New 236.15 Fluid for 722.9 7G Tronic Plus imminent. - Page 3 - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
New 236.15 Fluid for 722.9 7G Tronic Plus imminent. >

New 236.15 Fluid for 722.9 7G Tronic Plus imminent.

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008-Present: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New 236.15 Fluid for 722.9 7G Tronic Plus imminent.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 PM
  #51  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,067
Thanked 137 Times in 126 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by AgilityControl View Post
I just had an oil change and the tech said you have some transmission fluid leaking around the drain plug. I said, are you sure, I have no fluid on my driveway. Tech said, that's because there's a shield that catches leaks. I tried to check my transmission level, but to my surprise you can not. So I am having tranny serviced next Tuesday at 47K.
This is kilometers, correct?

Do you generally do city driving or highway driving? How old is the vehicle?

Thank you sir.

PS I think you're being hosed.

Here's the drain plug...

http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techart...mall/pic02.jpg

I don't see a cover for it, and if there is, how would he see it as part of an oil change? (especially since oil changes should be done whereby the dealer extracts oil from the top...)
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 PM
  #52  
Junior Member
 
AgilityControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C-Class 350 Sedan
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
This is kilometers, correct?

Do you generally do city driving or highway driving? How old is the vehicle?

Thank you sir.

PS I think you're being hosed.

Here's the drain plug...

http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techart...mall/pic02.jpg

I don't see a cover for it, and if there is, how would he see it as part of an oil change? (especially since oil changes should be done whereby the dealer extracts oil from the top...)
He said he thinks it's the crush washer....I don't know why he didn't come get me in the waiting room. But, I'm getting it changed anyways to be sure from a local shop. I went on amazon, bought a dip stick tranny oil only to find out it can't be check. In miles not kilometers, and I drove 40K at city driving and now the last 7K highway. Plus when I get it changed, I'm going to watch and look if there was a leak.

Last edited by AgilityControl; 03-28-2017 at 11:36 PM.
AgilityControl is offline  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:39 PM
  #53  
Junior Member
 
AgilityControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C-Class 350 Sedan
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
This is kilometers, correct?

Do you generally do city driving or highway driving? How old is the vehicle?

Thank you sir.

PS I think you're being hosed.

Here's the drain plug...

http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techart...mall/pic02.jpg

I don't see a cover for it, and if there is, how would he see it as part of an oil change? (especially since oil changes should be done whereby the dealer extracts oil from the top...)
I have the direct injection engine and the 7G Tronic Plus transmission.
AgilityControl is offline  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 PM
  #54  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,067
Thanked 137 Times in 126 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by AgilityControl View Post
He said he thinks it's the crush washer....I don't know why he didn't come get me in the waiting room. But, I'm getting it changed anyways to be sure from a local shop. I went on amazon, bought a dip stick tranny oil only to find out it can't be check. In miles not kilometers, and I drove 40K at city driving and now the last 7K highway. Plus when I get it changed, I'm going to watch and look if there was a leak.
Thanks sir.

Can you not use the dipstick and break open the cover using a screwdriver? Sorry I don't have the plus tranny but I thought one can retrofit the dipstick so it would work? Pardon the ignorance
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:52 PM
  #55  
Junior Member
 
AgilityControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C-Class 350 Sedan
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Thanks sir.

Can you not use the dipstick and break open the cover using a screwdriver? Sorry I don't have the plus tranny but I thought one can retrofit the dipstick so it would work? Pardon the ignorance

There is no dipstick for tranny. It is filled underneath from what I understand. They check fluid level with thermal gun somehow. I'm still learning about it, but I'll be there when they change it. Of course I'm a little worried how the shop will do.
AgilityControl is offline  
Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
B737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 314
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
2012 GLK
Originally Posted by jmac1981 View Post
Hi all.

I've read about 20 threads and been searching, and I'm still not convinced if I should get 236.14 or 236.15 fluid. I know you mentioned to check with your VIN to determine your transmission type, but perhaps I'm not sure what you all mean by that. I've checked my VIN on a couple free VIN decoders, but none mentions the 7G Tronic or 7G Tronic PLUS.

