C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

AMG Rim Inner Wall got Dented and Cracked ***PLEASE HELP!!!***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
AMG Rim Inner Wall got Dented and Cracked ***PLEASE HELP!!!***

So I was on my way back from LA and as I approached the on ramp for the 10E, there was a huge a** rock the size of a football that caught my eye all of a sudden. Unfortunately, I caught the rock too late and ended up running my rear wheel over it. I'm running on stock OEM AMG 18" rims with Pirellis on it but the damage was a surprise that I had never expected.

When I got home to assess the damage, I discovered that the tire was unscathed! The inner wall of these AMG rims had dented inward and cracked. The wheel hadn't gone flat because of a ripped tire, but rather because the rim wall was cracked and was unable to hold air.

Now I'm in a search for a single AMG rim to replace this nonsense and so far eBay's been my best hope for this search. Please guys, if anyone can help out I'll appreciate any and all assistance. Thanks!

Here are some photos of the damage...

Please guys, I will really, really appreciate Any and All help I can get! Thanks!!!

Last edited by mikonuj; 11-25-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 11-25-2011, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
You could weld that back up and it might just need a few extra weights
Old 11-25-2011, 12:45 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by mikonuj
So I was on my way back from LA and as I approached the on ramp for the 10E, there was a huge a** rock the size of a football that caught my eye all of a sudden. Unfortunately, I caught the rock too late and ended up running my rear wheel over it. I'm running on stock OEM AMG 18" rims with Pirellis on it but the damage was a surprise that I had never expected.

When I got home to assess the damage, I discovered that the tire was unscathed! The inner wall of these AMG rims had dented inward and cracked. The wheel hadn't gone flat because of a ripped tire, but rather because the rim wall was cracked and was unable to hold air.

Now I'm in a search for a single AMG rim to replace this nonsense and so far eBay's been my best hope for this search. Please guys, if anyone can help out I'll appreciate any and all assistance. Thanks!

Here are some photos of the damage...

Please guys, I will really, really appreciate Any and All help I can get! Thanks!!!
Ask your dealer who does their wheel repairs and go there. Don't involve the dealer who would add a hefty markup.

I think it's fixable since it's in the center. And, carefully examine the tire at the break for cord damage.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by CKreep
You could weld that back up and it might just need a few extra weights
It's a really tempting alternative, but how reliable will that be in terms of structural integrity?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by RLE
Ask your dealer who does their wheel repairs and go there. Don't involve the dealer who would add a hefty markup.

I think it's fixable since it's in the center. And, carefully examine the tire at the break for cord damage.
Thank you! How do I check for cord damage though...?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:01 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Thank you! How do I check for cord damage though...?
You could take it to a big tire store that deals with high end cars and I'll bet they would do it in a minute, thinking they might have a pending sale.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
http://www.finishlinewheels.com/MERC...TYPE+204/2010/

Just looked and came up with that. Hope you get it fixed man!
Old 11-25-2011, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Pease of mind is worth a lot. Just order a new replacement from MB and be done with it. Many of the AMG rims on Ebay have been repair jobs that may have been as bad as yours or worst.

Also, I don't see how the tire couldn't have been damaged too.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JimPap
Pease of mind is worth a lot. Just order a new replacement from MB and be done with it. Many of the AMG rims on Ebay have been repair jobs that may have been as bad as yours or worst.

Also, I don't see how the tire couldn't have been damaged too.
Agree.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 AM

2008 C300 Sport
The barrel of the wheel is where the structural support is at. Welding aluminum causes the metal to heat and cool (expand and contract). This can further weaken the wheel. Having it damaged in the center of the barrel and repairing it is not a good idea. It can be done, but I would never drive on it, and I sure wouldn't trust my family riding on it.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 AM

c220
I have a spare for sale £150 plus shipping minor kurb rash on it nothing major
Old 11-25-2011, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
looks bad, I don't think it can be fix but call this number they specialize on wheel repaires
(800) 780-9822 or (818) 780-9822
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
It's a really tempting alternative, but how reliable will that be in terms of structural integrity?
Fixable? Not likely, as the wheel in that area sees low cycle fatigue hoop stress cycles as the speed changes. Weld repairs in thin walled aluminum like this causes stress multipliers, which make the fatigue stress worse.

I would not try a repair, knowing the highest stresses in this area are at high speed.

The cracked area looks pulled out, meaning the rock hit the mid width of the tire, right where the clearance between the tire-tread inside-diameter is closest to the outer-dia of the wheel.

