C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Clutch bearing? 35K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012 | 04:07 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Question C300 Clutch bearing? 35K miles

Hi all,

I was heading to Plattsburgh this morning for work and found out a strange noise while driving. When accelerating (slowly or brutally) from 0mph on the first and second gear, I can hear a metal on metal kind of noise. While taking speed, I think the noise is still there but pretty hard to listen to because of the increasing engine/tires/wind noise.

When the car is stopped and in neutral (clutch unengaged)..if you push the gas...the noise is increasing with the RPM. If you push the clutch pedal and push the accelerator together...no noise at all.

I went to the dealer this afternoon and the SA guy did a road test. He's assuming that it is the clutch bearing. Do you think that is the only possible answer?

The car is still on warranty ...but I want to keep this car many years. The SA told me that changing a clutch bearing is a very long and complicated job. Assuming that I'm considering keeping this car for a very long time...it would be frustrating having to change a clutch or something like that 1 or 2 years after this repair and paying another 5-10 hours of MO @ 120$/h. Do you know if there's anything I can ask them to change during this repair to save on MO $?

Thanks for your answer!
Old 03-22-2012 | 08:27 PM

Sounds like an input shaft bearing. Definitely not an inexpensive repair. You could continue driving and "hope" for no major damage.
Or suck up the cost to repair and prevent any further damage.
The only other things that may be time to change are clutch and or release bearing