C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

retrofit MBRACE from salvage car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
retrofit MBRACE from salvage car

I hvae been told repeatedly by the dealership that MBRACE (teleaid) can not be retrofitted(they also told me COMAND could not be done). Does anyone know if you can retrofit from a salvage car? After reviewing endless wiring diagrams and system function interactions I can't see why you couldn't. Unless it's about MBA not willing to turn on the system once installed.

Any clues?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Haha, I find this thread a bit "comical" as you explain how you have been repeatedly told by MB reps that it can't be done, yet you still ask. Persistence is sometimes good though...

A lot of the time, dealerships just say it can't be done because they can't order the parts or aren't willing it figure it out/do it themselves. Or perhaps that the cost of doing so would make it unfeasible.

I'm sure that MBRACE *could* be retrofitted. That is, to wire it up and install it in your car. However, it would be up to MBUSA - as you suggest, to reprogram that MBRACE system with your car's vin, and other specific data. Perhaps they might not do this...

If I were you, skip the dealership and contact MBUSA directly. They are very professional and always willing to help and give you the right information.

But you must get MBRACE from the same model and year as your vehicle that you are going to install it, because there are many iterations and minor changes in MBRACE that are not backwards compatible. As you mention Teleaid > MBRACE > and now MBRACE 2.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
For clarification when I said I called the dealership, I meant to say I called several dealerships, not the same one repeatedly. They all will have a different answer based on the service manager's technical knowledge.

I will call MBUSA and see if they can answer as well. Also thx for the info on same year. The savage car in a 2008 where I have a 2010.

This isn't an absolute gotta have retro--just a nice add-on if it can be done.