MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/417787-bad-steering-lock-ignition-module-1900-a.html)

c3nthusiast 10-04-2011 08:55 PM

Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!
 
Picking up my car tomorrow after 10 days in the shop. $1900 for a bad steering lock and ignition module. Oh well.

Glyn M Ruck 10-04-2011 09:07 PM

Yes - the EIS which is top of the control pyramid is expensive. Too expensive for what it is.

AkaSigFreak 10-04-2011 09:49 PM

I was having the starting issues and had it checked by the dealership. About 2-3 times a month, I would turn the key and the car failed to start. All the lights come on, but nothing else. Sometimes, I could pull the key out, an retry. Other times, I had to wait like 15-20 minutes and try again. They tested for 2 days and claimed they were unable to diagnose the problem and did not receive any error codes. I told them I was aware of others having Ignition Module problems. I even had multiple videos from my phone as proof. It was well documented so what happens if this goes out after my warranty expires in November? Will they cover the repair?

rb23lb 10-04-2011 10:55 PM


Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 4860534)
I was having the starting issues and had it checked by the dealership. About 2-3 times a month, I would turn the key and the car failed to start. All the lights come on, but nothing else. Sometimes, I could pull the key out, an retry. Other times, I had to wait like 15-20 minutes and try again. They tested for 2 days and claimed they were unable to diagnose the problem and did not receive any error codes. I told them I was aware of others having Ignition Module problems. I even had multiple videos from my phone as proof. It was well documented so what happens if this goes out after my warranty expires in November? Will they cover the repair?

yep, just took mine in for the same issue and of course, "could not duplicate"

i took a video of the issue

might have to break it out in the future if it fails after warranty is over in November as well

Glyn M Ruck 10-05-2011 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 4860534)
I was having the starting issues and had it checked by the dealership. About 2-3 times a month, I would turn the key and the car failed to start. All the lights come on, but nothing else. Sometimes, I could pull the key out, an retry. Other times, I had to wait like 15-20 minutes and try again. They tested for 2 days and claimed they were unable to diagnose the problem and did not receive any error codes. I told them I was aware of others having Ignition Module problems. I even had multiple videos from my phone as proof. It was well documented so what happens if this goes out after my warranty expires in November? Will they cover the repair?

Keep all that amo. They must replace the darn thing if it showed up under warranty.

TheDarkSide 10-31-2011 02:20 PM

I just came across this thread. My car is currently at MB of Henderson (Vegas Area) for this exact problem. Battery was good but the car wouldnt start. I had to have the vehicle towed to the dealer via MB Roadside Assistance. The dealer tried to start the car the next morning. They said it wouldn't start at first but then got it to start. No codes were showing up but they didn't want to give me back the car because they knew there was something wrong. They just called and said they found that it was a bad steering lock that was causing the no starts. All covered under warrenty including the towing and rental car. :)

RLE 10-31-2011 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by c3nthusiast (Post 4860473)
Picking up my car tomorrow after 10 days in the shop. $1900 for a bad steering lock and ignition module. Oh well.

This kind of thing is exactly why I bought an extended warranty for my 2008 C300 since the 4 year warranty expired two weeks ago.

TomGator1 11-07-2011 01:22 PM

I just had the same thing happen to my car yesterday. 2008 C350. I called AAA, they sent out a battery truck. The guy tried to jump it and it did nothing. Then they towed it to the MB dealer. They called me this morning after they tested it and said the steering lock needs to be replaced ($,097). They also said the PreFuse has to replaced ($897) - they said the only way the PreFuse can blow is if jumper cables are placed backwards. So, they are basically saying the battery guy who does this all day for a living put the battery cables on backwards. Has anyone heard of this PreFuse issue? So, now my car is sitting there and they are waiting for me to call them back with a yes or no. $1,975 seems awfully high. Any suggestions from anyone?

joshg1001 11-07-2011 02:55 PM

honestly, they should increase the warranty period for this part if this is such a common issue. At least issue a TSB for it

Glyn M Ruck 11-07-2011 05:18 PM

In SA we can now extend our Mobiloplan from 6 years 120,000Km's for another 2 years for US$ 1000

Ron Jr 11-07-2011 07:12 PM


Originally Posted by RLE (Post 4898026)
This kind of thing is exactly why I bought an extended warranty for my 2008 C300 since the 4 year warranty expired two weeks ago.

This sort of thing is exactly why I traded my 08 in after it was paid off. I'll do the same with the 11 in a year and a half.

rb23lb 11-07-2011 08:11 PM


Originally Posted by Ron Jr (Post 4907907)
This sort of thing is exactly why I traded my 08 in after it was paid off. I'll do the same with the 11 in a year and a half.

hmmm... interesting... do you think continually taking the hit on depreciation by buying another new car is worth saving the possible extra thousand or so you might spend in that same time with out of warranty repairs?

makes me think twice about keeping my car for the long haul, although i only have 27k miles after 4 years since its not my daily driver

tanktube67 11-08-2011 01:51 AM

It make me wonder sometimes, this is the first time I’m keeping a car longer than 3 years, I guess time will tell.

