C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Took car to dealer for shakie wheel. READ please need opinions ASP

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Took car to dealer for shakie wheel. READ please need opinions ASP

This Morning I took my 2010 c300 to the dealer because ever since friday i noticed my car was pulling to the right and the steering wheel was a little shakie. I knew I was gonna be needing new tires since i had the stock tires.
I got about 31,000 miles.

dealer just called me and left me a voicemail, i knew it was gonna cost so i called back and dude said this.

So he said 4 things.

One; "right front wheel is slightly bent" and that he knows a guy that charges $150 to fix the wheel.

Two; need 4 new tires at a cost of $1024.00

Three; that there is some panels under the wheel well or under the front bumper that are loose and cracked and it will cost $325.00 to fix.
I DONT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, THERE IS NO NOTICEABLE DAMAGE AROUND THE VEHICLE AND I DONT EVEN RECALL HITTING A POTHOLE TO BENT THAT FRONT RIM.

FOUR: AND THIS ONE IS NEW TO ME. he said "that my front right is lower than my front left and that Mercedes Benz is aware if this problem" they are going to replace my springs at no cost and then they have to do an alignment after the replacement which is also at no cost.

what the hell? Should i just get "new rims and tires" its probably gonna cost me about the same if i buy the rims and tires at Tirerack.com

and eventually fix that one rim and use those old rims as my "winter Tires"
what the hell front panels is he talking about for 335 bucks? that might be slapping with the tires? damn.....

Last edited by dgghostkilla; 03-05-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 AM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
I need an economic solution. not really a baller when it comes to having money haha
Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM

2009 Evo X 420 AWHP, 2012 C250 Sedan
the panel under your front is the plastic crap that covers the bottom of your engine bay.. not worth it.. they don't really do nothing.. not like skid plates.. these are plastic

you can get tires at america's tires or discount tire or any tire shop for cheaper than that.. and probably better tires.. fix the rim or get new rims is up to you..

but i would have them change the springs and do alignment for free..

stealer ship should get $0 and you go spend the money for better tires/rims
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by dgghostkilla
This Morning I took my 2010 c300 to the dealer because ever since friday i noticed my car was pulling to the right and the steering wheel was a little shakie. I knew I was gonna be needing new tires since i had the stock tires.
I got about 31,000 miles.

dealer just called me and left me a voicemail, i knew it was gonna cost so i called back and dude said this.

So he said 4 things.

One; "right front wheel is slightly bent" and that he knows a guy that charges $150 to fix the wheel.

Three; that there is some panels under the wheel well or under the front bumper that are loose and cracked and it will cost $325.00 to fix.
I DONT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, THERE IS NO NOTICEABLE DAMAGE AROUND THE VEHICLE AND I DONT EVEN RECALL HITTING A POTHOLE TO BENT THAT FRONT RIM.

FOUR: AND THIS ONE IS NEW TO ME. he said "that my front right is lower than my front left and that Mercedes Benz is aware if this problem" they are going to replace my springs at no cost and then they have to do an alignment after the replacement which is also at no cost.

what the F**k? Should i just get "new rims and tires" its probably gonna cost me about the same if i buy the rims and tires at Tirerack.com

what the f**k front panels is he talking about for 335 bucks? that might be slapping with the tires? damn.....

Let's work in reverse order:

#4....let them do the repair
#3....discretionary repair most likely...can probably choose to postpone, certainly until you get a chance to see the car on the lift and understand better what the issue is
#2...price is far too high....get on tirerack.com and price out with shipping to your address three top rated all season UHP tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE970A/S Pole Position, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Continental DWS...print out those shipped prices and either let the MB dealer price-match, or say no to the dealer and a local Discount Tire, etc. will do that for you...looks closer to $700 (plus mount/balance, of course)
#1...close call...if not too bad, a fix can work for that price. A good set of replica rims is about $500. A new MB wheel is about $400, as I recall. Worth a try, as if the repair does not result in eliminating the shimmy upon wheel balance, the cost should be refundable. Make sure the repair order says, "Repair bent wheel to balance without vibration".

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Well I just told my service man to hold off on the monetary stuff.
Gonns go home n start figuring **** out. At least new springs and another alignment
Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Best to have the new tyres on when the dealer does the alignment.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:16 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Thank you gents
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
1) What model tires? What size ... 18" ?

2) Do the tires have an abnormal wear pattern?

3) How many rotations done (sport = side to side) ?

4) Pic looks like a sport version, is it?

With 31000 miles, sport staggered, it is likely near replacement time, especially the rears. As others said, check this board for tire less expensive tire options, including buy & install by tirerack.

Right front is most probable for wheel damage due to ruts, objects, etc. Low aspect ratio tires also encourage this type of damage.

Get free springs, and politely argue that this results in a change in ride height, as they said, and therefore they should take care of the resulting alignment that is needed.

Hopefully, the RF tire was damaged, creating the pull, and the bent wheel caused the shakes. So you would just be out the cost of new tires (which may have been due), and the bent wheel fix for $150, which is not a bad price.