I've found a couple sites to run my vin and here are 5 relevant pieces of info I get for transmission:
Transmission: 722964 03 901043 [transmissionType = GA]
Engine no: 272948 32 015126
Transmission Code Version 64
A89-Reduced Friction
Release date was March 2012


My car was built right around change to the 7G Tronic PLUS, so that's what is causing my uncertainty. Unfortunately, none of the VIN checking sites I found mention the terms "7G Tronic" or "7G Tronic PLUS".

Originally I was convinced after reading multiple threads that it was the 7G Tronic (because of no push button start) and was going to get 236.14, but after going to ECS Tuning to buy a kit and dropping in my year, make, model, it was prompting me to get the 236.15. The key component for ECS Tuning going 236.14 or 236.15 is whether or not it has the A89-Reduced Friction requirement. (No requirement = 236.14, Requirement = 236.15). My car, per the VIN checking site, has the requirement for reduced friction.

I think ECS is reputable, but still want to be 100% certain.

I've even gone so far as to sign up for an EPC at https://epc.startekinfo.com (and I'm very likely using it wrong), but I can't find the answer there.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
No - the new 236.15 Blue transmission fluid is for 722.9 Plus transmissions only. The present formulation is not reverse compatible.
i have this same question. ECS seems to be the only one using code A89 as the predicator between the two fluid types. While the MB bulletin in this thread seems to state otherwise.

Last edited by B737; 05-23-2017 at 11:34 AM.
B737 is offline  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM
  #57  
Super Member
 
xEryx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 841
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
i have this same question. ECS seems to be the only one using code A89 as the predicator between the two fluid types. While the MB bulletin in this thread seems to state otherwise.
Anyone figure this BS out? I have a 2012 C300 7G Tronic NOT Plus because no Start/Stop and M272. I have the ECS kit for A89 Reduced Friction which includes the Blue .15 fluid not the Red .14 because it was changed in 2010. Do all 722.9 transmission after mid 2010 receive the A89 and require the Blue .15 fluid not just the 2013 7G Tronic Plus?
xEryx is offline  
Old 09-19-2017, 09:28 PM
  #58  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: West by god Virginia
Posts: 90
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
2008 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by xEryx View Post
Anyone figure this BS out? I have a 2012 C300 7G Tronic NOT Plus because no Start/Stop and M272. I have the ECS kit for A89 Reduced Friction which includes the Blue .15 fluid not the Red .14 because it was changed in 2010. Do all 722.9 transmission after mid 2010 receive the A89 and require the Blue .15 fluid not just the 2013 7G Tronic Plus?
Just did a flush on my 2008 C300 about a month ago, after all my reading and tech responses.

Yes, any tranny 722.9 or 722.9 Plus uses the 236.15 spec blue oil after mid 2010.

Also, No you can't and is not recommended to use 236.15 oil in a mid/pre 2010 722.9 transmission.

If yours is a 2012 it will be the 236.15 oil spec.

Although I ran across a few who changed and never reported back if anything ill happened.

I stayed with spec recommended 236.14 oil for my tranny. Threw me for a loop when I first started reading up on doing a transmission oil change.

In all seriousness, I guess in a way it never has been fully answered. When I called my local MB dealer the tech referenced a change in clutch material surface and a couple other subtle changes and how it was to improve gas mileage. I had read a couple instances where some mentioned 236.14 oil the cause of conductor plate issues somehow. It's pretty confusing to be honest but in the end just recommend to stick with same type of fluid spec as manufactured with. Can't find a specific MB bulletin that recommends switching. They all say don't mix and unless you do a complete tear down of tranny would never get all out to prevent mixing at very minor levels.

Last edited by catmandoob; 09-19-2017 at 09:36 PM.
catmandoob is offline  
Old 09-20-2017, 01:37 PM
  #59  
Super Member
 
xEryx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 841
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by catmandoob View Post
Just did a flush on my 2008 C300 about a month ago, after all my reading and tech responses.

