C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ABS Engages Too Soon / Too Easily?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
ABS Engages Too Soon / Too Easily?

Has anyone else experienced that their ABS system kicks in a bit prematurely during certain scenarios. I have found that if I am moderately braking on a slight decline, you can hear a bit of grinding and feel a huge loss of brake pressure at the foot, slightly engaging the ABS. Now, when I say moderate, I mean no where near enough force to slid the tires, needing ABS. It seems (overkill) and a bit dangerous in some situations. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, this almost ALWAYS happens if I am turning on an incline or decline and happen to be braking. Even if the speed is relatively slow.

The scenario for an incline is when you are pulling off a road into a shopping center parking lot, and have to do a bit of braking because of some guy that comes out, or is stopped right in the entrance that you didnt see. The speed is nothing dramatic, and definitely would not need ABS, but the car slightly engages it, and losing the brake pressure at the pedal is definitely heart dropping (especially if you are a bit close).

Also, there is a hill with a stop sign at the end of my street that I live on. The intersection is a T-crossing and the stop sign is at the apex of the hill. Occasionally when people blow the stop sign, I will go on the brakes (while turning onto the street perpendicular to mine) and the ABS will again engage prematurely.

I assure you that I am not going crazy and these aren't situations where ABS (in any car) would engage. In the SL500 or Escalade or any of the numerous rentals I have driven or others cars owned, driven in the same places never engage ABS under these conditions, but in my 2009 w204 it does - and quite often. Occasionally this happens on the 2011 w204 in the same situations, but nearly as much as in my 2009. Of course, "dealer can't replicate". So I was wondering if anyone else has noticed if our w204 simply like to engage ABS even though its not needed, even though it is not needed, or if something may be up with mine?

Last edited by jctevere; 10-13-2011 at 12:56 AM.