C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Subwoofer install Quotes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Subwoofer install Quotes

Is the W204 C-Class that hard to work on? I have installed my audio systems in the past, but have been hesitant with the Benz. My wife bought me an Infinity Basslink for my B-Day. I totally thought I could install it using the How-Tos on this site.
1.I couldn't figure out how to remove the battery to access the available grommet.
2.Dropped the panel under the glove box and found it extremely difficult to maneuver around under the dash. I also gently pulled on the kick panels and could not get them off.
3.Experimented with mounting locations and to use the locations I chose would require custom mounting.
So I went to a few local high-end audio shops (the only ones I would trust with my car) and was quoted $200+ to simply install the Infinity Basslink in the trunk. It doesn't even require a remote turn on lead if the high-level inputs are used. They made it sound like the W204 was the biggest PITA to work on and that is why the standard $70-$80 amp install fee was inflated.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
For a small combined amp/sub unit like that you can power it off the rear SAM module on the right side of the trunk and use the rear high speaker level inputs. Shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to install.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
^what he said.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
If the shop does high quality work then its a fair price. I have a 2 amp system w a DSP processor and all speakers swapped in my newest C and it took a few hours over a few days to isntall, its not that easy to do. Forget about 15 minutes, takes that long to get it mounted let alone tap power and speaker inputs. If you have the HK system its a little easier, theres the center sub u can tap its dual voice coil, theres your inputs. If not its a pain to get to the rear speakers. And if you yank the kick panels they do come off, biggest advice is pull hard on any car, u will not break them, u have a better change breaking if you dont pull hard honestly. Be careful putting them back in, they hook together with leading edge tabs......
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Finally pulled the trigger and took my car to the high-end audio shop (Ultimate Auto in Orlando). Ended up paying $300 and they couldn't get the unit to work. It would power up but absolutely no sound. They said they spent hours testing and even hooked up to tone generator and still nothing. I am beyond disappointed. Now, I'll have to send it back to Crutchfield and try another one.
Damn!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Benz, GLA250 4matic
What subs would be reccomended to put in my C350? its an 08, Id like to do speakers too but start with subs. I want two 10s because I use my car for show and I want it to look like I have something in the trunk when I open it but still enough room for functional use...I know I need to do research and I have been but you cant hear what you read :P my bro used to have high end kickers and they were okay but I want a cleaner sound....I was thinking alpine, JL or pioneer? and what amp should I run? prob lookin to spend around $500. I want something that hits clean but crazy.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
UltimateAudio had a Lexus IS with a sweet setup in the trunk. They had JL XD series amps in the center mounted at an angle and 2 JL W3 subs flanking the amps but mounted at a slight angle towards the amps. It left an incredible amount of trunkspace and it looked amazing. You could probably do the same setup with a less expensive sub.
BTW- finally got my Infinity Basslink installed. I am amazed at how much bass this little unit produces. I have the keep the levels down otherwise the trunk vibrates like crazy.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:07 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Ill take some pics of my setup and post them for you. I custom built a box for 2 JL 12w6's than is the back wall of trunk now. Its got a step built in that goes w the shape of our floor. Powered by a HD750 in mono and the highs on doors by a xd600 running C5 650 components up front and infinity 6.5s in the back door. I have a cleansweep in the middle of trunk lid w amps on either side and a remote bass and volume control on my shifter trim plate w custom aluminum knobs to match the trim. It pounds, I cant even turn it up all the way, and its great for shows w the VIM module, plays dvd audio mixes. The box is carpeted in MB fabric. You will have to custom build to follow the contours of the trunk floor and the sides are a real pain. I also have a boston acoustics sup and amp that I replaced Im gonna sell.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 AM

I keep hearing a lot about JL from ppl who have them but when I go ask the stereo shops they end up STRONGLY reccomending something else so ive been doing a ton of research and I was thinking sole 25A1 Focals? I know they arent super subs or anything but I dont need anything crazy and I know focal is one of the top manufactures even though thats their entry level sub...I hear it is comparable to Alpine R types. And those pics?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by hotcorner216
I keep hearing a lot about JL from ppl who have them but when I go ask the stereo shops they end up STRONGLY reccomending something else so ive been doing a ton of research and I was thinking sole 25A1 Focals? I know they arent super subs or anything but I dont need anything crazy and I know focal is one of the top manufactures even though thats their entry level sub...I hear it is comparable to Alpine R types. And those pics?
Focals are well known for the mids/highs. If you want something different- look at Hertz.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 AM

2009 C300
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
UltimateAudio had a Lexus IS with a sweet setup in the trunk. They had JL XD series amps in the center mounted at an angle and 2 JL W3 subs flanking the amps but mounted at a slight angle towards the amps. It left an incredible amount of trunkspace and it looked amazing. You could probably do the same setup with a less expensive sub.
BTW- finally got my Infinity Basslink installed. I am amazed at how much bass this little unit produces. I have the keep the levels down otherwise the trunk vibrates like crazy.
I see you are in Central Florida. I'm in Winter Park and would like to see if there was a time we could meet up. I am interested in putting a sub in my car and would like to see how the Basslink is mounted and hooked up, as well as how it sounds.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by vendsit
I see you are in Central Florida. I'm in Winter Park and would like to see if there was a time we could meet up. I am interested in putting a sub in my car and would like to see how the Basslink is mounted and hooked up, as well as how it sounds.
PM'd
Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM

C230
I keep hearing a lot about JL from ppl who have them but when I go ask the stereo shops they end up STRONGLY reccomending something else
does anybody know why a stereo place would recommend a brand thats not the best? the only thing i can think of, is that maybe they are not an authorized JL dealer (shaddy)..