Yes, any tranny 722.9 or 722.9 Plus uses the 236.15 spec blue oil after mid 2010.

Also, No you can't and is not recommended to use 236.15 oil in a mid/pre 2010 722.9 transmission.

If yours is a 2012 it will be the 236.15 oil spec.

Although I ran across a few who changed and never reported back if anything ill happened.

I stayed with spec recommended 236.14 oil for my tranny. Threw me for a loop when I first started reading up on doing a transmission oil change.

In all seriousness, I guess in a way it never has been fully answered. When I called my local MB dealer the tech referenced a change in clutch material surface and a couple other subtle changes and how it was to improve gas mileage. I had read a couple instances where some mentioned 236.14 oil the cause of conductor plate issues somehow. It's pretty confusing to be honest but in the end just recommend to stick with same type of fluid spec as manufactured with. Can't find a specific MB bulletin that recommends switching. They all say don't mix and unless you do a complete tear down of tranny would never get all out to prevent mixing at very minor levels.
Ok. What about the change interval? The fact that all 722.9 after June 2010 use the 236.15 fluid, does that mean its interval is 76k miles and not 40k?
xEryx is offline  
Old 09-20-2017, 06:22 PM
  #60  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: West by god Virginia
Posts: 90
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
2008 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by xEryx View Post
Ok. What about the change interval? The fact that all 722.9 after June 2010 use the 236.15 fluid, does that mean its interval is 76k miles and not 40k?
I think that is a never ending debate to a degree just because MB has switched their position a couple of times it seems. I remember thinking awesome never going to do a tranny flush again with my W202

Whichever one you are comfortable with

I don't really feel confident saying either way, one way wastes money the other can waste a tranny. I didn't read up as much on the .15 spec since I wasn't using it.

From what is out there and available to read from MB it seems every 80k miles. But you know what they say about assuming.
catmandoob is offline  
Old 09-20-2017, 06:48 PM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
B737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 314
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
2012 GLK
Originally Posted by xEryx View Post
Anyone figure this BS out? I have a 2012 C300 7G Tronic NOT Plus because no Start/Stop and M272. I have the ECS kit for A89 Reduced Friction which includes the Blue .15 fluid not the Red .14 because it was changed in 2010. Do all 722.9 transmission after mid 2010 receive the A89 and require the Blue .15 fluid not just the 2013 7G Tronic Plus?

i went to the dealer, gave them my vin and they gave me the blue stuff so that was helpful trying to sort it out. when i looked through the book on my 2012 it said every 40 or 4 years so im just going by that.

its frustration because when you start researching this on the forum there is a lot of dead ends and people who post the wrong info.... my head was spinning for a few days...

Last edited by B737; 09-20-2017 at 06:53 PM.
B737 is offline  
Old 10-23-2017, 10:25 AM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 374
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
These automatic transmission issues: fluid choice, service interval et al would be funny - - - - if possible consequences were not so grim.

After downloading the proper service schedule for my M271 (2012 C250 coupe), the "book" shows transmission service under the 70,000 mile section.

I sure hope this is the straight dope. Perhaps a trip to see the local - three locations around the state capital area - would help me sleep better.



best to all,




ez
ezshift5 is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 AM
  #63  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 961
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
So what was the verdict at the end here?

If A89 Reduced Friction is found in the VIN decoder, then you use 236.15? Otherwise, .14?

I bought a 2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC with the M272 engine and no start-stop and the VIN decoder does not list A89 Reduced Friction so I guess I'll have to use 236.14 and change ATF every 40k miles or 4 years. Right?
xsever is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:41 AM
  #64  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 961
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by xsever View Post
So what was the verdict at the end here?

If A89 Reduced Friction is found in the VIN decoder, then you use 236.15? Otherwise, .14?

