C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Transmission "Clank" Sound...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes the good old Chrysler TorqueFlite is a brute of a transmission. There was nothing wrong with the best "vacuum over hydraulic" transmissions although their changes were slow & they weighed too much for a 3 speed. The 722.9 is basically a simplified 722.6 with a Ravigneaux Gear Set to add the extra ratios. I have always felt that the electronic control that should make for a superior transmission is too complex & considers too many parameters. I think it would be a far better transmission with 2 or 3 switched selectable fixed maps, kickdown, manual overide & safety features like over rev protection & temperature control. Thats really all it needs.

Touche on the industrial lubricant fanatic ~ see my profile.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Glyn, agree with you totally about now obsolete transmissions like the TorqueFlite and Turbo Hydramatic, and even more totally (if that is possible) about the TCU taking too many parameters from the CAN bus and then integrating both obligatory seconds-long self-protecting delays besides further erroneous and unnecessary misinformation from the Adaptive Learning memory.

Actually, when the MY2010 and earlier 7G’s receive the free TCU update, this erases the 8 cells of the Adaptive Learning memory and the transmission funtions fantastically, it is Track Day until the Adaptive Memory fills up again with torque garbage. I would be perfectly happy with my W204, WITHOUT the folly of Adaptive Learning, which makes my Ford a much more pleasant and spirited ride. It is too bad that “S” doesnt just disable the Adaptive Learning input, in addition to raising the RPM ceiling.

Hundreds of thousands of 7G owners would cheer if there would be a simple way that Adaptive Learning could be defeated. Has anyone had success in disabling this? Transmission tuners such as Weistec lobotmize the Adaptive Learning in a remapped TCU as part of their 7G upgrade which also replaces the valve bodies so that 100% lockup of the brake and clutch plates can be acheived, instead of the factory 98%, resulting in more authoritative shifts.

We all await to see if a DCT will be standard in the W205, although the VW/Audi DSG has been somewhat of a fail, and many reclaim the BMW Automated Manual doesnt last 100k miles (although one may suspect it’s being driven “too hard”). Glyn, it is interesting you claim evidence of more transmission loss from the BMW DCT than the 7G, this is very curious. In any case, expect a lot of clunkiness with DCT, the gears soak up torque differences directly.

Here are two links to MB websites with animations, the first about the DCT found in the FWD A/B/CLA, the second about the 7G Plus and torque convertor lockup.

http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...ct/detail.html

http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...#intro-section

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 06-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The BMW DCT was a bit of a frustration. BMW ended up giving us 2 cars. Both showed the same losses but they both ended up with launch control not available. They both went into protect mode a few times due to high temperature we believe. This was part of a 3 way test for our local Car magazine including the E63 & Jag XFR.

The W205 will certainly offer a DCT. I've driven the A250 Sport DCT. It's selling up a storm in SA along with lesser models. Very popular. Can't wait to try an A45 when it becomes available >200KW 2 litre turbo. Dealers are all smiles again.

The A250 DCT is fun but it still suffers a level of typical Benz programmed-in latency which is a pity. At least it does what you want it to do. I'm hopefull that a more sporty software flash will be available.

I don't know of anybody that has defeated the adaptive learning. My irritation with the 7G in everyday driving is the tendency to lug the engine before kicking down. This has become worse with newer flashes in the efforts to tame fuel consumption. I want the car to rev freely without always having to floor the throttle. Once again an adaptive learning problem.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 06-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.