C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

how modifiable do you think the 2012 C350 4MATIC will be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
how modifiable do you think the 2012 C350 4MATIC will be?

I don't really like BMW or Audi compared to Mercedes, in fact I love Mercedes and pretty much hate BMW and Audi . With school and all I am working as a valet parker on the weekends and I have to say the steering on the BMWs (every model) is too heavy, it is literally like a workout to maneuver these BMWs into spots. The Audis on the other hand are too light, in fact they have no feel at all, they have that same electronic assist feel as the Hyundai Elentras that come it. When I get in my C or one to park though it is just perfect, not too hard and not to light.

Anyway, the one and only Audi that I do like is the S4 with its steering out of the equation, I love how it is very fast, good on gas and has AWD. It is pretty much in between the C63 and C350 and to me that is a sweet spot. I read that the C350 4MATIC should be coming to the US early next year, and it kind of fits the bill as a competitor to the S4, except a little slower.

So, how modifiable do you think these C350 4MATICs will be? I'm sure Renntech will develop some packages, but do you think modifications will be limited by the 4matic system? And how substantial will they be? Sub 5 seconds to 60 or close to it is probably dreaming, right? It would be great to be able to get a C that is like the S4 because I feel like a traitor wanting an S4.

I know that the old C350s and C300s can't be turbo/supercharged because there is not enough room, but do you think the new 3.5 will allow for enough room?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C300 Sport 4Matic, 911 Turbo, Fiat Abarth, Ram CTD
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
I don't really like BMW or Audi compared to Mercedes, in fact I love Mercedes and pretty much hate BMW and Audi . With school and all I am working as a valet parker on the weekends and I have to say the steering on the BMWs (every model) is too heavy, it is literally like a workout to maneuver these BMWs into spots. The Audis on the other hand are too light, in fact they have no feel at all, they have that same electronic assist feel as the Hyundai Elentras that come it. When I get in my C or one to park though it is just perfect, not too hard and not to light.

Anyway, the one and only Audi that I do like is the S4 with its steering out of the equation, I love how it is very fast, good on gas and has AWD. It is pretty much in between the C63 and C350 and to me that is a sweet spot. I read that the C350 4MATIC should be coming to the US early next year, and it kind of fits the bill as a competitor to the S4, except a little slower.

So, how modifiable do you think these C350 4MATICs will be? I'm sure Renntech will develop some packages, but do you think modifications will be limited by the 4matic system? And how substantial will they be? Sub 5 seconds to 60 or close to it is probably dreaming, right? It would be great to be able to get a C that is like the S4 because I feel like a traitor wanting an S4.

I know that the old C350s and C300s can't be turbo/supercharged because there is not enough room, but do you think the new 3.5 will allow for enough room?

I don't think room is the problem with the platform because, quite frankly, there is a ton of it. I have a feeling the 11.4-1 compression ratio has a lot to do with the limited forced induction applications.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
You can always do remote turbo. But I thought the problem wasn't so much the high compression these engines already have, but the fact that the N/A architecture without direct injection combined with limited engine space, meant that it wouldn't provide much marginal benefit.

I think that the newer C350 could be modifiable, but as always, the amount of money required to mod a c350 to get "subpar" performance, would put you in the territory near the c63's asking price. And at that level, one must ask if its worth it, or should you just anty up for the c63?

Audi always has a big mod scene because its so easy to modify them. They already have a turbo, and you can either increase the PSI of the stock turbo, or just swap it out with a bigger one relatively easy. The c350 doesn't have this ability. I would imagine that it is possible for the C250 to be easily modified though. Problem right now is that they are fairly new, and not many people have them yet. Furthermore, the amount of people that do have them, probably aren't willing to try this out, as it is a very near model and architecture.

Last edited by jctevere; 11-07-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Limited as always! Leave the thing alone & enjoy! The German tuning shops will have cost prohibitive stuff over time.

We have made all of them go like hell locally at the expense of longevity.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab 900 SE
Originally Posted by jctevere
You can always do remote turbo. But I thought the problem wasn't so much the high compression these engines already have, but the fact that the N/A architecture without direct injection combined with limited engine space, meant that it wouldn't provide much marginal benefit.

I think that the newer C350 could be modifiable, but as always, the amount of money required to mod a c350 to get "subpar" performance, would put you in the territory near the c63's asking price. And at that level, one must ask if its worth it, or should you just anty up for the c63?

Audi always has a big mod scene because its so easy to modify them. They already have a turbo, and you can either increase the PSI of the stock turbo, or just swap it out with a bigger one relatively easy. The c350 doesn't have this ability. I would imagine that it is possible for the C250 to be easily modified though. Problem right now is that they are fairly new, and not many people have them yet. Furthermore, the amount of people that do have them, probably aren't willing to try this out, as it is a very near model and architecture.
THE 2012 C350 has a totaly diff 3.5L engine WITH Direct injection, Its not a M272