C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Color-matched fin antenna (08 W204)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350/'08 w204
Color-matched fin antenna (08 W204)

Does anyone have any magical information as to where to get just the upper plastic portion. Dealer wants $500 just for the part. Tried a few salvage yards, but they're not much help. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Mine is color-matched. You won't find color-matched from the dealership (except Iridium Silver and Black).
Old 10-29-2011, 02:42 PM

C350/'08 w204
Right, I need a black one, but I have access to a paint shop...so really don't care what color. Just specifying that it's the painted version (as opposed to the non-painted ones I've read about) for fitting purposes.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 PM

C350/'08 w204
Anyway....since nobody seems to know about this thing, I'll share. The dealership wanted $500 of labor to replace the fin. According to them you have to remove the headliner, etc. But, I've read that the single torx needed to remove the antenna is under the rear dome. After inspection, I've seen that it is, and will just do the work myself....although, I just briefly looked at the job.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 PM

C350/'08 w204
Still looking for the part though.....if anyone has any ideas....
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by Eickecc
Still looking for the part though.....if anyone has any ideas....
Did you ever replace the antenna?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by dolvio
Did you ever replace the antenna?
I did....It wasn't too bad. Need some info?

The bolt in the center is the only fastener that secures it to the roof of the car.

-CE
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
I did....It wasn't too bad. Need some info?

The bolt in the center is the only fastener that secures it to the roof of the car.

-CE
Hey thanks. The dealer won't do it unless the headliner is pulled down. Did you get access through the light fully? Did you replace the entire antenna including the seal?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by dolvio
Hey thanks. The dealer won't do it unless the headliner is pulled down. Did you get access through the light fully? Did you replace the entire antenna including the seal?
Now that I think of it, I never replaced the antenna entirely. The previous owner cracked the outer plastic fin, but the antenna worked fine. Also, the antenna has a small harness running up to the circuit board, from somewhere deep into the headlining. That harness is a couple feet long and I really didn't want to mess with it. If memory serves correctly, I was able to slack the harness and move the antenna up just enough to remove the screws on the underside, which released the plastic fin...for the swap.

Either way, the I spend considerable time attempting to replace the entire antenna, since I was in the neighborhood and for good measure. I'm fairly mechanically inclined too (was a Helo electrical technician in the Navy). But, that thing is a beast with the harness. getting through the dome light offered up enough room for me to pound out the dent in the roof for about 6 hours, but only by hammering it out with the handle of a socket wrench covered in electrical tape. Also thought about cutting and re-splicing the harness, but the connectors on the replacement harness looked pretty tricky, almost like coaxials. I didn't want to get that deep into it....

I wished there was an easier solution, but after months of research and actually attempting the full antenna removal, it now makes sense why this repair job is so hard to get information on.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 PM

2010 C250 4Matic
Now that I think of it, I never replaced the antenna entirely. The previous owner cracked the outer plastic fin, but the antenna worked fine. Also, the antenna has a small harness running up to the circuit board, from somewhere deep into the headlining. That harness is a couple feet long and I really didn't want to mess with it. If memory serves correctly, I was able to slack the harness and move the antenna up just enough to remove the screws on the underside, which released the plastic fin...for the swap.

Either way, the I spend considerable time attempting to replace the entire antenna, since I was in the neighborhood and for good measure. I'm fairly mechanically inclined too (was a Helo electrical technician in the Navy). But, that thing is a beast with the harness. getting through the dome light offered up enough room for me to pound out the dent in the roof for about 6 hours, but only by hammering it out with the handle of a socket wrench covered in electrical tape. Also thought about cutting and re-splicing the harness, but the connectors on the replacement harness looked pretty tricky, almost like coaxials. I didn't want to get that deep into it....

I wished there was an easier solution, but after months of research and actually attempting the full antenna removal, it now makes sense why this repair job is so hard to get information on.
What do you mean about hammering out the dent?