C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 CDi Estate
My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate

OK, so I've had this car for about 6 months now, and have driven about 6000km's so I thought I could give everyone a more thorough opinion of the car now

We have a couple of young kids so I pre ordered the C250 CDI Estate car though our local dealer around March or April last year as I wanted the new console layout and the new cdi engine (I had never driven it, but the specs looked good).

I ordered it with AMG Pack, Vision Pack, Rear Vision Camera, Electric Tailgate and Factory Tint.

All up in Aus, this is normally about $90K on road , I got a reasonable discount on this. I know you guys in the US are probably cringing about now!

It arrived in July, and has been my daily driver since then. Prior to that I had a 2010 BMW X5 (now wifes car) and prior to that a BMW e92 325i Coupe.

The easiest way to put down my thoughts is a list of pros and cons, so here goes:

Pros:
-Well laid out interior, electronics are all excellent and cannot fault anything.
-Headlights that turn are cool!
-Good fuel economy although I am not getting near the advertised 5L/km, more like 8l/km. That could be my lead foot though.
-Easy car to drive, very smooth ride.
-Looks

Cons:
-Engine really does not sound nice in the cabin.
-Seats aren't as comfortable as X5.
-Throttle response is lacking.
-I cannot get used to the engine turning off, I find it mostly inconvenient in stop/start peak hour traffic and also in hot weather the A/c stops so I usually turn it off.
-Boot space isn't actually all that large.
-Does not feel all that "settled" when throwing it in to quick corners.
-Iphone doesn't tether to Comand Online.

Verdict:

I feel the interior is better than that of the BMW's. Layout, quality of materials and general engineering is flawless. I haven't had any problem at all with the car, it all just works 'nicely'.

Its not really a rewarding car to drive, I expected a little more performance. The sounds of the engine when you put your foot down is just not right. The diesel in our X5 3.0d sounds way more sporty and I would guess that it would easily beat the C250 in a sprint as the C seems sluggish off the line.

Overall I can't fault the general engineering of the car, but I think that Mercedes could have spent some more time on getting the engine to sound less "agricultural" and also some slight more sports handling dynamics and it would really be perfect for me.

Verdict:

Whilst it is a great car, I have a hunger for more performance! I may end up replacing the C, we'll see if something else takes my fancy - nothing has yet though.

If you are trying to substitute a sporty car for the C250 CDi, this probably isn't the right car to choose.

I hope this is helpful, would love to hear others opinions of their 2012 C's.

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate-img_0770.jpg   My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate-img_0771.jpg   My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate-img_0772.jpg   My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate-img_0773.jpg   My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate-img_0775.jpg  

My new(ish) 2012 C250 CDI Estate-img_0776.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Sounds as if you should have bought the BMW or Audi. Have you test driven the MB V6 diesel ?

In my humble opinion ! one should always test drive & do exhaustive research before buying to avoid disappointment especially with a <A$90,000 price tag.

Sorry you are disappointed.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 AM

C250 CDi Estate
Don't get me wrong, the car is better built than the BMW's I have had (cannot comment on Audi as I've never really looked at them).

I guess I'm just a bit conflicted and probably deep down I'm trying to justify a reason to get and get a C63.

Really, the only things I don't love about my current car are 'fixed' in the C63.

The only problem is cost!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by mtarone
Don't get me wrong, the car is better built than the BMW's I have had (cannot comment on Audi as I've never really looked at them).

I guess I'm just a bit conflicted and probably deep down I'm trying to justify a reason to get and get a C63.

Really, the only things I don't love about my current car are 'fixed' in the C63.

The only problem is cost!

Ahhh ,now all is revealed...... a closet C63 fan

You must be driving it like a C63 to use 8l/100 km.

Will be interested to know how long your rear tyres last. I drive my 220CDI like a grandpop ( which I am ) & only achieved 34,000 km!!

Enjoy all that torque,500 Nm I think ?

JC.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 PM

C250 CDi Estate
Yep, the torque is 500nm, I have a strong feeling my tyres will not last 34,000kms haha
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by mtarone
OK, so I've had this car for about 6 months now, and have driven about 6000km's so I thought I could give everyone a more thorough opinion of the car now

We have a couple of young kids so I pre ordered the C250 CDI Estate car though our local dealer around March or April last year as I wanted the new console layout and the new cdi engine (I had never driven it, but the specs looked good).

I ordered it with AMG Pack, Vision Pack, Rear Vision Camera, Electric Tailgate and Factory Tint.

All up in Aus, this is normally about $90K on road , I got a reasonable discount on this. I know you guys in the US are probably cringing about now!

It arrived in July, and has been my daily driver since then. Prior to that I had a 2010 BMW X5 (now wifes car) and prior to that a BMW e92 325i Coupe.

The easiest way to put down my thoughts is a list of pros and cons, so here goes:

Pros:
-Well laid out interior, electronics are all excellent and cannot fault anything.
-Headlights that turn are cool!
-Good fuel economy although I am not getting near the advertised 5L/km, more like 8l/km. That could be my lead foot though.
-Easy car to drive, very smooth ride.
-Looks

Cons:
-Engine really does not sound nice in the cabin.
-Seats aren't as comfortable as X5.
-Throttle response is lacking.
-I cannot get used to the engine turning off, I find it mostly inconvenient in stop/start peak hour traffic and also in hot weather the A/c stops so I usually turn it off.
-Boot space isn't actually all that large.
-Does not feel all that "settled" when throwing it in to quick corners.
-Iphone doesn't tether to Comand Online.

Verdict:

I feel the interior is better than that of the BMW's. Layout, quality of materials and general engineering is flawless. I haven't had any problem at all with the car, it all just works 'nicely'.

Its not really a rewarding car to drive, I expected a little more performance. The sounds of the engine when you put your foot down is just not right. The diesel in our X5 3.0d sounds way more sporty and I would guess that it would easily beat the C250 in a sprint as the C seems sluggish off the line.

Overall I can't fault the general engineering of the car, but I think that Mercedes could have spent some more time on getting the engine to sound less "agricultural" and also some slight more sports handling dynamics and it would really be perfect for me.

Verdict:

Whilst it is a great car, I have a hunger for more performance! I may end up replacing the C, we'll see if something else takes my fancy - nothing has yet though.

If you are trying to substitute a sporty car for the C250 CDi, this probably isn't the right car to choose.

I hope this is helpful, would love to hear others opinions of their 2012 C's.

Cheers,
Matt
That is a very well written and honest review, thanks for sharing

I know you don't but if you had the requirement of the coupe variant alot of things would be very different, you certainly wouldn't have the sporty handling aspect to worry about as the coupe with AMG pack is a very different machine to the estate and sedan and the seats are mega comfortable (same as E Class) and as for the stop/start can't you keep that switched off ??

Fairly sunstantial power increases can be had for this engine, but of course not everyone will opt for that kind of thing.

I do agree with the diesel engines note not being that good, just from my test drives I thought the same thing and am hoping as many people have said that it's something you eventually get used to, otherwise the music volume will have to be loud all the time LOL
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 PM

C250 CDI Estate
HI Matt. I was surfing the net and came acros MBWorld website and found your comments about the C250 CDI Estate. How is the new Beemer? I have seen you drive past and I want to catchup with you and have an inspection. Emma stopped the other day and said you have a Mercedes Benz Adelaide Street Directory for us. That is very thoughtful of you. Will try and catchup soon. Cheers from Malcolm Snell.