Last edited by kevink2; 11-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
that wheel is fixable, almost any wheel can be repaired. The ? is the worth and safety u feel towards that repair. Persoanlly I would just get an aftermarket replica if you wanna stay on the affordable side, otherwise just go to parts.com and order a new wheel, the ebay wheels are usually takeoffs or repairs, a takeoff is fine but I wouldnt pay for a repair when u can just do yours. And I had a similar crack on a set of TSW wheels off my long ago GSX-T. A tow truck lost one of his wheel lift 2x2 squre bars and was in slow lane of 2 lane highway. about 15 cars hit it and all had blowouts and I got passenger side F and R. The front blew apart the whole side the rear just like yours, exactly the same crack. I fixed that one and got 1 new one. The repair help up for 2 years til I got rid of the car
Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 AM

2010 C300
Out of curiosity, are your wheels plati-dipped or actually powder coated?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
that wheel is fixable, almost any wheel can be repaired. The ? is the worth and safety u feel towards that repair.
I did not define fixable in my post, which to me brings the wheel back to original strength.

I have done short term repairs, like when I blew a short, curved radiator hose off the t-stat housing during last session at the track, 120 miles from home. I used racer's duct tape to seal the hose crack, and used same tape to lightly attach the pressure cap to the pressurized overfill tank, so pressure could not build due to heat. I then drove home on I-95 keeping temp gauge in normal range.

... the ebay wheels are usually takeoffs or repairs, a takeoff is fine but I wouldnt pay for a repair when u can just do yours. And I had a similar crack on a set of TSW wheels off my long ago GSX-T..... The front blew apart the whole side the rear just like yours, exactly the same crack. I fixed that one and got 1 new one. The repair help up for 2 years til I got rid of the car
Assuming you did a weld repair (not JB weld), the advice is for people of similar welding skills. If it's JB weld job, you are a skilled driver and/or have a high risk tolerance, and a full size spare in the trunk.

Last edited by kevink2; 11-25-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
that wheel would have to be heated, bent back, and TIG welded. My buddy is a custom fabricator and is one of the best welders in the northeast. He was even on Discovery channel amazing machines. He did the actual repair to my TSW back then. I would bet my bank the best rigger in the land couldnt JB weld that to hold air, not even feasable.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
that wheel would have to be heated, bent back, and TIG welded. My buddy is a custom fabricator and is one of the best welders in the northeast. He was even on Discovery channel amazing machines. He did the actual repair to my TSW back then. I would bet my bank the best rigger in the land couldnt JB weld that to hold air, not even feasable.
Agreed not ever welder could do "your" weld repair, especially for free.

I mostly agree on JB weld. My bro's friend hit something at speed in his Saab 900, and sheared off the small, cast aluminum boss where the drain plug was.

Bro's fix:

>cleaned it up,
>predrilled and screwed small metal screws in good alum around hole, leaving the screw head about .03" before fully seated
>wove wire across hole, using proud screw heads.
>pushed JB weld into wire mesh, and around hole.

Guy drove the car 3 yrs before selling. Used suction method to drain oil.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
... a takeoff is fine but I wouldnt pay for a repair when u can just do yours. And I had a similar crack ... just like yours, exactly the same crack. I fixed that one ...
My buddy is a custom fabricator and is one of the best welders in the northeast. He was even on Discovery channel amazing machines. He did the actual repair to my TSW back then.
A dynamic account of the cracked wheel

Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Really appreciate all the advice

Thanks guys for all the feedback and advice. Though I'd like to go with a new wheel and tire, I just decided to go with a fix for now. There's a shop I found in LA called Rush Wheels and they do repairs for damages like this. I'm all set to pick up my wheel this tomorrow so we'll see how the turnout is and I'll most likely post some pics of the repair made.

Thanks again for all the feedback!!

Originally Posted by Toast
Out of curiosity, are your wheels plati-dipped or actually powder coated?
Plastidipped lol
Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Doesn't aluminum "stretch" when bent or cracked making it harder to repair?

Man, I always wonder why people don't buy the Safeguard Tire and Wheel Protection Package... Something like $850 at purchase for a lifetime of coverage on any tire or rim that doesn't hold air. ESPECIALLY, people with the AMG rims...

I got it even for my OEM 17's as well as the AMG 18 inch 6 twin spokes on the E coupe.

Could you tell me about what size the rock was and how fast you were going when you hit it??? My front left rim is vibrating and they won't replace it unless it's leaking air.....
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 PM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
i...did not even know they had a package like that available. figures, because, I didn't even know whether I had halogen or xenon lighting when i first got the car. lol.

I was approaching an onramp at about 40mph. the rock was about the size of a football. (that might even be an understatement)

Originally Posted by dcjwlee
Doesn't aluminum "stretch" when bent or cracked making it harder to repair?

Man, I always wonder why people don't buy the Safeguard Tire and Wheel Protection Package... Something like $850 at purchase for a lifetime of coverage on any tire or rim that doesn't hold air. ESPECIALLY, people with the AMG rims...

I got it even for my OEM 17's as well as the AMG 18 inch 6 twin spokes on the E coupe.

Could you tell me about what size the rock was and how fast you were going when you hit it??? My front left rim is vibrating and they won't replace it unless it's leaking air.....