C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

The Rookie Wheel Info Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350
The Rookie Wheel Info Thread

Hey guys, I really was trying to just read other posts to figure this out, but to no avail. I have put many aftermarket rims on many cars... just picked out the look and size I needed and paid for them. But as I have been looking on this board, I notice many people are concerned with "offsets".

1. Could somebody kindly explain what an offset is, What are the minimums and maximums our cars can handle, and what would each extreme look like?

2. Also, If someone could please tell me what "Rolling a fender" is, that too would be greatly appreciated.

3. If i change my wheel size, how greatly will that affect my speed / odometer, and can it be fixed / adjusted?

And (I know this sounds stupid) How do you guys think the rear fender would look(and is it possible) if it was pulled out an inch to accomodate a slightly wider tire... I've alwars thought the car would look much more aggressive with slightly wider rear fenders, but I think that maybe seeing it in real life might be another story.

Sorry for all the rookie questions... But I'm a rookie.
Hopefully this info will welp someone else too down the road.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MoneyMike23
Hey guys, I really was trying to just read other posts to figure this out, but to no avail. I have put many aftermarket rims on many cars... just picked out the look and size I needed and paid for them. But as I have been looking on this board, I notice many people are concerned with "offsets".

1. Could somebody kindly explain what an offset is, What are the minimums and maximums our cars can handle, and what would each extreme look like?

2. Also, If someone could please tell me what "Rolling a fender" is, that too would be greatly appreciated.

3. If i change my wheel size, how greatly will that affect my speed / odometer, and can it be fixed / adjusted?

And (I know this sounds stupid) How do you guys think the rear fender would look(and is it possible) if it was pulled out an inch to accomodate a slightly wider tire... I've alwars thought the car would look much more aggressive with slightly wider rear fenders, but I think that maybe seeing it in real life might be another story.

Sorry for all the rookie questions... But I'm a rookie.
Hopefully this info will welp someone else too down the road.
Thanks,
Mike
For explanations, see here: http://www.tirerack.com/about/techcenter.jsp

1. Offsets, the front you'll want I think around +45 to +48, rear you will want +50 to +55 depending on width. There are a couple of threads regarding wheels in this forum, check those out and see what others have run to confirm.

2. OEM fenders usually have a lip on the inside that can cause rubbing issues when an aftermarket wheel that sticks out too much is installed. When you hit a bump and the suspension depresses, the wheel can contact that lip. To mitigate this, people roll their fenders removing that lip and preventing contact with the fender. There is a professional tool that you can use, but the old school way was to do it with a baseball bat lol.

3. Speedo output is dictated by the overall diameter of the wheel and tire combo. If you go to a larger wheel, you'll have skinnier sidewall tires to compensate for the larger wheels. Overall, the diameter should stay within 2-3% of the OEM specs. Too large or too small will vary your speedo quite a bit. Check out sites for wheel and tire calculators to determine if you are sizing them correctly. 1010 Tires has a good one.

Rear fender flares would be nice, but it would require quite a bit of body work. You can't simply pull it out an inch and make it look good. Anything is possible, check out the C63 forum for a project that was created with large rear fenders that's now going to be placed into storage...was never driven. Looks badass though!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:57 AM

'08 C350
Thanks alot Illusive, lots of good info... And WOW, I never pictured a baseball bat as being a "Tool" used to improve the look of an MB!!! lol