I bought a 2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC with the M272 engine and no start-stop and the VIN decoder does not list A89 Reduced Friction so I guess I'll have to use 236.14 and change ATF every 40k miles or 4 years. Right?
Bump
xsever is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:05 PM
  #65  
Super Member
 
xEryx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 841
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport
The verdict is that after some time in 2010 they changed from Red to Blue ATF. A89 is in all cars after 2010 so your 2012 C300 will use Blue fluid REGARDLESS 7G Plus with ECO or not.
BUT your service interval is still 40k not 78k due to that only applying to the 7G Plus.

Do not trust what VIN decoder site says 100%, if anything only about 80% of the info is correct. I just used a VIN from 2011 I found online WDDGF8BB5BR180087 and it shows A89 on EPC Datacard, but https://www.vindecoderz.com/ does not show it. You can easily see these mistakes when searching for cars online. You have decodes that tell you the car has premium pack, spoilers, aluminum trim, but when you look at the pictures of said car they have no premium, no spoiler and like burl walnut.

Last edited by xEryx; 12-20-2018 at 02:22 PM.
xEryx is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:24 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
B737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 314
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
2012 GLK
Originally Posted by xEryx View Post
The verdict is that after some time in 2010 they changed from Red to Blue ATF. A89 is in all cars after 2010 so your 2012 C300 will use Blue fluid REGARDLESS 7G Plus with ECO or not.
BUT your service interval is still 40k not 78k due to that only applying to the 7G plus.
This is what my local dealer told me as well.
B737 is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:27 PM
  #67  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 961
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by xEryx View Post
The verdict is that after some time in 2010 they changed from Red to Blue ATF. A89 is in all cars after 2010 so your 2012 C300 will use Blue fluid REGARDLESS 7G Plus with ECO or not.
BUT your service interval is still 40k not 78k due to that only applying to the 7G Plus.

Do not trust what VIN decoder site says 100%, if anything only about 80% of the info is correct. I just used a VIN from 2011 I found online WDDGF8BB5BR180087 and it shows A89 on EPC Datacard, but https://www.vindecoderz.com/ does not show it. You can easily see these mistakes when searching for cars online. You have decodes that tell you the car has premium pack, spoilers, aluminum trim, but when you look at the pictures of said car they have no premium, no spoiler and like burl walnut.
Thank you for all this great info. Can you please confirm using your EPC if tjis VIN has A89 or not? Thanks.

WDDGF8BB5CR210058
xsever is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:28 PM
  #68  
Super Member
 
xEryx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 841
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport
Also, since your 2012 has only 5k miles you will be able to clearly see blue fluid coming out of the transmission.
xEryx is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 04:34 PM
  #69  
Super Member
 
xEryx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 841
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport
See below.
I don't see A89 on yours, but we have the same transmission. Mine is 722964 03 529661 so I don't see why it wouldn't be the blue fluid. You can always drain a bit to verify.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WDDGF8BB5CR210058.pdf (55.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by xEryx; 12-20-2018 at 04:39 PM.
xEryx is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 03:25 AM
  #70  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 961
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by xEryx View Post
See below.
I don't see A89 on yours, but we have the same transmission. Mine is 722964 03 529661 so I don't see why it wouldn't be the blue fluid. You can always drain a bit to verify.
Thank you for the PDF. Did you car have A89 listed in EPC or not? It will definitely be interesting to drain a bit of fluid and check its color and compare that to not having A89 in the options list.
However, I was advised not to change the ATF now, even if it's past its 4 year interval, because the car only has 5,920 miles. I'll do that next year or wait until I have 30-40k miles on the car. What do you think?
xsever is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 02:09 PM
  #71  
Super Member
 
xEryx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 841
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport
Mine does list A89 and so does every other 2010+ I've looked up, not sure why yours would be the exception unless someone messed up the datacard. I recommend you do it every 40k miles OR 4 years whichever comes first. That means you are 2 years overdue and should do it asap. Sure the oil won't be so bad because the car only has 5k miles, but Mercedes specifically states 40k or 4years, so no harm in listening to them.
xEryx is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to xEryx For This Useful Post:
xsever (12-21-2018)

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 236.15 Fluid for 722.9 7G Tronic Plus imminent.


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: