C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Should I install winter tires on a 4Matic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I'm in Toronto and I am running Continental Extreme Contact DWS (which in my experience is the best all season tires), on my 4matic.
It feels preforms confidently with great grip on loose and hard packed snow and ice.
I think it performs even better than Blizzaks on a front wheel drive car, which I had previously.

So I would say if you have a high quality/highly rated all season tires, you should do just fine if you have 4matic.

Last edited by aowhaus; 10-05-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I am not so sure that having a set of dedicated summer tires and winter tires are more cost effective... I haven't gotten more than 2 solid winter seasons out of a set of blizzaks without having sloppy performance on the third season. Summer tires wear quicker than I can mount and dismount them... At least how I drive.

Fact is, with my DWS, I have 33,000 miles logged (granted mostly highway) and still have WELL over half of tread left. I would imagine I can easily go 60k miles before I wouldn't use them in the winter. Combine that with the fact that these tires are DIRT cheap (when compared to Michelin's PA3) and its a win/win in my book.

What I have found with DWS is to inflate them a bit more than stock OE rubber (I run 41PSI all around). Get little to no body roll anymore around highway ramps (same as OE) and the ride is much smoother and quieter. I plan on going through only 2 sets of tires with the expected life of my vehicle before I sell her (about 120k). And I would imagine I would go through 3 sets of brake pads in that time... And certainly have to buy 2 sets EACH of winter and summer tires to last me that long.

But Sportstick is right. If you plan on driving in ICY conditions, either stay home, or get yourself some dedicated winter tires. The rubber compound really doesn't perform as well at such temperatures in all season tires.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by jctevere
...But Sportstick is right. If you plan on driving in ICY conditions, either stay home, or get yourself some dedicated winter tires. The rubber compound really doesn't perform as well at such temperatures in all season tires.
Do you mean on icy conditions, or just cold winters in general? And what all-season tires are you basing this on? ... on your C-class?

No arguing, just curious 'cause we had no problems in occasional conditions like that with Mich'n MXM's (except ice). My experience with icy conditions on another car is studded tires are best for frequent icy conditions. I even made studded tires for my mountain bike for when the trails iced over, like paved with ice. I could do out of the saddle accelerations, but could not stand on the same iced trails.

Last edited by kevink2; 10-06-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
Do you mean on icy conditions, or just cold winters in general? And what all-season tires are you basing this on? ... on your C-class?

No arguing, just curious 'cause we had no problems in occasional conditions like that with Mich'n MXM's (except ice). My experience with icy conditions on another car is studded tires are best for frequent icy conditions. I even made studded tires for my mountain bike for when the trails iced over, like paved with ice. I could do out of the saddle accelerations, but could not stand on the same iced trails.

Part of this is how each person manages risk. I've been paying for fire insurance on my home for years...hasn't burned down yet, so one might argue that is not cost effective. My favorite response to anyone who exclaims when a first-time problem arises, "That's never happened to me before", is that for everything in the world that has happened, at some earlier point in time, had never happened before. Just how ready each person wants to be in the winter when they encounter an unseen patch of black ice on an otherwise dry day, or have to make a sudden stop/turn in an emergency, for a couple of examples, is a personal choice. For me, I won't tackle either freezing temperatures, snow, or ice without the best tire I can find/afford designed for the environment. As we head into the winter, best wishes to all for a safe season.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Here's a related question: What's the best bang-for-the-buck way to acquire snow tires?

Option#1: Order wheels and mounted tires (BlizzakWS70) from tirerack.com with installed TPMS sensors.

Option#2: Order 4 wheels from PowerWheels Pro, order 4 TPMS sensors from tirerack ($240 vs $800 at a dealer) and buy 4 snows from local tire store and have them mount everything.

Option 2 is more $$$, but has two possible advantages: 1) I'm not sure about the quality of the tirerack wheels (will they rust?) Their wheels start at about $100 and go on up from there... how much do you have to spend to get a decent wheel? 2)If anything goes wrong with a tire, it's easier to warranty it thru the local dealer, right? Should this be a concern?

Since I have a C300 4matic Sport, my plan is to get 4 wheels identical in size (17x7.5) to my current front wheels and mount 225/45-17 snows. I spoke to a guy at Michelin and he suggested that I run a slightly narrower tire (I think he suggested 215/50-17) that would fit those rims also... does this make sense?

Please feel free to share any ideas!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by amazer98
Here's a related question: What's the best bang-for-the-buck way to acquire snow tires?

Option#1: Order wheels and mounted tires (BlizzakWS70) from tirerack.com with installed TPMS sensors.

Option#2: Order 4 wheels from PowerWheels Pro, order 4 TPMS sensors from tirerack ($240 vs $800 at a dealer) and buy 4 snows from local tire store and have them mount everything.

Option 2 is more $$$, but has two possible advantages: 1) I'm not sure about the quality of the tirerack wheels (will they rust?) Their wheels start at about $100 and go on up from there... how much do you have to spend to get a decent wheel? 2)If anything goes wrong with a tire, it's easier to warranty it thru the local dealer, right? Should this be a concern?

Since I have a C300 4matic Sport, my plan is to get 4 wheels identical in size (17x7.5) to my current front wheels and mount 225/45-17 snows. I spoke to a guy at Michelin and he suggested that I run a slightly narrower tire (I think he suggested 215/50-17) that would fit those rims also... does this make sense?

I've dealt with both of those sources, and they are good ones. My tirerack.com wheels for winter were $95 Rial wheels which actually looked better than the OE 17" wheels, but are still just regular silver painted aluminum. If you want just a basic wheel, basic tirerack.com wheels will do fine, and it is easy to receive the entire completed assembly.

Powerwheelspro.com will get you a better choice of designs for a Benz for about the same or just slightly more if you are style conscious even in the winter.

There is a third alternative. Order the tires and TPMS from tirerack for their pricing and availability. Have them shipped to one of their approved local installers in your area. Order the wheels from Vassili at Powerwheelspro and also ship those to that same installer. They mate up and become ready for install when you roll in. You get the best of both worlds.

Yes, the narrower tire definitely makes sense. That Michelin guy knows his physics! Same weight car on narrower tires yields higher PSI of downward force in the smaller contact patch for better traction.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Thanks, SportStk,

I wasn't sure if taking the smaller size tire and stretching it to fit on the widest rim it was spec'ed for (7.5" wide) was a good idea. I guess if the factory says it's OK, why not? And I suppose that, so long as the tirerack wheels won't rust (since they're alu), I should be good to go with them.

You're right, style isn't so paramount during the winter. Up here the cars are always dirty anyway between December and April!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thanks, SportStk,

I wasn't sure if taking the smaller size tire and stretching it to fit on the widest rim it was spec'ed for (7.5" wide) was a good idea. I guess if the factory says it's OK, why not? And I suppose that, so long as the tirerack wheels won't rust (since they're alu), I should be good to go with them.

You're right, style isn't so paramount during the winter. Up here the cars are always dirty anyway between December and April!
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

These guys agree that the 215 will fit up to a 7.5" rim width
Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Another option

Narrow tires are better in winter messes. Go to the Nashua town fair tire after you get your best prices. Ask for the manager and tell him the picky old guy with the G and AMG sent you. He can get tires wheels TPMS whatever you want. you get all kinds of free services too.

Don't drive those winter tires until it get cold below 45-50f consistently or you will cook the winter compound. I used to put mine on in early Nov. and take them off march or April.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by grane
Narrow tires are better in winter messes. Go to the Nashua town fair tire after you get your best prices. Ask for the manager and tell him the picky old guy with the G and AMG sent you. He can get tires wheels TPMS whatever you want. you get all kinds of free services too.

Don't drive those winter tires until it get cold below 45-50f consistently or you will cook the winter compound. I used to put mine on in early Nov. and take them off march or April.
I live just a mile from Towne Fair Tire. I've bought tires there before and haven't had big issues, though many posters elsewhere have excoriated them for damaging rims. They did convince my son, however, to buy some off-brand all-season tire last year for his Civic; the crappy tires completely wore out in 10 months! I recall they quoted me a high price on some Hankooks a few years back until I pointed out I had scoped out Tirerack's price -- then the sales guy slashed their asking price.