______________ *** All Members, New and some Old *** _______________

please click on User CP at the top left of page, just below the thread title. Then add the following to either Profile and/or Signature , selecting buttons on the left side of that page:

year, model, if it's a diesel, Sport or Lux, 4MATIC or RWD, Location (city & state), and non-US country if applicable.

This helps others respond to issues, like tires, part sales, etc. Thanx

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Just picked Up my baby from the dealer. It's all nice and clean now :-)

So the steering wheel is no longer shakie.

They replaced both front coil springs and did an alignment. This was done for free.
From what the serviceman said there is a known issue where one of the coil springs is higher than the other.
The car still pulls to the right since the right front wheel still slightly bent. That's what the serviceman said and I confirmed it driving it home.

2010 C300 4matic Sport version
17 inch wheels stagger continental stock tires
PA, United States
I noticed the right front tire Is more worn that the left. It's actually very noticeable
It was my undstandingthat you don't rotate stagger wheels no?

I choose not to get the $1024.00 tires and did not get whatever plastic panel for the $335.

Basically I didn't spend any money. Now I'm looking into just buying some wheels/tires from tirerack.com or similar site.
Eventually as I have money I'll get the one rim fixed and put some winter tires. Or

getting wheels/tires of same size so i can rotate them? What are thoughts on this?
gonna talk it over with the woman, but knowing her she is going to suggest to fix the wheel for $150 and buy new tires.

Last edited by dgghostkilla; 03-05-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Just picked Up my baby from the dealer. It's all nice and clean now :-)

So the steering wheel is no longer shakie.

They replaced both front coil springs and did an alignment. This was done for free.
From what the serviceman said there is a known issue where one of the coil springs is higher than the other.
The car still pulls to the right since the right front wheel still slightly bent. That's what the serviceman said and I confirmed it driving it home.

2010 C300 4matic Sport version
17 inch wheels stagger continental stock tires
PA, United States
I noticed the right front tire Is more worn that the left. It's actually very noticeable
It was my undstandingthat you don't rotate stagger wheels no?

I choose not to get the $1024.00 tires and did not get whatever plastic panel for the $335.

Basically I didn't spend any money. Now I'm looking into just buying some wheels/tires from tirerack.com or similar site.
Eventually as I have money I'll get the one rim fixed and put some winter tires.

I'm thinking on getting wheels/tires of same size so i can tire them? What are thoughts on this?
gonna talk it over with the woman, but knowing her she is going to suggest to fix the wheel for $150 and buy new tires.
Staggered wheels can be swapped left/right if the tires are not directional. Some are and it's shown by an arrow on the sidewall pointing in the direction of rotation. My Bridgestone RE050As (better than the cheaper 760) are marked "outside" so I swap them left/right whenever I have the wheels off.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Yes you can rotate side to side.

You could take the opportunity to go with same size wheel/tires for all corners, like all front wheel size. With non-directional tires, this allows the desireable cross (X) rotation. This is the Lux model shoes, and used 17" lux wheels are normally available for much less than $100 a pop. Could then sell oem's for a few $ back.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

C300 sport 4matic
Any noticeable performance loss going to all same size using the thinner front size wheel/tire in a decent summer tire such as Continental DW?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
Any noticeable performance loss going to all same size using the thinner front size wheel/tire in a decent summer tire such as Continental DW?
good question! not sure
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM

BMW 3, MB C300
I own the same car. Is this front height diferrence thing a known issue on all 2010? If so, I guess I should bring my car in to fix it since it is still under warranty.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM

2012 C300 4MATIC, 2014 Tesla Model S P85
That's not a bad price. I know for a fact that some dealerships sell refurbished wheels around $200-300. Up to you, but you need to fix this as this is probably what's causing the shake wheel.

Go on tirerack.com and purchase your own tires and have them installed at a local tire shop. Don't align until #4.

Not worth it. These are plastic pieces that MB loves to charge an arm and leg for.

what the hell? Should i just get "new rims and tires" its probably gonna cost me about the same if i buy the rims and tires at Tirerack.com

what the hell front panels is he talking about for 335 bucks? that might be slapping with the tires? damn.....
Take it to the dealership and let them fix it right after you get your new tires. They will align your car for free.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
I double this one. In order to do a proper alignment you need your tires and rims to be in good condition.

Problem here is that you will need to get the suspension fixed first, then rim and tires, then alignment.

In that order

Originally Posted by Carsy
Best to have the new tyres on when the dealer does the alignment.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
Being that you are going to replace the tires and wheels,it want hurt them to go on the opposite side so, put the left front on the right and the right front on the left. If it is in the tire or rim then it should pull to the left , pulling to the left or right is an alignment problem, not a bent rim,, if the rim is bent enough Then you will get the shaky The steering wheel. And if you really want to do a good test, if you have a friend with her Mercedes, put his front tires on your car. good luck Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 06:03 PM

2008 C300 4MATIC
I'm having the same situation on my 2008 C300, the car goes to the right and the steering wheel shakes when braking and feels kinda loose. Where you having the same issue when braking?