C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Should I install winter tires on a 4Matic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport, AMG package
Should I install winter tires on a 4Matic?

I'm not sure if I should buy winter tires on the C300 4Matic, I'm in Ontario, Canada, we do have some snow here in winter. Are new stock tires gonna be ok? Thank you.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by imbane
I'm not sure if I should buy winter tires on the C300 4Matic, I'm in Ontario, Canada, we do have some snow here in winter. Are new stock tires gonna be ok? Thank you.
Absolutely....four wheels spinning doesn't help that much more than two if the tires are not competent at achieving traction. And, 4MATIC has no beneficial effect on braking with forward weight transfer, and little on steering if the tires slip. I am in nearby Michigan and on our E350 4MATIC, we run Blizzak WS60, which are outstanding winter tires...now the model has been upgraded to WS70. The stock tires are among the least capable in winter, as the OE spec for the rubber compound makes it harder than usual for better fuel economy, but that also results in even poorer cold weather performance when that same compound freezes hard like a hockey puck.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Why don't you decide?

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=122

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter

and just for grins

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=26&tab=winter
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
It is better in our snowy region to have a dedicated set of snow tires. As the phrase goes: All season tire is no season tire. Just for comparison sake; I have a set of winter tires for my RWD M3 and it is more stable and have more tractions than our G37xS with all-season tires. Since that comparison, I have a set of winter tires for all our automobile.

Good thing for Canadian car, you don't need to buy a set of TPMS sensor because Canadian cars are using a different system. It is a passive system that make use of the car existing ABS system.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:53 AM

2011 C300 4MATIC
I have the same car. I live in the same province. I have winter tires. I've had several all wheel drive vehicles from different manufacturers and designs over the years. All were better with winter tires than without.

All the other posters here are absolutely correct about traction improvement with winter tires and especially for stopping and turning.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I checked the price at tirerack, it seems I can get a package for $1000. I consider to ask them to ship to a shop near the Canadian border so I can do the installation there then drive back.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I think that asking this question, would be similar to someone asking if they should put racing or upgraded brakes on a track car. Of course the upgraded brakes will improve performance and handling, but will you car not stop on stock brakes - of course it will.

While I wouldn't stop anyone from getting winter tires. Having two sets of tires and swapping them out just aren't my thing. Since you have a 4matic, I would recommend grabbing a set of Extreme Contact DWS or other all-seasons that have faired well in snow.

While nothing can beat a winter tire's traction in icy conditions... I have found that either I don't drive when it is really icy or large amounts of snow downfall, and that is where a winter tire really shines. The peace of mind having one set of tires, as well as cost savings and ability to still get me around and relatively safely from place to place (especially in a 4matic) is why I run Continental Extreme Contact DWS all year round.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jctevere
I think that asking this question, would be similar to someone asking if they should put racing or upgraded brakes on a track car. Of course the upgraded brakes will improve performance and handling, but will you car not stop on stock brakes - of course it will.

While I wouldn't stop anyone from getting winter tires. Having two sets of tires and swapping them out just aren't my thing. Since you have a 4matic, I would recommend grabbing a set of Extreme Contact DWS or other all-seasons that have faired well in snow.

While nothing can beat a winter tire's traction in icy conditions... I have found that either I don't drive when it is really icy or large amounts of snow downfall, and that is where a winter tire really shines. The peace of mind having one set of tires, as well as cost savings and ability to still get me around and relatively safely from place to place (especially in a 4matic) is why I run Continental Extreme Contact DWS all year round.
Having a separate sets of summer and winter tires are cost effective in the long run. The cost of the total mileage of both set of tires will be cheaper than the same mileage for your one set of DWS. Generally, the cost of the winter tire is cheaper than the all-season tire.

Please also note that it is not just the snow or ice that makes winter tire better than the all-seaon tire. As the temperature goes down, the rubber compound of an all season tire will harden as compared to a winter tire.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM

C300 sport 4matic
For those of you putting on winter tires, are you using OEM staggered rims or have you purchased a second set of rims that are all the size of the OEM front rims? I looked into doing this but became overwhelemed trying to determine which rims to get and what offsets would work that between the confusion and the cost of additional tire pressure sensors I just gave up and got the ExtremeContact DWS.

My understanding is that the soft compound on the Blizzaks will wear down and they will become non-winter tires after a season or two which seems to hurt the economics as I have no need for Blizzaks with the winter tread worn down. Am I mistaken about this?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
For those of you putting on winter tires, are you using OEM staggered rims or have you purchased a second set of rims that are all the size of the OEM front rims? I looked into doing this but became overwhelemed trying to determine which rims to get and what offsets would work that between the confusion and the cost of additional tire pressure sensors I just gave up and got the ExtremeContact DWS.

My understanding is that the soft compound on the Blizzaks will wear down and they will become non-winter tires after a season or two which seems to hurt the economics as I have no need for Blizzaks with the winter tread worn down. Am I mistaken about this?
TireRack (I believe is a sponsor here) can give you a good recommendations. A square setup, same size all the way, is the way to go. The thinner(slimmer) the tire in winter is better. I got a friend from Toronto who ordered a square set up from TireRack. Delivered it in my place and they just drive and pick it up. I never heard of a winter tire compound that change in time.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely

My winter tires are the same size all around, the same as the OE fronts, even though my Sport came with a staggered set-up. It is not desirable to have any wider a winter tire than necessary, and while I could have gone narrower, it was simplest to just use the front size for all four corners.

The wear on Blizzaks, just like normal tires, will be usage-dependent. I don't have them installed until the snow actually appears, because being mounted on their own wheels, it's a very quick 20 lugnut job. This keeps them off as much dry pavement as needed. I also don't drive them overly aggressively. I am going into my third winter with them, and they are fine.

I'll tell you when the economics really go upside down. Suppose you have to emergency brake/turn on snow or ice and your all season tires don't react as well as winter tires would have...and you wind up with a "roadside restyle" of your Benz and maybe someone else's car as well!

For our most conservative use, my wife's E Class runs on DWS for three seasons and Blizzak for winter, so she always has optimal traction.

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Depends. What are the stock tires, exactly?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevink2
I think your conditions in Delaware are more variable, which could make OE tires acceptable (maybe the Michelins, not the Contis). There are no OE tires on a C Class suitable for an Ontario winter. The 401 can quickly turn into Siberia and further north, it's even worse!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:43 PM

W205 c400 sport
Michelin PA3

/thread
Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Blazeitup123
Michelin PA3

/thread
Not so fast!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

Scroll down to Studless Ice and Snow and compare snow ratings to so-called "Performance Winter". Isn't that the point of this whole exercise?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:31 PM

W205 c400 sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Not so fast!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

Scroll down to Studless Ice and Snow and compare snow ratings to so-called "Performance Winter". Isn't that the point of this whole exercise?
9/12 green boxes is what sold me!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Blazeitup123
9/12 green boxes is what sold me!

Are you my accountant?

In the winter/snow category, there are three boxes and your tires got one dark green box. In the studless category, Blizzak got three out of three!! What other category matters as much for the winter?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM

2017 GLC43 'AMG'
I pick up my four Nokian Hakkawhatever 7's *pre-studded* tires on Friday. They'll get installed later, a bit closer to winter.

The backroads where I live are sometimes a sheet of ice, wet, on a slope. Normal ice rated tires (Blizzacks, Alpins, etc.) are pretty good, but studded tires provided vastly more traction on ice. Deep snow may get you stuck, but ice will kill you.

Studded tires aren't for everyone, but when combined with 4Matic it makes for "entertaining" driving under even the very worst conditions. I had the same setup (Nokian studded) on my previous C240 4Matic for three years. Even on greasy slush on ice, it still pulled hard while other cars and SUVs were left spinning.

Winter tires? In Canada? During the winter? Yes, of course. No question. Vastly cheaper than a crunched fender. Crazy if you don't.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 PM

GLK 250
I live in toronto. i dont think winter tire is nesscessary.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by waiszeto
I live in toronto. i dont think winter tire is nesscessary.
Your city is well plowed in the winter...in my travels around the province visiting Canadian family, I can tell you are best off. If I was staying only in Toronto, I might agree, except for the freezing temps which make tire compound hard...don't try any short stops!!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 PM

2017 GLC43 'AMG'
Due to the congestion on big city roads and highways, if the winter driving conditions turn nasty, your progress would be blocked by 60,000 other people using crummy tires and 2wd. By the time you get home, it'll be Spring anyway. LOL.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by kevink2
Continental ContiProContact
Front: P225/45 R17
Rear: P245/40 R17
Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 PM

C300 sport 4matic
if nothing else, then i think - and others will agree - that you need to get rid of those tires. i got them with my car and they are the worst tires i have ever had on any car. Hydroplaned like crazy. it is a complete disgrace that MB supplies them as oem. i switched to the extremecontact dws and have noticed a dramatic improvement in wet and dry conditions, but have not yet tried the dws in winter conditions. some people say the sidewall on the 17 in dws is too soft, but i am not experienced enough with high performance tires to notice that.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Continental ContiProContact
Front: P225/45 R17
Rear: P245/40 R17
In the US, C300 4MATIC's are available in sport (with staggered wheels) or lux models, vs just one version in Canada with staggered wheels. IF your C300 is set up like our sport model, you have a stiffer suspension and about 1/2" drop vs our lux models .... both hamper winter driving.

GF has lux model with Michelin HX MX4 tires. With occasional single digit temps, hard packed snow after plowing, and a steep driveway joining a very steep back road (~12-14%grade), we had no problems over the years. These Michelins stay supple in extremely cold weather. As I understand it, you have "Agility Control" (excellent feature) that has a soft damper setting. IF you had these Michelins, I'd suggest you give them a try for a winter.

But, with those oem tires on a sport model, a second winter set is suggested.

c300-4matic-oem-tires-really-suck

This will eventually allow the option of more aggressive "summer" tires on oem rims. As Sportstick said, winter package would be based on your front tire size, and will look fine as all the extra oem width at the rear is on the inner side of the wheel/tire. For maximum snow-go power, you could go with 16"-205-55 snow tires, studded for icy conditions. Some 16" wheels will fit, if the disc diameter and calipers have not changed from previous C300's.

Last edited by kevink2; 10-05-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Absolutely....four wheels spinning doesn't help that much more than two if the tires are not competent at achieving traction. And, 4MATIC has no beneficial effect on braking with forward weight transfer, and little on steering if the tires slip. I am in nearby Michigan and on our E350 4MATIC, we run Blizzak WS60, which are outstanding winter tires...now the model has been upgraded to WS70. The stock tires are among the least capable in winter, as the OE spec for the rubber compound makes it harder than usual for better fuel economy, but that also results in even poorer cold weather performance when that same compound freezes hard like a hockey puck.
+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I install winter tires on a 4Matic?