I went to Sullivan Tire for the first time a month ago, right after I bought my C300 with the worn-out snows (yeah, the previous owner drove the car with snows for two straight years, summers included!). I was very pleased with their professionalism-- the guys were knowledgeable, able to perfectly fix a bent alloy wheel (they have a wheel machine at their Plaistow site... did it the same day), and even ordered in a TPMS sensor from the MB dealer when they found one of mine had a metal cap on it that had seized to the stem. I had to pay the $200 dealer rip-off price for the sensor, but that wasn't Sullivan's fault. I needed to get the good tires on quickly, so I bit that bullet.

My only gripe was that their road hazard insurance was something like $70 per tire (!) since I had the staggered set-up... or low-profiles... or whatever reason they gave me. Anyway, I'm not a big buyer of that kind of insurance anyways.

The overall vibe at Sullivans is much less cut-rate than TF... and its prices aren't much higher, if at all. I just couldn't get my head around bringing my new (OK, pre-owned) Benz to TF.

Last edited by amazer98; 10-06-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
http://www.tirerack.com/installer/In...03060&x=13&y=9

Notice the ratings for J&R and Stevens. I took a guess at your zip code.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
There are knuckleheads everywhere in the car biz

I've had good and bad experiences at both vendors amazer98 mentions. That's why I go to one guy only at TFT. Glad you like Sullivan. Such is life.

Tire warehouse is a good alternative if you do the Tirerack drill.

If your car is really going to be driven all the time in any sensible condition or you go to the ski slopes go for the stud less style, not the Hp winter tires.

Last edited by grane; 10-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
http://www.tirerack.com/installer/In...03060&x=13&y=9

Notice the ratings for J&R and Stevens. I took a guess at your zip code.
Thanks-- I had actually checked out this installer list, tho I wouldn't drive 30 minutes to Lowell or Derry to those specific places, since I'd be stuck there for the duration of the service.

I figured out that it was cheaper to buy wheels from PowerPro, the sensors from TireRack and pick up the tires locally. Even though it will cost $35/tire more after mounting and balancing is figured in, I'll save the $140 shipping fee from Tirerack, so it's about a wash. Plus, I have a $70 gift card that Sullivan's gave me when I bought the 4 Michelins last month.

I just had to use this emoticon!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thanks-- I had actually checked out this installer list, tho I wouldn't drive 30 minutes to Lowell or Derry to those specific places, since I'd be stuck there for the duration of the service.

I figured out that it was cheaper to buy wheels from PowerPro, the sensors from TireRack and pick up the tires locally. Even though it will cost $35/tire more after mounting and balancing is figured in, I'll save the $140 shipping fee from Tirerack, so it's about a wash. Plus, I have a $70 gift card that Sullivan's gave me when I bought the 4 Michelins last month.

I just had to use this emoticon!
Hope it all works out. Find a local place with a Road Force Balancer. You can still have the wheels and TPMS shipped to the tire shop, so by the time you arrive, it's just a few minutes for a few lugnuts!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Part of this is how each person manages risk. I've been paying for fire insurance on my home for years...hasn't burned down yet, so one might argue that is not cost effective. My favorite response to anyone who exclaims....
Thanks for the response Sportstick, but I was really interested in what jctevere based his last few statements on.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
....Since I have a C300 4matic Sport, my plan is to get 4 wheels identical in size (17x7.5) to my current front wheels and mount 225/45-17 snows. I spoke to a guy at Michelin and he suggested that I run a slightly narrower tire (I think he suggested 215/50-17) that would fit those rims also... does this make sense?

For a real snow machine, you could run 16"x7" 46mm rims & 205-55 snows. Tire size is same as old C230 and new C250 cars.

I test fitted these and they fit the 2008 C300 4MATIC Lux. Use it as a full speed spare.

205/55/16 Tire/wheels That Fit C300

Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by kevink2

My bad, I guess I skipped over this comment. Saw your request to answer it in the other thread, lol. Well, I was mainly referring to icy conditions (such as snow fall and compacted snow and ice/black ice). However, the same can be said for cold winters/temperatures in general. Near freezing temperatures all-season tires become very rigid, and don't hold the surface as well. So stopping distance increases, cornering gets worse. Also, it is possible to get ice/black ice without snowfall.