TomGator1 11-10-2011 03:57 PM

THIS IS HOW COMPANIES SHOULD TREAT CUSTOMERS!
 

Originally Posted by TomGator1 (Post 4907351)
I just had the same thing happen to my car yesterday. 2008 C350. I called AAA, they sent out a battery truck. The guy tried to jump it and it did nothing. Then they towed it to the MB dealer. They called me this morning after they tested it and said the steering lock needs to be replaced ($1,097). They also said the PreFuse has to replaced ($897) - they said the only way the PreFuse can blow is if jumper cables are placed backwards. So, they are basically saying the battery guy who does this all day for a living put the battery cables on backwards. Has anyone heard of this PreFuse issue? So, now my car is sitting there and they are waiting for me to call them back with a yes or no. $1,975 seems awfully high. Any suggestions from anyone?

I contacted Mercedes Benz directly about this issue, and pointed out to them the fact that this is a known issue (determined through my research in these forums and elsewhere online) and yet they have not done anything about it (e.g. a recall, TSB, etc). I am VERY HAPPY to report that Mercedes Benz worked directly with the dealer and paid for the majority of this repair. My cost ended up being $414. In addition, the dealer paid for my rental car during the time it took to wait for parts and complete the repairs. I have to say that both Mercedes Benz and the Service Manager and my Service Advisor at the dealer acted with the utmost professionalism and they did everything possible to make sure that I was satisfied. This is EXACTLY how companies should treat their customers. Not only that, but after I returned the rental car and picked up my car, a technician who was near my car offered to check out my fluids (he filled up my windshield washer and topped off my antifreeze AND he even replaced a missing end-cap on one of my windshield wipers AND he offered to clean and degrease my engine this weekend). I know one thing, I will be bringing my business to this Mercedes Benz dealer in the future. I am extremely happy with Mercedes Benz.

Glyn M Ruck 11-10-2011 08:12 PM

Nice to hear positive feedback!

dodgern 11-12-2011 11:04 PM

I have had the exact same issues with my 2008 C300W Sport suddenly not starting. Car was towed to MB Mechanic. I had to replace the Electronic Steering Lock and the order the Orange Key, parts was about $1300 here in the Bahamas. I wrote to MB of Latin America about this issue because it is a common issue that Mercedes Benz knows about but is doing nothing to recall/rectify it free to customers. Told them I will have my lawyer deal with them and put this on the news if they don't reimburse me and correct the issue on these cars. Just no way this should be happening on a car with 43,000 miles...its a quality issue and MB needs to fix it!!!

vistapoints 05-16-2012 09:35 PM


Originally Posted by TomGator1 (Post 4912444)
I contacted Mercedes Benz directly about this issue, and pointed out to them the fact that this is a known issue (determined through my research in these forums and elsewhere online) and yet they have not done anything about it (e.g. a recall, TSB, etc). I am VERY HAPPY to report that Mercedes Benz worked directly with the dealer and paid for the majority of this repair. My cost ended up being $414. In addition, the dealer paid for my rental car during the time it took to wait for parts and complete the repairs. I have to say that both Mercedes Benz and the Service Manager and my Service Advisor at the dealer acted with the utmost professionalism and they did everything possible to make sure that I was satisfied. This is EXACTLY how companies should treat their customers. Not only that, but after I returned the rental car and picked up my car, a technician who was near my car offered to check out my fluids (he filled up my windshield washer and topped off my antifreeze AND he even replaced a missing end-cap on one of my windshield wipers AND he offered to clean and degrease my engine this weekend). I know one thing, I will be bringing my business to this Mercedes Benz dealer in the future. I am extremely happy with Mercedes Benz.

I was wondering if you had a direct contact person / info at MB corporate regarding this issue? I am having the same exactly problem. Dealer quoating about $1,200. 2008 C300 sports, barely over 50k miles :( .

2012c350 05-17-2012 08:14 AM

Noticed that 2008 seems to be a common theme. Anyone know if this issue has been resolved in the newer models?

dubzino 06-11-2012 03:59 PM

Yes I am interested to know this also. Has anyone had this issue with their 2009?

dubzino 07-01-2012 08:19 PM

Well I will take that as a no.

Domm 07-01-2012 08:29 PM


Originally Posted by dubzino (Post 5264409)
Well I will take that as a no.

Well, it's really difficult to determine because it seems this problem occurs around the 4th year. You'll find out if anyone has complaints in the next few months.

dubzino 07-02-2012 07:42 PM

I'm trying to buy one with a push button start cause I have not heard of any of those models having that issue.

jctevere 07-02-2012 07:49 PM

No problems in our 2009 C300, 2011 C300, or either 2012 C250 Coupe...

Super300 11-28-2012 08:22 PM

I have just had the same issue (steering lock) with my 2009 c300, 3 weeks after my warranty expired.

Has anyone got details of how they approached MB with a compliant?

Bosnia1992 11-29-2012 12:03 AM

Hello, I have a 2008 aswell I have extended warranty for two more years I was wondering if it was possible to get this replaced under warranty even if it hasnt become a problem yet?


Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands