C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Educate me on Snow tires/stagger/wheel size etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AV6
stretching tires is potentially dangerous around potholes area. dont risk it. or just get same size wheels

widening is the correct method. show me a review not article based on just tire width in different condition
Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by qaz393
stretching tires is potentially dangerous around potholes area. dont risk it. or just get same size wheels

widening is the correct method. show me a review not article based on just tire width in different condition
This is not a stretch, per folks who would know at 1010tires.com. That tire and wheel size are compatible, per their calculator. He is trying to accomplish his goal without spending additional funds, if not necessary.

We already had this discussion about winter driving in another thread. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. This is simple physics and I already provided several expert references who understand the difference between driving on dry pavement and in snow. Everyone here can make their own decisions, as may you. I will again offer my best wishes to you for safe driving in the upcoming winter. I'm done.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM

AV6
Originally Posted by Sportstick
This is not a stretch, per folks who would know at 1010tires.com. That tire and wheel size are compatible, per their calculator. He is trying to accomplish his goal without spending additional funds, if not necessary.

We already had this discussion about winter driving in another thread. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. This is simple physics and I already provided several expert references who understand the difference between driving on dry pavement and in snow. Everyone here can make their own decisions, as may you. I will again offer my best wishes to you for safe driving in the upcoming winter. I'm done.
you ignorance makes me LOL

why dont you run 165 width in winter and rave how well they perform.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC43 'AMG'
Popp! Those are the same tires going on my car next week, Hakkawhatever 7 *studded* in stock size 245/40-18. :-)

Something for everyone to think about is the following: One may get stuck in snow, but ice on the road can cause one to crash.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM

AV6
Originally Posted by JeffyPooh
Popp! Those are the same tires going on my car next week, Hakkawhatever 7 *studded* in stock size 245/40-18. :-)

Something for everyone to think about is the following: One may get stuck in snow, but ice on the road can cause one to crash.
i think front and rear are different size. match it correctly according to owners manual and wheel size

you have to remember winter tires does not make ur car invincible to snow
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 PM

2017 GLC43 'AMG'
My present car is 4Matic and has the same size tires on all four corners (not staggered).

One reason i stuck to the same size is because that's exactly what the car's operating manual says; 17" and/or narrower are not listed as options. Another reason is i want the new rims i'll be getting to be for summer.

I had Nokian studded tires on my last car (C240 4Matic) and they worked out quite well for the icy back road I have to deal with. I was able to stop and start on an icy hill that you couldn't even stand on. And the only snow that could stop me was when it lifted the car off the ground.

I've been driving in Canada for well over 30 years, so I'm well past the point of feeling invincible. But... Studded tires on a 4Matic is absolutely fricken unbelievably amazing for straight line acceleration on greasy roads. At my age, I slow down for corners... :-)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Well, it was tongue-in-cheek, as the smiley showed, but you folks have the luxury of rarely having to deal with severe snow or realizing what an early morning commute in a foot or two of that stuff, possibly not yet plowed, feels like. His post emphasized dealing with "crazy" snow and not sacrificing any traction for the sake of upsizing his tires, which turn out to be mutually inconsistent conditions. If a tire selection was needed to cope with endless months of sunshine, you folks would be among the first I'd ask!

No disrespect intended...mostly just envious of your "seasons"!
No worries.
Seasons? What seasons? We only have 2 types of weather here, hot or cold.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by qaz393

Incorrect. A narrower is better in snow and using the same size tire on a different size rim is fine as long as you get tires made to fit the rims.

Each tire has a range a wheel widths it is made to properly fit. Tirerack has those specs listed for tires and you just need to find a tire that'll fit anywhere from a 7.5 to an 8.5 inch wheel - very common.

To answer one of your other inane points in another post - yes a 165 would be a very good size for a winter tire. The narrower the better and the smallest wheel size possible to get the highest and most compliant sidewall.

OP - post people want a balance of dry road handling (most of the time) combined with snow and ice handling for those few really bad days. Many people worry about appearances too and feel that a really skinny tire looks funny these days (although I remember when a 165/65/15 was considered a huge tire.)

Accordingly, since you have your 17" wheels you'll want to use those. If your concern is winter safety over dry handling (my concern as well) then you can get the cheapest "studless snow tire" that you can find. General and Firestone make very highly rated snow tires.

If you want something weighed more in the direction of dry handling, but still have the snow handling capability of a true winter tire, then you'll want a "performance winter tire" like the Dunlop 3D.

In the meantime, you'll be able to scour the classifieds for people selling their 18 or 19" wheels (generally cheaper during the winter) and find a set you like. That way you'll be ready in March/April when it is time to pull the winter wheels off your car.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
w204 C300
Originally Posted by CEB
Incorrect. A narrower is better in snow and using the same size tire on a different size rim is fine as long as you get tires made to fit the rims.

Each tire has a range a wheel widths it is made to properly fit. Tirerack has those specs listed for tires and you just need to find a tire that'll fit anywhere from a 7.5 to an 8.5 inch wheel - very common.

To answer one of your other inane points in another post - yes a 165 would be a very good size for a winter tire. The narrower the better and the smallest wheel size possible to get the highest and most compliant sidewall.

OP - post people want a balance of dry road handling (most of the time) combined with snow and ice handling for those few really bad days. Many people worry about appearances too and feel that a really skinny tire looks funny these days (although I remember when a 165/65/15 was considered a huge tire.)

Accordingly, since you have your 17" wheels you'll want to use those. If your concern is winter safety over dry handling (my concern as well) then you can get the cheapest "studless snow tire" that you can find. General and Firestone make very highly rated snow tires.

If you want something weighed more in the direction of dry handling, but still have the snow handling capability of a true winter tire, then you'll want a "performance winter tire" like the Dunlop 3D.

In the meantime, you'll be able to scour the classifieds for people selling their 18 or 19" wheels (generally cheaper during the winter) and find a set you like. That way you'll be ready in March/April when it is time to pull the winter wheels off your car.
Hits that nail on the head. Listen to this guy
Old 11-05-2015, 11:46 PM

Mercedes CLK 320
size 19 winter rims and tires for E350

Hi there. I'd like to ask your opinion. I have 4 size 19" spare rims that i'd like to use this winter for my E350. The stock rims on my E350 is 18". Is it a good idea to put 19" winter tires? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Originally Posted by direkgeri
Hi there. I'd like to ask your opinion. I have 4 size 19" spare rims that i'd like to use this winter for my E350. The stock rims on my E350 is 18". Is it a good idea to put 19" winter tires? Thanks.
If you already have the rims you COULD put on 19" winter tires but will pay a premium.

On my C63 and my wife's C300 I 'downsized' to an 18 and 17 inch wheel/tire setup respectively.

The slight gain in sidewall height is nice, but more importantly I went with a square setup rather than a staggered setup so I could rotate the tires front to rear to even out the wear.

My personal preference (from actual winter use) for winter tires are as follows:

Nokian Hakka 7s, and 4s (but will go with the Hakka 8s)
Michelin X-ice 2 and 3
Conti
Blizzaks. (better ice grip than the Michelin or Contis, but not as good in the snow/dry/wet in my mind).

Nothing beats the Hakkas, and the price reflects that. Even the non-studded Hakkas are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Mercedes CLK 320
Thanks for your input.
I have the size 19" rims from a clk i previously own
and wanted to use them as winter tire set up for my E350.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
If you want to use the 19" wheels that you already have and don't mind spending the extra $$$ for a 19" winter tire versus a 17" or 18" wheel you will be fine as long as the offset will ensure no rubbing.