C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

In the market for 08-09 c300. Advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gti
In the market for 08-09 c300. Advice please

Im graduating college in a few weeks and looking to pick up a c300. Im commuting about 100 miles a day to my new job so I would like to get something I can rely on as well as be comfortable.

If you guys could provide me with some basic info on what to keep and eye out for and what to avoid. Any major problems or maintenance needed for a car with around 40-50k on it.

When did the 08 model discontinue the flip out in-dash screen and for what reasons?

Id like to be all said and done under $25k

Just looking for some hands on advice from people who dont mind sharing.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by nofear0788
Im graduating college in a few weeks and looking to pick up a c300. Im commuting about 100 miles a day to my new job so I would like to get something I can rely on as well as be comfortable.

If you guys could provide me with some basic info on what to keep and eye out for and what to avoid. Any major problems or maintenance needed for a car with around 40-50k on it.

When did the 08 model discontinue the flip out in-dash screen and for what reasons?

Id like to be all said and done under $25k

Just looking for some hands on advice from people who dont mind sharing.
Thanks in advance

The C Class is generally a reliable vehicle. I suggest trying to find an 09 CPO vehicle from a dealer, as 08 was the launch of the US configuration vehicle. There have been anecdotal comments that the 09s have felt improved over the first year, but it is common for second year quality to improve. By 2010, C Class was top of its class for JDPower, so the slope of the trend line from 2008 is positive.

Having said all that, given your priorities and lifestage, I'd go buy a new Accord, Altima, or Sonata for the same money. Starting off a new career with increased possibilities of a car problem making you late/absent, or having unexpected expenditures (MB service/maintenance is NOT inexpensive) isn't in your best interest. There's plenty of time for a new Benz later when you are more established.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by nofear0788
The flip out screen was changed to the new screen in the new '12 models, cant say specifically why, but can speculate that a standard screen has less reliability problems (display mechanism breaking and what not....)

Originally Posted by Sportstick
There's plenty of time for a new Benz later when you are more established.
Agree somewhat. If your new job provides ample funds to be able to pay for the car and not be paying for it paycheck-to-paycheck, why not? I bought my '10 and im still in college lol. Also i do agree that a 09+ CPO would be the best way to go