C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Transmission lag 2011 model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2011 | 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by akmerc
Not sure if you think I've got a diesel or not. But I'm running the 3L V6 naturally aspirated engine....
My bad ... I looked at xispaki's info and thought diesel. "Mercedes W204 C220 CDI". Advice holds for SB, and oil weight for cold temp locations.

[QUOTE=akmerc;4981512]To me the lag is a double edged sword. Like others have mentioned it does make the car very nice and smooth when taking off from a stop which I really like. But it also makes the car feel sluggish when you want to downshift and accelerate while driving...[/QUOTE]

Feel... another fix from the SB.

Old 12-29-2011 | 02:58 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
So right now I'm thinking that the SB would be great for the feel of the car while driving, passing, and general around town activity.

One thing I don't want is to lose that nice smooth luxury feel at take off. Unless of course you want to break some necks and rip off the line....
Old 12-30-2011 | 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Some people that have a SB love it, and sme say it's the best mod. Call them to make sure it works with the 2012.

It works on your perception of power. I had rented a chevy, quite a bit ago, and thought it had a very powerful engine after driving it. Pop the hood to find a small engine. This was drive-by-cable car, with a carburator. The throttle pulley, normally round, had a "cam" oblong shape that opened the throttle quickly for the 1st 1/2 of pedal depression, but push for the last half and little power was gained. Similar to the SB logic.

Old 12-30-2011 | 12:19 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevink2
Some people that have a SB love it, and sme say it's the best mod. Call them to make sure it works with the 2012.

It works on your perception of power. I had rented a chevy, quite a bit ago, and thought it had a very powerful engine after driving it. Pop the hood to find a small engine. This was drive-by-cable car, with a carburator. The throttle pulley, normally round, had a "cam" oblong shape that opened the throttle quickly for the 1st 1/2 of pedal depression, but push for the last half and little power was gained. Similar to the SB logic.

Interesting for sure, thanks for the input and point of view. For now I'm really loving my first MB!
Old 12-31-2011 | 12:03 AM

2009 c300 sport
Thanks for the postings. AT first I thought this throttle response/transmission delay was an isolated issue with my wife's car only. Now I feel so much better that this is the norm for C class.

Ours is a 2009 c300 sport. We bought it new and has 14K miles on it now. She drives it most of the time and does not notice any difference from our other cars. I occasionally have a chance to drive it and can feel the delay response every time. The response is no difference in C or S mode. It still has that 1-2 seconds delay between pressing on the gas pedal to actually hear/feel the car response. I have not asked the dealer to look into it because during most of the normal driving condition, it is bearable. I have driven a few 2011 c300 service loaner cars. The response is slightly better on the 2011 model but not by much.

It is one thing to anticipate the delay and work with it during normal driving. It is a total different issue when instant response is needed to avoid a potential accident/emergency maneuver.

I am surprised that MB has not fix this issue by now. I wonder if this issue apply with the E/S classes. Probably this is not an issue with the AMG's. One wonder if the technology may be trickle down the line???
Old 12-31-2011 | 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by redlotus
Thanks for the postings. AT first I thought this throttle response/transmission delay was an isolated issue with my wife's car only. Now I feel so much better that this is the norm for C class.

Ours is a 2009 c300 sport. We bought it new and has 14K miles on it now. She drives it most of the time and does not notice any difference from our other cars. I occasionally have a chance to drive it and can feel the delay response every time. The response is no difference in C or S mode. It still has that 1-2 seconds delay between pressing on the gas pedal to actually hear/feel the car response. I have not asked the dealer to look into it because during most of the normal driving condition, it is bearable. I have driven a few 2011 c300 service loaner cars. The response is slightly better on the 2011 model but not by much.

It is one thing to anticipate the delay and work with it during normal driving. It is a total different issue when instant response is needed to avoid a potential accident/emergency maneuver...???
As I said before, I've never seen proof that the ECU has lag programmed in. A little data-logging is needed.

Glyn has mentioned that the auto-trans ecu can be confused by slight pedal depressions for an ambiguous downshift request. I have learned that decisive, quick, consistent pedal motion will prevent this, and give proper response. Learn what it takes to get a quick downshift for a given situation. It will include a rapid pedal depression a specific amount to achive a crisp single or double down shift. It takes practice.

Also, driving the car gently will allow the adaptive programing to exacerbate this problem. Take it out for a hard drive a few times a week.

You can learn about the throttle signal delay by studying Fig1 in the White Paper testing:

White Paper Response Testing

I agree you should not have to learn this, but adaptive control is a big contributer, as is MB's "Fig1" throttle response curve.

Last edited by kevink2; 12-31-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2011 | 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevink2
As I said before, I've never seen proof that the ECU has lag programmed in. A little data-logging is needed.

Glyn has mentioned that the auto-trans ecu can be confused by slight pedal depressions for an ambiguous downshift request. I have learned that decisive, quick, consistent pedal motion will prevent this, and give proper response. Learn what it takes to get a quick downshift for a given situation. It will include a rapid pedal depression a specific amount to achive a crisp single or double down shift. It takes practice.

Also, driving the car gently will allow the adaptive programing to exacerbate this problem. Take it out for a hard drive a few times a week.

You can learn about the throttle signal delay by studying Fig1 in the White Paper testing:

White Paper Response Testing

I agree you should not have to learn this, but adaptive control is a big contributer, as is MB's "Fig1" throttle response curve.

This is all really good advice. I've noticed that quickly depressing the throttle to the desired distance is the best thing you can do - it really makes a difference. Although I'm not sure that logic applies to flooring it... still trying to figure that aspect out...