
I'm more than happy with the current crop of cars we have now, but that really is a great suggestion.

No, but he really does need a new car. The Acura he's driving is 11 years old and is approaching 150,000 miles. Also, the SRS light is on and so far isn't fixable, so I wouldn't want to risk any accidents with the car. Who knows whether or not the airbags actually work.

Last edited by QuadBenz; 09-22-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
I think it's a smart choice..I got mine when I was 21 so a bit older than your son, but close enough to relate. It's the ideal car for a young guy. It's acceptably fun/sporty, classy enough to not give the wrong image (key for teens/early 20s guys), and of course safe.

Good luck, I imagine car shopping for you kids is exciting. I can't wait to do it in about 30 years
Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 250
I got a brand new C250 4matic when I was 22. The price I paid can get me a used c350 for sure. The thing is, you dont want your son to afford to maintenance fee. I can tell you man, if you bring back to dealer for service, it gonna be very expansive. Plus, you might need to consider replace parts soon after u get the car, for example, the performance tire, break pad, transmission oil...in other words, if u get a brand new car for your son, it will be peace in mind for the first 3 year. That just my 2cents
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
I, personally, think there's value in not being given everything you want. I would probably find a C300. You can get it optioned the same way. But it's a true entry-level mercedes for an entry-level driver.

As to the price, it seems high -- at least compared to the market here in Sarasota, FL.

A year ago I bought a 2008 with 17k miles, same options, also CPO, and paid $29.9k for it.

I would seriously consider the notion of finding a similar C300. It would also allow you to go the 4matic route which will do nothing but increase safety in adverse weather conditions.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by encoder
I, personally, think there's value in not being given everything you want. I would probably find a C300. You can get it optioned the same way. But it's a true entry-level mercedes for an entry-level driver.
This gets sensitive because we are entering into differences in values and parenting styles, and none of us know this parent or child or their situation, and I am not sure how much advice is sought or even welcome.

But, you make a very compelling point, indeed. How does one develop a sense of value and appreciation when the pinnacle is simply handed to you very early on in life? In a sense, it may be unfair to deprive someone of that level of satisfaction and accomplishment of earning one's own reward later on, when earlier on the item has been devalued by simply being provided without the requisite blood, sweat, and tears to earn it. If an 18 year old has worked his butt off for the money, then his/her choice is their perfect right. I am thinking about simply giving an top end product to an adolescent, far beyond what they need.

My 31 and 28 year old are now providing for themselves, and are justifiably proud of their achievements, including earning the resources to acquire the material ones. When they started, I gave my daughter a 4 cylinder minivan and my son had a Dakota pickup which got them back and forth to school very well. I think these OP parents' explorations of Hyundais, Fords, etc. is very justified for a moderate brand identity, high safety and reliability, and the day to day benefits of not dealing with a collection of expensive used parts for a young man just starting out. If their son is not thrilled to be handed those new keys, perhaps that is already a basis for concern.

I hope this is taken in the constructive spirit offered and wish these parents and their son well in their search.

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-22-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 AM

2011 C 300 2001 E 430
I would go for the the C350, but the price is a little high. I am asumming that you are getting certified MB from a dealer. Usually they will only certify and warranty only the top trade-ins. IF you could get some waggling room on price down to around 30-31K, it should be a great deal. he warranty looks good until 2014 (3 years). I think the 350 engine is very good and reliable. Should be a great car for him!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
if you can get the price down a little its a good buy
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM

2009 mercedes benz c300
You will need a trans fluid change and filter replacement {not flush} at 39,000 or lose your trans warranty.About $500 with tax in Chicago.
But then some people have plenty of money and $500 is nothing to them.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM

2009 mercedes benz c300
PS That's the price for a 4matic

Originally Posted by justaguy
You will need a trans fluid change and filter replacement {not flush} at 39,000 or lose your trans warranty.About $500 with tax in Chicago.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
isn't giving your 18 year old son a benz too early? i mean if you have the money sure it is a great idea but logically speaking ain't a good way to start off a teen who is not yet experienced in driving. I have money too and in no way I'll be giving my kid a luxury car as a daily driver without him knowing how to appreciate the M badge and the value of money to buy one of those cars. you think your kid won't race that thing? I bet you now that when he gets inside that thing and wants to show off he won't hesitate to push that lead foot of his to the gas pedal. i know because I did that when i was a teen and i bet everyone on this forum who had a chance to drive a car on there teen days did the same. safety yes it it safe but there are also other cars out there that will do the same thing and i bet that if your kid hits a pole at 70mph no airbag or car frame will save him without having injuries.

don't get me wrong I am a parent too and i want the best for my kids but there is always a fine line about what is being to excessive and sometimes us parents should be the one to take control and provide what is best for our kids so that they will learn how to appreciate things in life.

no matter what we say here it will end up you in deciding what is best for your kid but yes the C350 is a nice car and i bet he will be thrilled to have it just make sure you haggle the price as your kid won't baby that car the way you babied yours.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Originally Posted by justaguy
my friend, you have posted this statement in multiple threads that dont even concern transmissions. I see u are new here. I will tell you 450-500 is very expensive for this service and you should shop your MB service like any other money u spend, there are service coupons here in NJ for 199. Also you CANNOT void your initial warranty (not extended or CPO) for failure of service, other than the wrong oil filter, it must be a MB OEM filter and oil. I am 36 and have owned 5 MBs, 4 bought new, and on my 2nd w204, I know a lil about these cars. A relationship w a dealer is the key, I can do ANYTHING to my cars and they will warranty it no matter what.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
almost forgot, to the Original Poster, that car shouldnt be more than 30k, considering you could walk off my local lot w a 2011 C300 with some options for 38k right now. My 2008 c350 lease had all those options and had 29k when given back, my buyout was 27k,