I have never used studded tires before, but have had dedicated winter blizzaks on an SL500, and have never really had problems. If I hit ice on a turn, the car might start to slide out a little, but the ESP kicks in and all is well. On my c-class I have only run DWS so far besides the stock michelins. I have had no problems on ice (granted I have a 4matic). And would compare the ice experience to be similar to the SL500 with winters. If you have a RWD, definitely get winters. If you have 4matic, I would just stick with DWS and just drive slowly. But this is coming from my experience on Long Island. By the time I get on the roads, it is either mainly paved, and salted/sanded. If I do hit ice patches, they aren't ice covered surfaces, just isolated areas. If I lived in an area like Canada or further in the snow belt where roads are commonly covered with snow and packed, my opinion may differ.

But like Sportstick recommends, its like insurance. I don't find it worth the time/money/effort to get dedicated winters for my 4matic c300, because I don't drive in conditions that snow tires would greatly benefit me, and if I do, I am driving slow enough and are experienced enough to control any slippage safely. However, to some who want that added margin of safety, may find winter tires useful.

But like I said, I hate the driving characteristics of a car with blizzaks (at least the ones I had) - mushy ride, dead on center steering, combined with the hassle of having a second set of tires and/or rims to swap and store, and the extra cost involved, and its a no brainer for me...

Last edited by jctevere; 10-08-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic- White
I am shopping around for the winter tires and going to go for one size for all 225/45/17. It looks like I can get a good deal on Hankook W409 with MB alloy wheel package.

Did anyone use the steel rims instead of the alloys? It may look bad and those rims will rust too.

macsp
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM

C350
do you need snow tires in vancouver? this is my 2nd winter in vancouver. last year we only got snowed once and the year before was no snow. i have a w204 c350 using continental all season. stock tires.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Winter tires with 16" instead of 17"?

Hi guys,

Is it OK if I go with the 16" winter alloy rims for my car? The car comes with the 17" rims, but my tire store is recommending to go for 16" rim for winter as 225/50/16 (car spec is 225/45/17). Do you see any problem with this?

macsp
Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by macsp
Hi guys,

Is it OK if I go with the 16" winter alloy rims for my car? The car comes with the 17" rims, but my tire store is recommending to go for 16" rim for winter as 225/50/16 (car spec is 225/45/17). Do you see any problem with this?

macsp
If you test fit the wheel and it works with your brake size, the 16" tires will provide superior winter performance over a larger size. Your tire store is correct. In winter, smaller/narrower provides more traction. Look for Blizzak WS70 (not their LM series).
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM

If you test fit the wheel and it works with your brake size, the 16" tires will provide superior winter performance over a larger size. Your tire store is correct. In winter, smaller/narrower provides more traction. Look for Blizzak WS70 (not their LM series).
OK, I will check. I am planning on getting Michelin Xi2. I heard of the Blizzak WS70, but this one has the multi compound cell and after 60% wear it will turn into all season tires. Not sure if I want this...

I don't want any warranty issues with my car by putting a 16" rims for winter.

macsp
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by macsp
OK, I will check. I am planning on getting Michelin Xi2. I heard of the Blizzak WS70, but this one has the multi compound cell and after 60% wear it will turn into all season tires. Not sure if I want this...

I don't want any warranty issues with my car by putting a 16" rims for winter.

macsp
You are in the right category of studless ice and snow tires. The Xi2 have an advantage in treadware and a bit in dry traction, but check out the tirerack.com survey on all the snow and ice capabilities:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

16" tires/wheels will not cause warranty issues if they are properly fit, maintaining the overall diameter of the wheel/tire assembly.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM

2009 C350 Sport 4MATIC
I have lived in vancouver for many years and you dont really need winters unless you are going up to the mountains with your c. I think good set of all seasons like conti dws should be fine.
Originally Posted by hhh818
do you need snow tires in vancouver? this is my 2nd winter in vancouver. last year we only got snowed once and the year before was no snow. i have a w204 c350 using continental all season. stock tires.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 PM

2009 C350 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by _c350_
I have lived in vancouver for many years and you dont really need winters unless you are going up to the mountains with your c. I think good set of all seasons like conti dws should be fine.
Stock contis? Hmm might want to get dws then

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I install winter tires on a 4Matic?