C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Cadillac ATS & Ford Fusion/Mondeo (C Class Competitors) Reveal Tonight in Detroit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
The 2013 Ford Fusion is looking pretty impressive. Ford has certainly impressed with their turn-around. Really great new vehicles. I've become a Ford fan again. GM on the other hand, not so much. Chrysler, well, I feel like there is a special rung of hell reserved for them.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by acr2001
Chrysler, well, I feel like there is a special rung of hell reserved for them.
Don't leave us hanging! What was the story behind that one?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Chrysler, well, I feel like there is a special rung of hell reserved for them.
Completely disagree with this..

The latest Chrysler products are just as good as the Fords. Go drive a new 2012 Grand Cherokee or 300C. The new Dodge Dart looks really great for a $16k car as well.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Oh, back on topic....I love the ATS. I honestly will consider it for my next car. The exterior is a bit blander than I had hoped (the coupe variant should remedy that), but the interior is gorgeous. It blows away the refreshed C-Class interior imo. The 270hp turbo4 6speed sounds more appealing than the measly 201hp in the C250 as well.

Im hoping the new B-Class 4 door coupe leans toward the sporty side to recapture some of the youthfulness the C-Class has lost. If it does, I'd most likely stick with MB.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM

2008 C300 6speed, 2015 GLK 250 2017 E400 wagon
I've been a GM guy all my life. Actually Traded in a GM to Buy My Benz. This Caddy ATS will only sell to caddy lovers trust me. Like some others have said. The Catera was a disaster for GM. I have lots of GM dealer connections. They Cry that they have to Carry the caddy brand on their lot. Because no one buys Caddy. This might be a small boost. But don't think this will dent the MB/Euro mid size sedan market.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Well - those "moneymakers" put them in the can - Federal bailout!
This was the major cause of the downfall of the big 3 - they stuck all of their eggs in one basket without looking into the obvious future.
Hence, I used the word WERE.

And there were a whole bunch of other factors, too, behind the bailout. Not just putting the eggs in one basket when it comes to manufacturing cars.

Originally Posted by DonjuanOriginal
I've been a GM guy all my life.
I've also been a GM guy for a long time, too. At least as long as I've been MB guy , and I hope nothing but the best for GM. I would like to see them succeed, but they have been shooting themselves in the foot for so damn long time, that it's not even funny...

If somebody wants to know more about what happened behind the scenes at GM you might want to read a book called "Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business" by Bob Lutz. Very interesting book.

Last edited by TexFinn; 01-10-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I've read the books. The biggest problem with the US big three has long been **** poor senior management. Crap always starts at the top!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by DonjuanOriginal
I've been a GM guy all my life. Actually Traded in a GM to Buy My Benz. This Caddy ATS will only sell to caddy lovers trust me. Like some others have said. The Catera was a disaster for GM. I have lots of GM dealer connections. They Cry that they have to Carry the caddy brand on their lot. Because no one buys Caddy. This might be a small boost. But don't think this will dent the MB/Euro mid size sedan market.
I see we have a bunch of negative Nancy's again...have any of you ever owned a Cadillac???

And DonJuan, do some research for crying out loud, Cadillac sales are as strong as ever, specifically the CTS and SRX, despite the mid year discontinuation of the DTS, they had a banner 2011 as far as sales in units is concerned.

I currently own a CTS, excellent car, no issues, would buy another no doubt.

I like the ATS, will definatley take a look when they hit the dealers. I think this ATS is going to be a huge hit, and beleive it will certainly draw customers from other makers once it makes it mark in the streets. The interior of Cadillac's new cars is just top notch, not clear on the hate there either? And again, I know this is all personal opinion based, but holy christ that new Fusion is hideous looking - I would take the current model's styling over that Hyundai wannabe any day of the week.
Attached Thumbnails New Cadillac ATS & Ford Fusion/Mondeo (C Class Competitors) Reveal Tonight in Detroit-scattilac.jpg  

Last edited by Scat01; 01-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Cadillac should confine it's marketing efforts to the US & maybe a few throw-away Arab states. Ford will continue to do well in Europe with Mondeo, Focus & Fiesta etc.

Cadillac's multiple & galactically unsuccessful efforts to make any headway in the European markets should be proof enough. Even Lexus has little penetration in Europe.