Ive had a plethora of different JL equipment over the years in 4 different vehicles. i've also known a handful of guys with JL setups. IMO it is simply the best stereo equipment you can buy. if you want something simple then go with the 8" W7 and any JL sub amp. you can mount them in a 1 sq. ft. box and people will think you have 2 10" or 1 12" or some other crazy set up, i know this because i've done it

even the lower end JL equipment (W0, W3) is priced competitively with the "other" stuff out there and is still better. they're hand built in the good ole USA right there in florida.

i've had my components for about 4 years now. had them with and with out an amp. they still sound as good as the day i've bought them. and ive lived in different climates too, from blisteringly hot to frost bite cold, they're verstaile like that.

jeez im starting to rant now, just my opinon bro, cheers.

sry, one final thought: if you have the money for it, and you're looking for quality, go to an actual STEREO SHOP. not best buy or "xyz wholesale electronics store." they're top of line stuff isnt gonna touch the mid grade stuff you'll find at any decent stereo shop.

onlinecarstereo.com has some good deals if you dont mind buying without the warranty
Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
JL Audio is very good, but I wouldn't say it's the BEST! For mids and highs- companies like Dynaudio, Morel, DLS and Focal Utopia series outperform JL hands down. As far as amps, JL is great for the price, but high-end amps like Audison LRx, McIntosh, and ZAPCO are true audiophile components.
Bottom Line- JL Audio is the Best Bang for the Buck components available, but if money is not a concern- there is better.
BTW-I believe the W0 and WX JL's are not made in the USA

Last edited by AkaSigFreak; 12-16-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 AM

C230
I'll admit there is better stereo out there, I was mistaken however in assuming we were talking about equipment within the realm of what is affordable by average joe. I think most people can save a lil and get the 2000-5000 that would be needed for a complete JL install. The brands u mentioned are more like 2000-5000 for each piece of equipment lol. We're both right

As for what is or is not made in the US, check this out:
http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Compan...L+Audio/719805
Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 AM

sry, one final thought: if you have the money for it, and you're looking for quality, go to an actual STEREO SHOP. not best buy or "xyz wholesale electronics store." they're top of line stuff isnt gonna touch the mid grade stuff you'll find at any decent stereo shop.

onlinecarstereo.com has some good deals if you dont mind buying without the warranty[/quote]

"actual STEREO SHOPS" Is all ive bee ngoing too...from best buy to pacific stereo or advanced stereo...all big places in so cal. They dont off the best prices for the most part but id figuer theyd know the most so I just went to get info...they didnt really help much all reccomending diffrent things and of the 8 places ive been 6 just reccomended kickers but I thinks that just because they make the most profit on it....idk. Even the JL dealers said they were "okay subs." I think Im prob just gona go with some focals. My car is for show al well as daily driver so two 10s looks nice when openeing the trunk instead of just one 8"
Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM

'10 W204 4matic

onlinecarstereo.com has some good deals if you dont mind buying without the warranty

"actual STEREO SHOPS" Is all ive bee ngoing too...from best buy to pacific stereo or advanced stereo...all big places in so cal. They dont off the best prices for the most part but id figuer theyd know the most so I just went to get info...they didnt really help much all reccomending diffrent things and of the 8 places ive been 6 just reccomended kickers but I thinks that just because they make the most profit on it....idk. Even the JL dealers said they were "okay subs." I think Im prob just gona go with some focals. My car is for show al well as daily driver so two 10s looks nice when openeing the trunk instead of just one 8"[/quote]

I couldn't agree more with getting a car stereo put in by a shop...when you jump in your car one day and the stereo doesn't come on...trouble shooting that stuff is a huge pain in the butt...but a good shop will fix it for free.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by modifiedw203guy
I'll admit there is better stereo out there, I was mistaken however in assuming we were talking about equipment within the realm of what is affordable by average joe. I think most people can save a lil and get the 2000-5000 that would be needed for a complete JL install. The brands u mentioned are more like 2000-5000 for each piece of equipment lol. We're both right

As for what is or is not made in the US, check this out:
http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Compan...L+Audio/719805
Read it carefully. " we build many of our speakers right here in the U.S.A.
Not ALL.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:33 PM

C230
D**n I was hoping you wouldn't notice!!! Lol
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
lol The W1-W7 are US Made
My other vehicle has JL XD amps and W3v3 subs and its sounds amazing so it's not like I don't like their products.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/387416...ort-utility-2d

Last edited by AkaSigFreak; 12-17-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 AM

I couldn't agree more with getting a car stereo put in by a shop...when you jump in your car one day and the stereo doesn't come on...trouble shooting that stuff is a huge pain in the butt...but a good shop will fix it for free.[/quote]

Im def gona have professional install whatever I do but Im prob gona get the subs and amps somewhere else then have a stereo shop install it and build a custom box. Ive called and know I can get the subs cheaper other places...
Old 12-19-2011, 04:50 AM

'10 W204 4matic

Im def gona have professional install whatever I do but Im prob gona get the subs and amps somewhere else then have a stereo shop install it and build a custom box. Ive called and know I can get the subs cheaper other places...
Well just know that buying equipment elsewhere and then paying a car audio shop to install the equipment really pisses them off. (I used to be in the business) Any hope of having them trouble shoot the stereo if it ever breaks is out the window, they will just blame it on bad equipment and tell you that the warr. is void because you bought it online, or where ever you purchased the equipment.

Everytime people complain about $200-300 quote to get an amp or sub installed its usually because they showed up at the shop with the equipment already and just want it hooked up. Installers won't stay in business if they only charge $50/hour to install when they aren't selling equipment as well.