The Europeans consider these cars to be tacky, incompetent pieces of bling that violate their sensibilities. To even attempt to market the completely irrelevant Escalade in Europe show's GM management's level of delusion.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-10-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Euro Mondeo

The new Mondeo following the “One Ford” global directive. Only minor differences in indicator lights etc. Interesting to see rear design language lifted from the "Evos" concept shown in Frankfort. (bit of Maserati)

Attached Thumbnails New Cadillac ATS & Ford Fusion/Mondeo (C Class Competitors) Reveal Tonight in Detroit-new-ford-mondeo-unveiled-european-market_1.jpg   New Cadillac ATS & Ford Fusion/Mondeo (C Class Competitors) Reveal Tonight in Detroit-new-ford-mondeo-unveiled-european-market_2.jpg   New Cadillac ATS & Ford Fusion/Mondeo (C Class Competitors) Reveal Tonight in Detroit-new-ford-mondeo-unveiled-european-market_3.jpg   New Cadillac ATS & Ford Fusion/Mondeo (C Class Competitors) Reveal Tonight in Detroit-new-ford-mondeo-unveiled-european-market_4.jpg   New Cadillac ATS & Ford Fusion/Mondeo (C Class Competitors) Reveal Tonight in Detroit-bfb233b41b6194e7582d21a77fcf7.jpg  

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by C300Kid
... 2012 Grand Cherokee (based on ML) or 300C (based on E)....
See insert in red above.

Since you are posting on a MB forum I feel justified in saying:

What are you talking about again?

I've read the books. The biggest problem with the US big three has long been **** poor senior management. Crap always starts at the top!
Wonder what they drive when out of the public view?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM

2008 C350 Sport
The new Mondeo following the “One Ford” global directive. Only minor differences in indicator lights etc. Interesting to see rear design language lifted from the "Evos" concept shown in Frankfort. (bit of Maserati)

What a difference a package makes - this car looks very nice and sporty as opposed to that greenish car on the previous page...thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Originally Posted by Sportstick
For better or worse, that is the production vehicle and was introduced to the public tonight at the beginning of the week of reveals of new vehicles at the Detroit International Auto Show.
SportSick, where in Michigan are you located? Im in the Grosse Pointe area. Good to see more Michiganders here! Hope to see you on the road some day!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jchochla
SportSick, where in Michigan are you located? Im in the Grosse Pointe area. Good to see more Michiganders here! Hope to see you on the road some day!
I'm over by West Bloomfield and use MB Novi and MotorWerks. I don't often get to the east end of M59 or I-696, but if you're in the middle around Woodward, keep your eyes open! I get to Birmingham quite a bit. You'll know me by my license plate....(and btw, there is a "t" in the second part of my screen name! )

You should come over to Oakland County and try a few laps on some of our new traffic circles!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
The new Mondeo following the “One Ford” global directive. Only minor differences in indicator lights etc. Interesting to see rear design language lifted from the "Evos" concept shown in Frankfort.
That heavily airbrushed interior pic does look every bit as good as the facelift C but the outside.....O my goodness.

That huge fishmouth on the bow is reminiscent of so many existing Asian labels and US pickups.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Honda must be fed up that the whole world is adopting it's steering wheel design. The Mondeo nose is a slimmed down version of the previous Focus & Fiesta look with influence from having Aston in-house for a while. It also has much in common with the Volvo S60 nose which still shares Mondeo DNA. The Europeans will like it. Certainly a lot better than the hideous Cadillac nose.

But - European & US auto design tastes have always been polls apart & are probably destined to stay that way. I come from a country aligned with Europe in this regard.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-12-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 AM

1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe

That ATS does look better to me than the CTS which isn't ugly to me, but I would have a hard time buying it now as is. Waiting for the styling to calm down.

I'm not sure why you would put them down for throwing power at their cars. The C250 I just bought the wife could use some power thrown at it for sure. I like most things about the car minus the power and mediocre choice in front suspension (good enough but being nit picky as I still remember even the Civic from the late 90's having a double wishbone front suspension).

The big three moaning and groaning with the same comments being made ad nauseam is getting old, so hopefully GM makes a splash in the near future and keeps the current success going.

I would rather see them succeed and be around to provide another viable option. More choice equals more fun.